Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, Volvo is Chinese owned.
Volvo cars sold in the US are not assembled in China, which is the only relevant metric. Vehicles assembled in China are subject to a 25% import tariff. Doesn’t matter what company made them - a General Motors car assembled in China would be subject to the same 25%.

I added the word “manufactured” to my original post to eliminate any further confusion.

Reactions: mborkow and vickh
There is currently a 25% import tariff on Chinese manufactured vehicles in the United States. It already exists and was enacted by the Trump administration.

That is, in no small part, why there are zero vehicles manufactured in China currently sold in the US.
Makes me wonder what the EV attitude in the US would've been like if Trump hadn't imposed this tariff. There's anti-Tesla, anti-EV sentiment in this country for whatever reason. On one hand, the legacy automakers could've been more serious about investing in EV, but on the other they could've gone heavier into EV smearing.

"everyone got covered" - WITH TAXPAYER MONEY
We pay the freight in the end for it all.
It's not free, it's not without consequence, and it's all swept under the rug by the pols, so you...believe it ?

Like college tuition loan forgiveness - the loans spurred a major increase in tuition fees, and now the chumps who paid off their loans or worked a job get it up the .....
Like "universal basic income" - it would just spur further inflated costs.
be careful what you wish for.

I don't think I said I supported any of this stuff so no I didn't wish for it, but my point is no matter the party, they are going to spend your tax dollars one way or the other. Arguing about it isn't going to do jack poop.

You can bet if some massive earthquake or other disaster came and you didn't have EQ insurance or whatnot, the state will probably do something as well to cover people's butt from tax payer money. Remember covid dollars and how people generally stole and didn't have to prove/validate they had a need or even employees? FL insurance market is like this now. I don't think any government (local/state/federal) is immune since it gets votes.

I don't think I said I supported any of this stuff so no I didn't wish for it, but my point is no matter the party, they are going to spend your tax dollars one way or the other. Arguing about it isn't going to do jack poop.

You can bet if some massive earthquake or other disaster came and you didn't have EQ insurance or whatnot, the state will probably do something as well to cover people's butt from tax payer money. Remember covid dollars and how people generally stole and didn't have to prove/validate they had a need or even employees? FL insurance market is like this now. I don't think any government (local/state/federal) is immune since it gets votes.
poor judgement to flick it off the voters shoulders as 'they want it'.
irresponsible fiscal management is the responsibility, in the end, of the Voters
this is a perfect example, to paraphrase the Benjamin Franklin's admonition - Democracy will last until the Voters discover Other peoples Money.

Makes me wonder what the EV attitude in the US would've been like if Trump hadn't imposed this tariff. There's anti-Tesla, anti-EV sentiment in this country for whatever reason. On one hand, the legacy automakers could've been more serious about investing in EV, but on the other they could've gone heavier into EV smearing.

Yeah, the lack of interest in expensive evs that have to be the second or third car for most people because their range sucks on highways and in winter with no charging infrastructure equal to gas stations is totally due to Trump…

Volvo cars sold in the US are not assembled in China, which is the only relevant metric. Vehicles assembled in China are subject to a 25% import tariff. Doesn’t matter what company made them - a General Motors car assembled in China would be subject to the same 25%.

I added the word “manufactured” to my original post to eliminate any further confusion.
Well, there may be a way around that.

• Informative
Reactions: sunwarriors
$35,090 - $7500 federal - 2000 ny - 1000 cyber = $24,590.

Like damn...I strongly have considered buying another one of these and dumping our year old rav4 hybrid, but I gotta stop buying cars and I'm hopeful we can get down to two next year so as much as this is a killer deal I cannot see doing it.

I never even thought we'd truly see a $35k model 3 but here it is with > $10k off as well. Just a shockingly good buy compared to other cars in this price range.

You forgot to add delivery + state tax to your deal

This reminds me of my favorite Abraham Lincoln quote:

“Beware the internet, for it is full of misquotes and made-up horseshit.”

I thought it was Eisenhower ;) Something about the military-industrial complete

Back to topic: Low Y inventory pricing continues.I'm definitely not accepting delivery on my original RWD order below since inventory LR are going for about that price now!

The question is still when to pull the inventory trigger and then try for 1/1/24 delivery. I can see if they'll edit my current order to inventory. I have till 12/31 to get the CT 1K instead of referral (unless I can do both). There are no state credits here in AZ :(

Model Y Rear-Wheel Drive $43,990
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint Included
19’’ Gemini Wheels Included
All Black Premium Interior Included
Five Seat Interior Included
Autopilot Included
Tow Hitch $1,000
Subtotal $44,990
Destination Fee $1,390
Order Fee $250
Referral Bonus ($500)
Total $46,130

Last edited:
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Absolutely.

We know what the fundamentals are. Yes, the Fed can keep on printing and increasing the money supply, however at a certain point the party crashes.

In 2023 we had some MASSIVE bank failures... and more in total assets failing than in 2008/2009 GFC.
You've written "Yeah, we are on the brink of a major collapse" and "at a certain point the party crashes." I've understood that to mean that that "certain point" will occur in the next 12 months. Have I understood you correctly? If not, pls give a rough estimate. Also, what metrics do you use to determine its a collapse vs just maybe a downturn?

Why Tesla is giving huge discounts on Blue with white interior. I see there are lot of Model Y LR blue/white in inventory. Are they trying to move them out of the lot. Could it be a rejected vin by someone? Is it not a great color to go for?
I can't find white exterior color in inventory at all.

Why Tesla is giving huge discounts on Blue with white interior. I see there are lot of Model Y LR blue/white in inventory. Are they trying to move them out of the lot. Could it be a rejected vin by someone? Is it not a great color to go for?
I can't find white exterior color in inventory at all.

I checked 4 times a day for 1 week until the spec I wanted at the price I wanted popped up.

White MYP with tow hitch $5k off MSRP + $1k for having a Cybertruck reservation. Have seen 3 more pop up at the same discount since I placed my order. Picking it up on Sunday. Was built in Freemont earlier this week.

As of this evening it seems Tesla is stacking the inventory with Demo’s. Most MYP demos for sale I’ve seen in a long time.

Reactions: KN0607