Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even with a sales associate who is responsible for your order, it's still an uphill battle to get any information from them. I've established a good relationship with mine, but the majority of others I've interacted with have been unhelpful and dismissive. I've definitely heard their canned "just text the number, the number will help you" line that so many of them robotically apply to every situation, some of them would tell you to just text the number if you walked in and told them the chargers in the parking lot were on fire.

Spoke to one of SA, he asked me to keep checking Tesla app for any updates. I just texted to 510 asking if there any possibility of getting by 02/28, let's see if I get any response.

Good evening all. Total anxiously awaiting noob here

MYLR MSM, black interior, 19” wheels

OD 1/17 early AM
Initial EDD Jan-Mar
Few days later EDD Feb 21-Mar 28
Today on 2/5 EDD Feb 15-Mar 15
No VIN yet but sensing soon
Got mobile charger delivered Friday 2/3
Wall charger being installed 2/10
Also, located in North NJ and pickup is in Paramus
Take a look my prior posts for a lot more info - I'm also located in North NJ and picking up at Paramus. I ordered on 1/13 afternoon + completed profile that evening and my Tesla MYLR delivery is scheduled for next week assuming no more delays.

Tl;dr: Ordered on 1/13, EDD was changed from sometime late Jan - Feb to 2/03 - 3/03, got VIN on 1/27 w/ EDD now being about a 1 week window, and then recently was able to schedule a delivery date for next week (there was apparently a delay so SDD is outside the EDD window I had).

I doubt that's going to happen. Just the film is going to be about $500 in retail. Any install shop worth their salt will do a good paint cleaning and correction before applying the film. It'll take 5-6 hours to apply the film for a full frontal - which is what you are describing even with the partial hood, which is the piece that's relatively easy to put on so it being partial doesn't save much time. you then factor in the shop's fixed costs, tools, supplies, etc... getting decent quality film under $1k is going to be tough.
I asked because someone from Colorado got the same done in $600.

The material may retail at $500, but the shops getting uncut rolls would probably get better rates.

5 hr labor at $50 per hr would be $250, and I think $50 per hr isn't unreasonable, the shop workers aren't paid more than 100K per annum.

I don't need paint correction for a brand new car.

So my calculations for reasonable was:

Material $ 400
Labor. $ 250
Profit. $ 250
------------------------
Total. $900

Take a look my prior posts for a lot more info - I'm also located in North NJ and picking up at Paramus. I ordered on 1/13 afternoon + completed profile that evening and my Tesla MYLR delivery is scheduled for next week assuming no more delays.

Tl;dr: Ordered on 1/13, EDD was changed from sometime late Jan - Feb to 2/03 - 3/03, got VIN on 1/27 w/ EDD now being about a 1 week window, and then recently was able to schedule a delivery date for next week (there was apparently a delay so SDD is outside the EDD window I had)

Awesome! Congrats on the VIN. Let me know the the delivery experience was

Anyone got reasonable PPF quote in Bay Area?

And by reasonable, I mean under $1000 for partial front = front bumper, front side fender panels, partial hood, headlights + outside rear view mirrors.
A bit more background about my question:

I asked this, because someone from Colorado got the same done in $600, whereas Bay Area rates are 1800+ for the same.

The material may retail at $500, but the shops getting uncut rolls would probably get better rates.

Moderately experienced worker would take around 5 hrs to this job.
I don't know the hourly labor rate, but think $50 per hr isn't unreasonable, the shop workers aren't paid more than 100K per annum, even in Bay Area.

This $50/hr is the rate actually paid to the worker, shop owner's profit is separate.

I won't need paint correction for a brand new car, and paint defects aren't very loud in Pearl White.

Material $ 400
Labor. $ 250
Profit. $ 250
------------------------
Total. $900

With this calculation, I think Bay Area shop owners are adding an additional $900 Tesla tax, taking their profit to $230 per hr (which is way more than most of Bay Area Tesla owners' salary)

Yay! What's your OD? Im blue/black/19/tow. OD 1/26, upstate NY. Current EDD end of March. Just wondering based on the similar configuration and our proximity to each other. thanks, Mike
OD 1/14 around 10 pm. No tow, suburbs of Philadelphia. Originally had a Jan-Mar EDD, which changed to 2/6 - 3/6 within a few days of the order date and hasn't budged at all until now.

Here's some quotes I got for PPF in the Portland area:
Front bumper only: $499
Front nose/partial hood & fenders + mirrors + door edges: $1049
Front nose/full hood & fenders + mirrors + door edges: $1749
Lower third/very high impact area: $499
Headlights: $199
Full body including headlamps: $5995

For anyone with Tesla PPF experience, any recommendations on the minimum? I will be installing mudflaps on front & back. Planning to do some sort of PPF on the front, but haven't decided on what.

I have the same order date and EDD dates including it getting pushed back last Monday to start today. Also 30 minutes from Fremont. Only difference is I ordered blue. Texted the 510 number this morning and was told based on their production plans I should have a VIN in the next few days 🤞. So maybe we’ll both get some good news this week.
I am in the exact same boat. Same OD and EDDs. My config is the same as the original posters. White / Black MYLR

A bit more background about my question:

I asked this, because someone from Colorado got the same done in $600, whereas Bay Area rates are 1800+ for the same.

Moderately experienced worker would take around 5 hrs to this job.
I don't know the hourly labor rate, but think $50 per hr isn't unreasonable, the shop workers aren't paid more than 100K per annum, even in Bay Area.

This $50/hr is the rate actually paid to the worker, shop owner's profit is separate.

I won't need paint correction for a brand new car, and paint defects aren't very loud in Pearl White.

Material $ 400
Labor. $ 250
Profit. $ 250
------------------------
Total. $900

With this calculation, I think Bay Area shop owners are adding an additional $900 Tesla tax, taking their profit to $230 per hr (which is way more than most of Bay Area Tesla owners' salary)
I think your material of $400 and actual labor (installer cost) of $250 might be close. I think what you are not factoring in is the Tint Company's overhead costs (rent, utilities, marketing ,etc), then add the "owners cut", then actual profit for the company.

Reactions: YisPatHere
Awesome! Congrats on the VIN. Let me know the the delivery experience was
Sure.

Also, one of my prior posts on here describes my experience at Paramus location when I went with my friend a few weeks back to pick up his Tesla MYLR. He placed a custom order and his configuration was available in the existing inventory so Tesla gave him that car (Austin build so no matrix headlights).

Here's some quotes I got for PPF in the Portland area:
Front bumper only: $499
Front nose/partial hood & fenders + mirrors + door edges: $1049
Front nose/full hood & fenders + mirrors + door edges: $1749
Lower third/very high impact area: $499
Headlights: $199
Full body including headlamps: $5995

For anyone with Tesla PPF experience, any recommendations on the minimum? I will be installing mudflaps on front & back. Planning to do some sort of PPF on the front, but haven't decided on what.
I've never installed any type of "paint protection" on any of the nearly three-dozen automobiles I've ever owned and I would never pay thousands of dollars for such. $6,000 will repaint the entire front end of an automobile with a better-than-factory paint job. ;)