Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like everyone here, was very surprised at the level of cut. It should be noted that Tesla is the only company that can make this type of change. Musk had mentioned the middle of 2022 that he would consider price cuts as the supply chain problems started to get better. Also the announcement from Tesla China on the reasons they can drop prices in Asia was due to better manufacturing efficiencies. I think Tesla is the only car company that can drop prices this much, good for the consumers.

Reactions: nate704
Wait there's a California clean vehicle rebate still?

Looks like they were priced too high, now some models may have fallen back down under the limits?

> CVRP-eligible Cars (per EPA Vehicle Class) have a maximum manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $45,000*. CVRP-eligible SUVs, trucks, and vans (per EPA Vehicle Class) have a maximum manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $60,000.

• Love
Reactions: cdub
I'm kind of torn on the current price point of the MY given that I took delivery in Nov so missed out on all incentives and price drop. On one hand, it is what it is. On the other hand, buyer's remorse is real. Good luck to all those licking their wound.

But all the other legacy auto makers don't have room to drop prices and also they have very limited supply and production rate, so Tesla's move to drop prices significantly will hit them hard in terms of sales.
Would you buy EV6/Ioniq 5 for $10k-$15k more? or GV60 for $20k more?
And Ford Mach-E 4x is at $66k ($20k more than MYLR) now.

The way I see it sales are down due to high interest rates and inflation. The US government basically disqualifies the model Y which is it's top seller and this may have something to do with Biden's ongoing refusal to acknowledge Tesla. Only makes perfect economic sense to fight back at a grim outlook by lowering the price. I agree it's pretty hefty but what else would one do to get things back on track in these unpredictable times? Seems like the US government set the price required by Tesla to take advantage of the tax credit. I totally understand some are pissed off after purchasing one lately at the higher price but to say you will look elsewhere in the future is simply a short lived revenge trip. For every pissed off customer right now there are literally hundreds that will buy and be tickled pink by the new prices. Teslas sales will skyrocket and cause major headaches for the competition who are struggling to say the least. In the end I do believe the move was a very smart one and will really pay off for Tesla in no time at all.

Tesla is probably the only car company that can deliver today in a relatively short period of time and now with the new lowered price, it becomes competitive with several alternatives all which I may add have a couple of years delivery time with no guarantees on those dates or prices. Mark my words, Tesla will really outsell everything EV globally in 2023 with this strategic move.
Honestly, this has nothing to do with Biden and Tesla. The cap for getting "up to" $7,500 in a tax credit is a purchase price of $55,000. The cost of nearly every Tesla was in excess of this amount until today's price drop.

Elon has just pulled the trigger on what he said he'd be focusing on in 2023 - volume in place of margin.

I feel bad for everyone that bought in the last few months as this price drop is massive.
In a perfect world Tesla would give away a years worth of FSD, premium connectivity, Super Charging, etc… to recent buyers to “make things right”, is that going to happen - I doubt it

But just to flip things around, lets play out this scenario:

- 2025-03-15 I purchase a cybertruck at $60,000 USD (So do 100,000 other people)
- 2025-04-15 Tesla raise the price to $70,000 USD due to high demand
- Should I and the other 100,000 purchasers pay Tesla $10,000 because their prices went up?

I’m pretty sure we can all agree that would be insane.
Exactly! People are quick to forget things they've benefitted from. Things change, it sucks from time to time but thats the way it is.

Personally I'll hold off for another quarter before ordering. Prices might go up but thats the risk I'm willing to take. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions.

I feel bad for everyone that bought in the last few months as this price drop is massive.
In a perfect world Tesla would give away a years worth of FSD, premium connectivity, Super Charging, etc… to recent buyers to “make things right”, is that going to happen - I doubt it

But just to flip things around, lets play out this scenario:

- 2025-03-15 I purchase a cybertruck at $60,000 USD (So do 100,000 other people)
- 2025-04-15 Tesla raise the price to $70,000 USD due to high demand
- Should I and the other 100,000 purchasers pay Tesla $10,000 because their prices went up?

I’m pretty sure we can all agree that would be insane.
Ain’t nobody ever complain about making money.

It’s impossible to please everyone. If you raise prices, you displease future buyers. Cut prices and past buyers complain.

This is great news, and it brings the prices of at least the Y and 3 into sane territory, where combined with the credit, it's much more affordable. If I didn't need a truck, I would seriously be looking at the Y now. Before, absolutely no way at 65k+.

For those who bought recently I get it, but you made the choice to buy a piece of durable equipment at a given price. It's not an investment. Features and prices change, and it will still work the same it did a month ago. Worst case, you'll just need to drive it longer before changing the vehicle again, which is a wise practice in general.

Reactions: DrGriz and cdub
Honestly, this has nothing to do with Biden and Tesla. The cap for getting "up to" $7,500 in a tax credit is a purchase price of $55,000. The cost of nearly every Tesla was in excess of this amount until today's price drop.

Elon has just pulled the trigger on what he said he'd be focusing on in 2023 - volume in place of margin.
The Inflation Reduction Act seems to be doing its namesake job.

Still can't add third row to Performance model to get the credit (as a van).

EDIT: and the third row went up a grand to $4k on the Long Range.

EDIT2: Damn, I guess my trade-in value just tanked along with these drops.

EDIT3: Waiting for the fed to update the definition of an SUV and then order the MYP in the small window before they raise the price to under the $80k cap.
Colorado may raise the credit from $2k-$5k Gov. Polis proposes new incentives for electric cars, electric lawnmowers and e-bikes

Well FML. I just took delivery earlier today at noon of my MYLR and I see this price drop a few hours later. What a dampener on that new car feeling... I feel so f*cked over. 😞
I have a feeling that if pricing changed on the day you took delivery, you may get a surprise back from Tesla.

Those of us who took delivery during the final week of 2022 will probably not be so lucky.

Reactions: skola
Exactly! People are quick to forget things they've benefitted from. Things change, it sucks from time to time but thats the way it is.

Personally I'll hold off for another quarter before ordering. Prices might go up but thats the risk I'm willing to take. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions.
Or place a deposit and if it falls further, cancel and rebuy. It’s insurance.