Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my experience and their after sales behavior directly affects my decision for where I'll purchase my wife's EV next year, and my replacement in 4- years.

my future consumer behaviour will be impacted negatively with respect to Tesla
OK OK, we get it. When it comes time to buy your next car, even if the Tesla is the best price and experience, you will purchase from some other brand to get back at them. Awesome.
Yes, anyone who bought at a higher base price, in the last year, should be compensated with something that "on paper" is worth up to ~30% of the difference.
OK, now this here . . . . ummmm . . . . uhhhhh . . . . nevermind.

to those thinking they will switch to another brand in retaliation, wait until you use the public charging network, it’s an absolute unusable disaster zone that will leave you standard and effectively make road trips stressful if not impossible so you’ll be back…
It's not that bad for some. I have a charger at home, and the 401 (Toronto to Montreal) has some Petro-Canada 350kW chargers along the way, and more to come, especially in the next few years, and there are various 150-250 kW CCS chargers around already.

Everyone is angry when they pay full price for something that goes on sale the following week
Except most of the time we have customer protection laws and price drop protections offered by the retailer and credit card company. Tesla gets the best of both worlds (direct to consumer online, but not customer protections).

If you paid cash and/or only keep cars for a year or two then it’s a punch.
Hence my problem. I will likely keep it 4-5 years though.

If you were planning on flipping the car though then it does affect you but I have no sympathy for you as your greed was part of the supply problem causing the inflated prices in the first instance…
Flippers aren't real people. They don't have souls.

But again, I am very happy with the car, the network, and the FSD/AP. Just shaken up lol.

Angry recent purchases Tesla probably gives no cares about, but if it starts affecting new orders because people are afraid of future price drops, it could put pressure on Tesla to have an explicit price guarantee or whatnot. Probably wont happen though but yeah.
Chinese buyers almost rioted in the Tesla dealership but got nothing……Tesla actually started out with a price guarantee back in 2012-20xx? But in the end the guarantee was it would hold it value the same as a comparable luxury car (only the S was out then) which wasn’t much as high end BMW and MB drop quickly in the first year. Also wasn’t any good if the company went out of business anyways so it was a rather empty promise for early adopters.

When you want to pull the chute on what? I don't understand. You already bought the car.
So if you were to buy a $4000 TV from LG and the next day they drop the price to $2500 would you just be "oh well".

Clearly you don't understand. Must be nice to live in a world were above normal price cuts is acceptable. $20K overnight is a complete slap in the face to anyone that bought the vehicle.

Last edited:
It's not that bad for some. I have a charger at home, and the 401 (Toronto to Montreal) has some Petro-Canada 350kW chargers along the way, and more to come, especially in the next few years, and there are various 150-250 kW CCS chargers around already.
Supply & demand should boost more chargers for non-Teslas. Maybe if prices go down across the board in the next couple of years. But that's Tesla's advantage now. Maybe not so in the future. Then we'll see low prices...

Reactions: DL_Mike
So if you were to buy a $4000 TV from LG and the next day they drop the price to $2500 would you just be "oh well".

Don’t shoot the messenger, but tons of places, example Best Buy, will refund the difference if the price reduction is within a certain amount of time from the purchase.

Dont hate me for relaying this. Haha.

A5E0D082-F75B-48A6-9613-E93D8E886CBA.jpeg

Nevertheless, I am not arguing that they must make it right. I am simply stating that my future consumer behaviour will be impacted negatively with respect to Tesla if they don't. No amount of you justifying Tesla's right to seek profit is going to convince me to ignore the sour taste in my mouth now, and in the future, especially if "a short period" ends up being never.

There's nothing to "make right." You can be convinced or not, but the sour taste comes from you having bad timing, not Tesla doing something nefarious. I would agree relative to the parking stuff, they've made a promise that they should live up to there within a reasonable timeframe. That said my philosophy is to buy what actually exists and not what has been promised.

Reactions: FLRifleman
There's nothing to "make right." You can be convinced or not, but the sour taste comes from you having bad timing, not Tesla doing something nefarious. I would agree relative to the parking stuff, they've made a promise that they should live up to there within a reasonable timeframe. That said my philosophy is to buy what actually exists and not what has been promised.
The blame goes to the government for creating this 55K SUV mess. ie manipulating the market in favor of UAW lobbyists

Maybe, maybe not - a price match is a more reasonable expectation with consumer electronics where things like return policies exist and they are not so much actively trying to get you to buy something, but specifically buying something from THEM. Tesla doesn't need to worry about price matching a competitor. Electronics stores do this as much for minimizing returns as they do "good customer service" - Best Buy doesn't want to take back a TV under their return policy because Walmart put it on sale a week later.

Cars don't have return policies. "All sales final" and all that good jazz.

I bought a new home once, and 3 months later the builder dropped prices on the remaining lots. Good bit more than $20k too. Nobody refunded me the difference.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that cars exist somewhere in-between "homes" and "TVs", but let's be honest, they're much closer to homes.

Reactions: BitJam and evannole
While I would also be gutted if it happened to me (paying $67k for a car that is now $53k and would get further $7.5k check in a year) to those thinking they will switch to another brand in retaliation, wait until you use the public charging network, it’s an absolute unusable disaster zone that will leave you standard and effectively make road trips stressful if not impossible so you’ll be back…

Everyone is angry when they pay full price for something that goes on sale the following week, but bear in mind that most of these cars are financed, by the time you have paid your 5 or more years of finance off the price of new cars may have gone up again and so will used ones.
If you paid cash and/or only keep cars for a year or two then it’s a punch. If you lease cars the monthly payment may not change that much and the residual value is not your problem anyway.

If you were planning on flipping the car though then it does affect you but I have no sympathy for you as your greed was part of the supply problem causing the inflated prices in the first instance…
Boycotting is absolutely the right approach. If Tesla can get away with screwing their customers, so can every other car manufacturer. Bad behavior should not be rewarded. As the Tesla apologists have said, there is no recourse so a consumers only course of action to incentivize good treatment is to vote with their money.

As for the point about ev charging, I use the public network quite often and it works plenty well. Tesla superchargers are better but the gap is much smaller these days at least in my area. If you can install a good wall charger, that’s enough unless you take a lot of road trips, then a gas powered car is a far better value prop.

I really feel for those who picked up their new Teslas right before the year-end $3750/$7500 discounts, and then especially today after the even more massive discounts. Not to mention the additional $7500 EV tax credit now!

We just happened to be extremely fortunate in that some things happened at the end of the year that forced us to cancel our own early-December Model Y LR delivery. Whew.

Fortunately we will soon be able to re-order a Model Y at the new lowered prices, plus also take advantage of the new EV tax credit.

BUT ... with that said - to paraphrase a TV commercial from awhile back - this just popped in my head:

2023 Volkswagen ID.4 price bump: $1,500

2023 Ford Lightning Pro price bump: $4,100

Tesla Model Y $20,000 price Decrease: Priceless

And not buying another Tesla after _feeling_ like you got screwed, is how customer behavior works.
I bought my MYP at a higher price than the purchase price today as well. I also have no loyalty to any brand or vehicle. But if Tesla has the best product for my use case and at a proper price. I would also buy again. To do otherwise is just throwing good money after bad.