Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a MYLR and was only given ONE day extra to pick up beyond the 72hrs and only because I complained it is raining this week so can't we pick up on the weekend. Pick up is 12/22 now so I can see why they are so pushy with inventory, they gotta get rid of them, but I doubt they are having trouble with the one I ordered as its the lowest price for a MYLR in the area. They seem to drop 2-3 MYLR's down to $45.5k each day in SoCal and $46.5K for white or blue.
Thanks for that datapoint.

POS is a nice benefit vs waiting months for your tax return. Also apparently even if you don’t have 7.5k in tax liability, but are under the income limit you can get the POS credit next year. Seems unfair right that no tax liability can still get it, but from what I read that’s true.
Unfair? Not really. The way the credit is written right now it is not about "no tax liability" but rather this applies AFter ALL other tax credits... so you could still be making really good money, but if you were eligible for other credits, which brought down your overall tax owed at the end of the year, you are not getting full claim on it.

There will be A LOT of people in a few months who are filing taxes and will be really pissed off to find out the supposed $7,500 they were expecting, are not actually going to come.

Nice snag. We just picked up a M3 RWD because it was such a good value at $21,590 after all incentives($35,090 inv., $7.5k fed, $5k state, $1k cybertruck).

Now I'm wondering if we shouldn't just get a new MYLR as well! If I can grab one at $45,560 (the lowest I've seen in inventory) I could get it for $33,060 after fed and state incentives. Got a few trade-in offers on our 22' MYLR for ~$35k. The only thing I would be giving up is my 1.24% loan so I'd probably want to pay cash. When I mentioned this to my wife she thought I was unhinged but once I explained that we could essentially get the same car with ~2 years more warranty and better suspension she said.... maybe. haha
I thought the exact same. My wife also was basically on board but we decided to exercise some willpower for once and resist the endless car swapping we seem prone to. To be totally candid I think our model 3 was a great buy but I've been taken down a peg with the insurance rates on these cars. Insurance is cripplingly high compared to similarly valued non-teslas, and resale is generally atrocious (the exit of federal credit on the RWD may mitigate this for that model, as future RWD won't benefit from it, making new less attractive).

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Unfair? Not really. The way the credit is written right now it is not about "no tax liability" but rather this applies AFter ALL other tax credits... so you could still be making really good money, but if you were eligible for other credits, which brought down your overall tax owed at the end of the year, you are not getting full claim on it.

There will be A LOT of people in a few months who are filing taxes and will be really pissed off to find out the supposed $7,500 they were expecting, are not actually going to come.
You should not be able to claim tax credits that go beyond what your tax liability is. Otherwise this just becomes a tax payer funded rebate on those cases.

You should not be able to claim tax credits that go beyond what your tax liability is. Otherwise this just becomes a tax payer funded rebate on those cases.
that was it's intention - it's not a 'paid for' rebate. it's a gift of government largesse for doing what govt wants you to do.
it is a taxpayer funded transfer payment, similar in nature to the government dismissal of tuition debt.
otherwise known as 'buying votes'.

Reactions: maksimfa
sure, but that is PRECISELY what it is. lol. Federal Government taking taxpayer funds to prop up the EV industry. Tesla lives off of these subsidies. Jan 1 we are just transferring our credit to them.

Realistically, there should be none at all. =)

I pay plenty of taxes, through a number of our businesses, and you cannot buy a single one through a business with Tesla.

I'm getting worried that the end of the year/quarter discount/incentives may never come. It's already Dec. 21st. What's going on?
Uhh, they're here, in force. This is as good as it's going to get. 6 months free supercharging, 10,000 referral/loyalty credits, an extra $1k off if you have a cybertruck reservation, and $3-5k off inventory cars... what exactly are you waiting for?

Uhh, they're here, in force. This is as good as it's going to get. 6 months free supercharging, 10,000 referral/loyalty credits, an extra $1k off if you have a cybertruck reservation, and $3-5k off inventory cars... what exactly are you waiting for?
Reminds me of this joke below, and yeah if $35k for a model 3 rwd isn't making somebody buy now, they aren't interested in buying.

So there's this huge flood one day, and an entire town looks like it's going to be swallowed up by the waters. And the Police and Rescue Agencies are running all over the place trying to get people to safety.

So they send the rescue boat over to this house where a guy's sitting on the roof with the water lapping around his ankles and they say "Come on, quickly, there isn't much time"

To which he says "Nah, it's ok, God will Provide"

So about an hour later they're zooming past in the boat again and they notice the guy's still there, only the water's up to his waist, almost at the top of the roof.. "Quick" they say, get in the boat, it's going to get worst before it gets better.

"Nah, don't worry - God will Provide"

An hour after that a rescue helicopter flies over the area and notices the guy, who must be standing on the peak of the roof now, with only his head and shoulders out of the water. "GRAB THE ROPE!" they cry "IT'S YOUR ONLY HOPE!"

"Don't worry" he replies calmly "God will provide."

So he gets drowned of course. And he goes to heaven, and is a little ticked off with god for drowing him like that, and expresses his concern saying "I had FAITH, I BELIEVED in you - and still you didn't help me"

"HELP YOU?!" God replies "What MORE did you want - I sent you two boats and a helicopter!"

• Funny
Reactions: Hiline
and yeah if $35k for a model 3 rwd isn't making somebody buy now, they aren't interested in buying.

Absolutely. After the federal tax credit, a Model 3 RWD is $28k now. They were $48k about this time last year. If a $20k net price cut, or 42%, isn't big enough for someone to buy, price isn't the reason they're not buying.

Reactions: vickh and tangible1