Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Canadian who took delivery early December, this sucks. This sucks hard. I still love the car, but if Tesla doesn't throw me/us a bone, this is my first and last Tesla. This is an indirect slap in the face for helping them achieve a great Q42024.

By the time I'm ready for a new car, the other makes, especially luxury ones, will have caught up in terms of range and autonomy, and the charging networks will be open.
I get being pissed off, but based on past history, Tesla never gives any bones to previous owners for price drops, just like other manufacturers don't either. In general, manufacturers have no obligation to always continually raise prices or to maintain a minimal price. After all, given all the price increases, if Tesla were to raise the price, would you be paying them a few thousand dollars when they do so? If not, why do you expect you should get anything when they lower prices?

I understand they have to sell stuff, but this has to hurt brand loyalty long-term, right?

I think this is why some uber luxury manufacturers actually destroy their products to not do this...Teslas are too common. You can't drive down a street and literally not see 5 out of 10 cars are Teslas EVs sometimes.

It's a commodity brand/product I feel.

This price cut was not surprising to me IMO, but some people here vehemently denied they had to cut prices. Supplies were building up like mad. I saw 150 MY in my area (I think that's the max it lists) and 200+ in the bay area daily.

Reactions: ord3r and ucmndd
Absolutely, I feel like free FSD is 100% something they should consider for anyone who purchased at the June price increase or later. This would bring the price up to nearly what we all paid for it. Cost them nothing, artificially increases the resale value of our cars.
And what do you propose for the people that actually bought FSD? You’re just moving the arbitrary line of who is deserving of retroactive consideration from one place to another (to your own benefit of course).

I get being pissed off, but based on past history, Tesla never gives any bones to previous owners for price drops, just like other manufacturers don't either. In general, manufacturers have no obligation to always continually raise prices or to maintain a minimal price. After all, given all the price increases, if Tesla were to raise the price, would you be paying them a few thousand dollars? If not, why do you expect you should get anything when they lower prices?
Yeah as much as free fsd, eap or even SC miles, not really counting on it based on past history. But looking back… has tesla ever had this significant of a price drop? So perhaps why they may do something now.

Reactions: Choncho
Angry recent purchases Tesla probably gives no cares about, but if it starts affecting new orders because people are afraid of future price drops, it could put pressure on Tesla to have an explicit price guarantee or whatnot. Probably wont happen though but yeah.

Reactions: sunwarriors
What do u guys will happen with inventory? Do u expect them to sell out within a week?

The problem I see is this can be deflationary. If you see a few thousand people pay < $55k for a MY while you paid $76k, do you really want to pay the old price anymore?

Even if it sells out, unless you are desperate for a car or a Tesla, I think it goes back again to a staring match and you're going to be waiting for this price if you are not in a rush for a car.

Tomorrow maybe a very interesting day in the stock market.

After this also, folks will be very gun shy to pay old prices since their current vehicle has taken a massive price hit.

For the record, I think GM gave refunds to buyers of Bolts when they cut the price by like $6k last year. We'll see if Tesla does anything for recent buyers.
That was a “don’t sue us” payment for their battery recall fiasco, not a retroactive price match / refund.