Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any insight why there has been a significant price cut on inventory models? I just received the car last week and now feel like I could have saved more.

Are inventory models any differenI am taking delivery of a Model S in 2 days. I ordered and paid based
Any insight why there has been a significant price cut on inventory models? I just received the car last week and now feel like I could have saved more.

Are inventory models any different?
I am taking delivery of a new 2023 model S tomorrow. I ordered it 3 weeks ago before the price cuts. Overnight last night, Tesala adjusted my lease terms to reflect the price reductions. “Inventory” in this instance was a vehicle in transit to the Tesla distribution center, arriving one day after the price cuts were announced.

If I can get the Model Y Long Range with Red Exterior and 19" wheels for $48,900 in Inventory should I put my deposit down or wait to see how the price fluctuates?

I am closely following this. About in same boat for 7 seater. The missing USS and front camera is sort of holding me back (I’m a 5yr Tesla owner so have an idea on EVs). Ys are good but no USS/safety sensors is not making me feel too easy on going for it.
On the other hand - where EV cars are and overall tech in car industry - a lot will change within next 5yrs to swap again.

If you are not big into autopilot, FSD and tech sensors for parking - it may be quite good actually (considering prices).

I do think by Nov prices will go down by another ~1-1.5k.
But given it’s a safe car and EV with reasonable good features (sans park assist, front camera, FSD et all) - that over 5-6 years will matter less.

Only thing that will sustain the current prices is not the heavy demand but uncertainty on Jan 1st ‘24 on federal rebate (which Elon and others have alluded to as it ‘may to down’ to cause confusion and get panic buyers in - I won’t blame him as you never know).

Keep in mind the Juniper/Highland Y will add ventilated seats from the looks of it.
May be “slightly higher prices would be worth it.
Just thinking out load. Not knowing anything else about your wish list - and if you’re tracking the prices so we’ll - I’d make buy. Just my 2c. Hope this helps

Reactions: tradosaurus
I am closely following this. About in same boat for 7 seater. The missing USS and front camera is sort of holding me back (I’m a 5yr Tesla owner so have an idea on EVs). Ys are good but no USS/safety sensors is not making me feel too easy on going for it.
On the other hand - where EV cars are and overall tech in car industry - a lot will change within next 5yrs to swap again.

If you are not big into autopilot, FSD and tech sensors for parking - it may be quite good actually (considering prices).

But given it’s a safe car and EV with reasonable good features (sans park assist, front camera, FSD et all) - that over 5-6 years will matter less.

Only thing that will sustain the current prices is not the heavy demand but uncertainty on Jan 1st ‘24 on federal rebate (which Elon and others have alluded to as it ‘may to down’ to cause confusion and get panic buyers in - I won’t blame him as you never know).

Keep in mind the Juniper/Highland Y will add ventilated seats from the looks of it.
Just thinking out load. Not knowing anything else about your wish list - and if you’re tracking the prices so we’ll - I’d make buy. Just my 2c. Hope this helps

Watching Utube videos about upcoming refresh for the Y it sounds like that might be 2 years out?

Elon is playing the FUD game - fear, uncertainty, doubt.
The Federal Tax Rebate is scheduled effective January 1 2024 to become a POINT OF SALE Credit, rather than tax credit (essentially a 1 year lag on rebate).
That timing will depend in part on the ability of the IRS to update the 1040 forms and their backoffice tracking systems.

Elon is playing the FUD game - fear, uncertainty, doubt.
The Federal Tax Rebate is scheduled effective January 1 2024 to become a POINT OF SALE Credit, rather than tax credit (essentially a 1 year lag on rebate).
That timing will depend in part on the ability of the IRS to update the 1040 forms and their backoffice tracking systems.
What I would worry with the point of sale credit is the temptation of Tesla to raise the price of all models.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Inventory MY this morning in Texas $43,680. I have 2021 MY currently and I am tempted due to the rough/ loud ride in the 21. Have ICE SUV for long trips so MY is mainly around town with some short trips. After tax incentive and $35k Tesla trade in value for the 21its very tempting.
Do you believe the upgrade in suspension for the 23 MY will decrease the loud ride? What car are you comparing to when describing the loud ride?
When I rest drove the model Y twice in the last 3 weeks I thought the road noise wasn't bad at all.
I would eventually change to 18" rims/tire which should help even more.
My 2021 GM Bolt is fairly quiet on the road.

Do you believe the upgrade in suspension for the 23 MY will decrease the loud ride? What car are you comparing to when describing the loud ride?
When I rest drove the model Y twice in the last 3 weeks I thought the road noise wasn't bad at all.
I would eventually change to 18" rims/tire which should help even more.
My 2021 GM Bolt is fairly quiet on the road.
I am comparing to MY 2021 which I currently own and drive.

To buy or not to buy… when is the question. I’m frugal (cheap). I own a Leaf. Nissan is going to pay me more than paid for it. Battery warranty. So I drove 6.5 years and they feel they owe me for that. I liked the Leaf. I wanted a new battery but whatever I’ll take the $$$. I could buy an Id 4, iconic 5 or similar or a Tesla and pay a little extra for all.

No point beating around the bush… I want a mylr with tow hitch. Scares the crap out of me that you can hardly see out the rear view mirror. I’m 60. I guess the cameras will help.

So here’s the question… buy now or wait? $52k now. Will it be cheaper when highland comes out? Cybertruck? End of Quarter? All that may happen in a few weeks. Procrastination has worked well the past year. I think I’ll wait a few weeks.

To buy or not to buy… when is the question. I’m frugal (cheap). I own a Leaf. Nissan is going to pay me more than paid for it. Battery warranty. So I drove 6.5 years and they feel they owe me for that. I liked the Leaf. I wanted a new battery but whatever I’ll take the $$$. I could buy an Id 4, iconic 5 or similar or a Tesla and pay a little extra for all.

No point beating around the bush… I want a mylr with tow hitch. Scares the crap out of me that you can hardly see out the rear view mirror. I’m 60. I guess the cameras will help.

So here’s the question… buy now or wait? $52k now. Will it be cheaper when highland comes out? Cybertruck? End of Quarter? All that may happen in a few weeks. Procrastination has worked well the past year. I think I’ll wait a few weeks.
my 2 cents:
what's the opportunity cost of your money. and then your time.
is the Leaf value at rock bottom or does it have further to go
buying with cash or financing / what's that money making you now

time wasted holding on, or moving on....

Tesla vs ID.4 (they're having trouble moving them) or Iconic 5 (early tech) is a no brainer
the rear view mirror view is good enough and the cameras add immeasurably but you have to adjust to that.

towing capacity and range are a poor fit for EV's. unless your need is short haul and low load....skip it.
ex: a bike fits in a MY without disassembly and multiples can go on the roof; suction roof racks are much less expensive than tow hitch racks that block or confuse cameras.

Reactions: pipestem

Cameras can be turned to be on at all times looking back, but you won't use it while actually driving. The rear view mirror is small. Backing up and what not is fine, though.

We just replaced a leaf with a base model 3 after the leaf was totaled on a deer. They are nice cars for what they are but a stark difference to a tesla, so you're basically considering replacing an entry level EV with a fairly premier car. When i scheduled the test drive (even though it was a perf and I got a 3) I knew there and then I'd be buying one.

I am close to pulling trigger on a y now. as you said procrastination has been good but at some point the luck will reverse and prices will go up again.

Reactions: pipestem
Raleigh
- MYLR - MSM - down to $45,440. lowpoint ?
- MYAWD = black - $44,320

@tompetenc -- I traded my Leaf on a 2018 model 3. Great that Nissan treated you well. I'll be 60 in 2 months, not worried about camera
Ordered a MYLR MSM yes at 45k today. Nuts it's so cheap right now., after tax credit that's 38k. Delivery is Saturday.

Taking a hit of 54k purchase on M3P in January that I'll only get 38k in trade but that's more than offset by super cheap Y. Put 11k miles on it already.

Friday I actually first ordered an X after price cut to get it and tax credit. But the Y being 35k cheaper is just too good to pass up. X is kind of funky odd car and expensive to repair so not really worth the near double price.