Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my order is currently on hold, and plan to use up the 14 days to ensure a July delivery date.

Did I understand it correctly that your order was on hold for only 2 days, and 7 days after it was put back in line you got assigned a new VIN?

My order showed as being on hold for two days. Then the hold was released and it was "waiting for VIN to be assigned". 7 days later I now have a VIN.

Reactions: GS-7
Yes, I have same issue.
Check this thread. Someone said, it took couple of wheel reboots for that problem to go away and they don't have the error anymore. I haven't had chance to test it myself.

So I ended my hold today which I placed on 6/4 so I could give up my HW3 VIN for a newer HW4 VIN. I have been constantly monitoring the MY new inventory on Tesla’s site and on Waiting For Tesla and EV-CPO. There hasn’t been an exact match for my build this whole time, and in the last few days almost all the cars popping up on new inventory were built in June, so essentially guaranteed to have HW4 (I’m getting a 7-seater, they all come from Fremont which switched to HW4 around 5/25). I thought I was good to go and didn’t want to wait any more.

I got a VIN about an hour after I ended my hold.

Would you believe - it was the exact same VIN with HW3 that I gave up about a week earlier? What a bummer! So I have already used my hold and therefore am unable to reject this VIN (again). I had to cancel the order and place a new one, losing $750 in the process ($250 order fee plus $500 price increase). I hope that being in the back of the queue is enough to avoid getting that same HW3 VIN a third time!

So I ended my hold today which I placed on 6/4 so I could give up my HW3 VIN for a newer HW4 VIN. I have been constantly monitoring the MY new inventory on Tesla’s site and on Waiting For Tesla and EV-CPO. There hasn’t been an exact match for my build this whole time, and in the last few days almost all the cars popping up on new inventory were built in June, so essentially guaranteed to have HW4 (I’m getting a 7-seater, they all come from Fremont which switched to HW4 around 5/25). I thought I was good to go and didn’t want to wait any more.

Would you believe - it was the exact same VIN with HW3 that I gave up about a week earlier? What a bummer! So I have already used my hold and therefore am unable to reject this VIN (again). I had to cancel the order and place a new one, losing $750 in the process ($250 order fee plus $500 price increase). I hope that being in the back of the queue is enough to avoid getting that same HW3 VIN a third time!
I was concerned about this too. I added a tow bar to my config after releasing the hold, then waited for an inventory car to show up and scooped it up.

I totally understand your scenario.
People having to put order in Hold, and then tracking VIN and it’s features - isn’t a great sign for Tesla itself.

I may even look for other cars (somehow the USS removal/parking in very tight spaces, phantom braking, unclear range loss on basic use, noisyness and feeling every bump as 3x worse compared to other cars we switch - the charm is dying down on me). I love AP - and the minimal maintenance, not dealing with crappy dealerships - but for a cost of 50k cash I would expect SA/delivery guys to be able to list clearly and answer every spec/technical question for new customer to pay for that car. I’m otherwise a big supporter of Elon - on all accounts but the fact that he has too many things on his plate with Twitter/SpaceX and other stuff around providing free internet, or “ethically wrong” remote work nonsense when guy himself has 50 billion plus and he moves HQ to Texas!! — I’m not sure how much making Tesla cars and it’s many many features are his focus. TLDR; FOCUS on making best cars (and competition is heating up with even recent news with Mercedes Level 3 “drive pilot” approval)

To add to it - as I looked around for trade in quotes, what Tesla offered given the “appreciating asset” nonsense with “over the air” updates and removal of radar and USS, and taking parking assist away - I cannot trust their word on their own product. Market seem to price Tesla (used) as any other ICE car (even though fundamentally their wear & tear, other factors seem to indicate otherwise).

As much as I admire and want them to do very well (making cars in US, and putting some old non inventive car makers out of business) - this lack of focus stinks.
Definitely Tesla is wearing off on me.

I really hope they listen to their customers and fix the mess. Panel gaps!! simply bizarre, service issues - please fix these before thinking of getting to mars. The tech available these days - these should be non issues.

Reactions: Flemingo and tombar
Check this thread. Someone said, it took couple of wheel reboots for that problem to go away and they don't have the error anymore. I haven't had chance to test it myself.

Mine is working without the unavailable message after retrying once.

Reactions: AbraDabra007
FML! I just got assigned a VIN for my brand new order after cancelling! It’s that same VIN a third time! I mean, on the one hand it’s impressive to get a VIN less than 24 hours after ordering. But I can’t get away from this VIN, and now that I’ve cancelled my order just to get a HW4 car, and lost $750, I feel like I’m committed at this point.

FML! I just got assigned a VIN for my brand new order after cancelling! It’s that same VIN a third time! I mean, on the one hand it’s impressive to get a VIN less than 24 hours after ordering. But I can’t get away from this VIN, and now that I’ve cancelled my order just to get a HW4 car, and lost $750, I feel like I’m committed at this point.
This is quite a saga. Sorry you are going through it. Maybe you can watch that Vin on waiting for tesla and not reorder until it disappears from there plus a couple of weeks for insurance?

Reactions: thefisch
i just got my vin for san diego delivery, it is 7SAYGDEE0PF######. What does that one mean?

edit: i used Welcome to VIN Decoding :: provided by vPIC
to 'decode' the vin and it said Fremont. Strange that it is not "PF".
How do I contact someone to verify that it is HW4? What's this I've read about an "SA", not sure what that is.
Your vin is from Fremont, so it's highly likely you have HW4. You can text your Service Advisor to ask (you can do this by replying to the same text message where you were notified your vin was assigned).

Tesla might not confirm the HW version. But there is an awesome person on Reddit (check the Model Y channel) who will check your vin for you.

Of course, always confirm visually at pickup. I'd recommend studying the what the side repeater cameras look like for HW3 vs HW4, as that's the most obvious indicator. Good luck.

Oh no! This is crazy. I think they have a one where you live and they keep assigning it to you. Did you try changing Tesla delivery showroom?