Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's speaking to the MCU portion of HW4 if I recall correctly. He was saying it will never run steam.
Link to his direct tweet where he mentions it? Twitter now is unsearchable for those without accounts and I don't trust third party reporting. For example I'm pretty sure 3/Y Ryzen always had 8GB of ram (some of the earlier S also only had 8GB and needed to be upgraded to get Steam access), not 16GB in the first place (that was the S/Y).

Link to his direct tweet where he mentions it? Twitter now is unsearchable for those without accounts and I don't trust third party reporting. For example I'm pretty sure 3/Y Ryzen always had 8GB of ram (some of the earlier S also only had 8GB and needed to be upgraded to get Steam access), not 16GB in the first place (that was the S/Y).

Definitely talking about the infotainment side.

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp

Definitely talking about the infotainment side.
Thanks. In which case, they are just using the original config 8G/128G that the earliest Model S/X had. I think most people assumed the 3/Y used that config too, but green seems to be saying they used the 16B/256GB of the later steam compatible Model S/X.

This is not as big a deal then, given 3/Y never had the GPU necessarily for steam and were never expected to have steam support anyways.

Reactions: richyrich and Krash
Thanks. In which case, they are just using the original config 8G/128G that the earliest Model S/X had. I think most people assumed the 3/Y used that config too, but green seems to be saying they used the 16B/256GB of the later steam compatible Model S/X.

This is not as big a deal then, given 3/Y never had the GPU necessarily for steam and were never expected to have steam support anyways.
It's not like the Model S/X run steam well, anyway.

That website has no idea what they’re talking about. The HW4 is in reference to the autopilot computer and camera systems. It has nothing to do with the infotainment system which is a separate computer.
Sorta. They're combined modules on the 3/Y and the article does appear to be referencing the infotainment portion of the computer, with @verygreen 's ... uhh.... "X"? as the source.

Reactions: Jovo and CleanDemon
The Model 3/Y MCU3 has always had 8G/128G since the start so I’m not sure what’s different?
you are incorrect.
AMD 3/y always had 16G RAM / 256G NVMe (until now that US-made model Ys with hw4 have half that)

It's the s/x that had 8/128 for all of 2021 and January 2022, and then upgraded to match 3/y and which is why older s/x refresh cars cannot run steam.

Reactions: WyoDude
FWIW seems like hw4 cameras are more scratch resistant. The user manual hinted this. One good improvement :)

hw3: do not wipe camera surface
hw4: wipe with microfiber cloth
IMG_6130.png

I have the hardware 4 cameras (red and short turn signal). Online it says that the H4 system is 4k and I've seen youtube dashcam vides that look amazing. However, my dashcam vids suck. They are blurry/fussy and at night the lights stream all over the video. It sure as heck is not 4k. I have a samsung hard drive as the recording device (not the small thumb drive that came with the car). Is there a setting I'm suppose to change to allow 4k or better video? My $25 Ebay dashcams are 4k and are much better than this.

I have the hardware 4 cameras (red and short turn signal). Online it says that the H4 system is 4k and I've seen youtube dashcam vides that look amazing. However, my dashcam vids suck. They are blurry/fussy and at night the lights stream all over the video. It sure as heck is not 4k. I have a samsung hard drive as the recording device (not the small thumb drive that came with the car). Is there a setting I'm suppose to change to allow 4k or better video? My $25 Ebay dashcams are 4k and are much better than this.
Which place "online" said it's 4K? It is very much not.

It is 1448 × 938 (1.4MP) resolution for repeaters and 2896 × 1876 (5.4MP) for the front as per other posts:
There will be NO HW4 upgrade for HW3 owners

Is that the resolution you are getting?

While the new cameras are better than the HW3, I would not expect it to match actual 4K dashcams of decent quality. The dashcam function is a secondary bonus function and it will always be lower priority than the other ADAS features.

Last edited: