Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just posting here in case others are curious. I picked up my MYLR on Tuesday. It came from Freemont and had HW4 + matrix lights. The SA I spoke with confirmed everything they were getting on the lot with that config was from Freemont with HW4. If you're on the fence about your order for a MYLR and are in the US it seems to me there's a fair degree of certainty these will come with HW4.

Also FWIW I placed my order on June 12, had a VIN assigned Jun 13 and picked it up June 27. The turn around time is very quick these days! And I'm happy to say there were no QC issues with my car. All around a very solid experience.

Order is Pending Cancellation​

This order will be canceled since there are no holds available and you were unable to take delivery of the last assigned vehicle.

Is there a way to "save" this order (lower price) , Reps said no
but I'll get loot/points for a new order. Looks like I should place order around ~60 days prior to delivery

Last edited:
I thought even HW3 included a GPU capable of good gaming? HW4 should be much better but how much better?
You are confusing two different computers in the car.

MCUs have the big touchscreen. MCU1 was Tegra beard and played board games in the early S and X. MCU2 was Intel based and had a few more advanced games. MCU3/Z is AMD Ryzen based but only the S/X version has dedicated graphics, uses Steam’s game engine and plays a lot more games than the Intel MCU2 version. The latter it is still getting kinks out, maybe because Steam’s engine runs in a virtual machine (VM).

HWx is for self driving and has no screen. HW1 was built by (now Intel) MobilEye and can’t be upgraded. HW2, 2.5 and 3.0 are interchangeable and transition from nVidia to Tesla in house. HW4 is a different form factor, cannot be retrofit into earlier cars, and is paired w newer cameras. Tesla could build a HW3.6 later but because the old cars can only air cool it, the chip woukd have to be on a much more efficient process. Not sure the old camera wiring and placement will make that feasible years from now.

Last edited:

MCUs have the big touchscreen. MCU1 was Tegra beard and played board games in the early S and X. MCU2 was Intel based and had a few more advanced games. MCU3/Z is AMD Ryzen based but only the S/X version has dedicated graphics, uses Steam’s game engine and plays a lot more games than the Intel MCU2 version although it is still getting kinks out, maybe because Steam’s engine runs in. Virtual machine (VM).

HWx is for self driving and has no screen. HW1 was built by (now Intel) MobilEye and can’t be upgraded. HW2, 2.5 and 3.0 are interchangeable and transition from nVidia to Tesla in house. HW4 is a different form factor, cannot be retrofit into earlier cars, and is paired w newer cameras. Tesla could build a HW3.6 later but because the old cars can only air cool it, the chip woukd have to be on a much more efficient process. Not sure the old camera wiring and placement will make that feasible years from now.
Thank you for the detailed clarifications.

Reactions: Krash
Although don't the terms get interchanged a bit due to things like this? HW4 that GreenTheOnly tore down had the MCU and the Self-Driving stuff in a single board. And the newer HW4 contained integrated GPU as opposed to a plug-in daughter board from HW3

As in you could have HW3 with Intel or AMD, and you could have HW3 with AMD + GPU, but you can have HW4 with the same Ryzen too.

The main question we don't know until a Model Y HW4 gets torn down will be is HW4 a standardised unit across all models so includes the GPU part that is now integrated, or are there different versions of HW4? Even if it is the same and includes the dedicated GPU doesn't mean that the 3/Y software branch contains support for Steam. That could only exist on the S/X branch. The next question is whether Highland/Juniper/Opel have more screens like the S/X and they move to the same branch (and gain support for Steam if the GPU is there) or whether they maintain two separate UIs and Steam gets backported (if the GPU is there) #speculationisfun

Last edited:

MCUs have the big touchscreen. MCU1 was Tegra beard and played board games in the early S and X. MCU2 was Intel based and had a few more advanced games. MCU3/Z is AMD Ryzen based but only the S/X version has dedicated graphics, uses Steam’s game engine and plays a lot more games than the Intel MCU2 version although it is still getting kinks out, maybe because Steam’s engine runs in. Virtual machine (VM).

FYI the HW3 is liquid cooled (at least in the Model 3/Y) so that is not a differentiating factor. The form factor is the major difference.

FYI the HW3 is liquid cooled (at least in the Model 3/Y) so that is not a differentiating factor. The form factor is the major difference.
True, so technically it would be quicker to produce a HW3.6 that would fit on those boards and be properly cooled, but it is doubtful Tesla would do that as the S/X FSD owners who couldn’t use it would have a tantrum.

Last edited:
Although don't the terms get interchanged…
Yes, unfortunately
…HW4 that GreenTheOnly tore down had the MCU and the Self-Driving stuff in a single board…
I don’t think so. I think HW4 is still on a daughter board, just a different format daughterboard than the HW3 daughterboard
…And the newer HW4 contained integrated GPU as opposed to a plug-in daughter board from HW3…
No. No GPU on HW4. The CPU and GPU were on the same board, but the GPU is not integrated (on the CPU chip) for the S/X. I don’t think the AMD Ryzen integrated graphics 3/Y can run Steam games.
…As in you could have HW3 with Intel or AMD…
Yes, without the AMD discrete (separate) GPU that can can run Steam games
…and you could have HW3 with AMD + GPU, but you can have HW4 with the same Ryzen too…
No. HW3 with AMD but without GPU. HW4 with current S/X with a similar Ryzen and discrete GPU. I don’t think the brand new 3/Y with HW4 has a discrete GPU.
…The main question we don't know until a Model Y HW4 gets torn down will be is HW4 a standardised unit across all models so includes the GPU part that is now integrated, or are there different versions of HW4?
The GPU is not on a HW4 board. It is either on a separate daughtercard from the HW4 (old style) or the GPU is a separate chip but on the same board as the CPU, but still the HW4 is on its own motherboard (new style).

Likely the new daughterboard and new cooling mean one standard HWx across all cars for a while.
…Even if it is the same and includes the dedicated GPU doesn't mean that the 3/Y software branch contains support for Steam…
That branch will likely not include Steam if there is no separate GPU.
…whether Highland/Juniper/Opel have more screens like the S/X and they move to the same branch (and gain support for Steam if the GPU is there) or whether they maintain two separate UIs and Steam gets backported (if the GPU is there) #speculationisfun
I assume you mean the rear screen and not the instrument cluster screen. I’m not sure why Tesla would put the powerful, discrete GPU in a car that wasn’t going to get Steam support right away.

This obviously will get more complex if Tesla uses future AMD chips that have more powerful discrete and integrated graphics.

Last edited:
True, so technically it would be quicker to produce a HW3.6 that would fit on those boards and be properly cooled, but it is doubtful Tesla would do that as the S/X FSD owners who couldn’t use it would have a tantrum.
Does anyone know why a small form factor difference in the computer would be a limiting factor for HW3 to 4 retrofit? I thought the computers mount to a bracket which mounts to the car. I know there is also the coolant input/output ports to consider, but I'm not sure if the ports actually interface with the car firewall or just through flexible tubes that route through the firewall.

My guess is the larger challenge is wiring. I can't imagine it would be too difficult to get more power to the computer (if needed). But the camera connectors seem to be different, so without adapters, I could see that being a real headache (rewiring a full car).

Would be curious if anyone with experience/expertise here could comment. Thanks.

I’m thinking of trading in my 2019 dual motor model 3 for a new dual motor model Y. I would only do this if I absolutely get HW4. I don’t want to have to refuse delivery, etc. Are we still playing this game if I order today? And if the game is still on, is this a process I can manage relatively easily? I really don’t want to have to refuse delivery!

I’m thinking of trading in my 2019 dual motor model 3 for a new dual motor model Y. I would only do this if I absolutely get HW4. I don’t want to have to refuse delivery, etc. Are we still playing this game if I order today? And if the game is still on, is this a process I can manage relatively easily? I really don’t want to have to refuse delivery!

I hear ya. You can lose $250 for this game, depending on your luck with SC. I did. Problem is I also lost the lowest pricing this year. I hope it comes back or I'm waiting till Q3 to order.