Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow youre already in the range. maybe its because you're in austin and near the gigafactory? i read that if you live close to a factory you will get your vins later than everybody else but delivery is immediate after.
@gH0st88's profile says they are in Texas. Tesla does not have licensed dealers in Texas because of the laws here, so a Tesla built in Texas and purchased by a Texas resident has to physically be shipped to another state before it can be purchased by a Texas buyer then shipped back to Texas for delivery. Tesla can't even accept payment in Texas - so that means you can't bring a suitcase full of cash or a check on delivery day. Payment for the vehicle must be made in a different state which means we have to pay for the vehicle before it will be shipped to the delivery location and pray that it is in acceptable condition on delivery day. So, someone living across the street from Gigafactory Austin will have to watch their vehicle ship to another state before they can buy it. :)

Last edited:
MYLR5 W/B 19" no extras
OD - 01/21
EDD1 February - March
EDD2 was 03/25 - 03/31, found matching vehicle in Cleveland, OH, local SA added to my existing RN for same base price, got VIN immediately got delivery date 02/24 with couple of time slots to pickup, took 2:30 PM.

Drove 5 hours to Cleveland Tesla 1 hour before and found my vehicle at charging, walked around vehicle to find any issue as per checklist to my surprise did not find any issues not even one.

Came back at 2 PM and found vehicle is ready for my inspection along with documents to sign left inside the vehicle and doors were unlocked, did another round of inspection this time opened Frunk, Trunk, looked inside didn't find any issues inside either.

Able to access vehicle menu and saw 8 miles on it, while I was checking got message notifying my vehicle is read for delivery and to review documents left inside vehicle.

After reading several posts sharing their experiences before taking deliveries I was expecting Tesla folks wouldn't allow me to access vehicle until I sign all paper work and accept vehicle, but BIG surprise nobody prevented me accessing vehicle, I am really happy with my whole delivery it was seamless and Tesla Folks at Cleveland were friendly, courteous and were willing to listen, understand and answer my questions.

Asked about mud flaps and PPF, after accepting delivery, SA took my vehicle inside and came back in 30 minutes with mud flaps and PPF.

It's Fremont built with Matrix headlight and Cargo cover.

On the way back home, heard wind noise and adjacent vehicles sounds inside cabin, also noticed steering wheel is aligned little bit to the right and wheels were pulling to the right, opened service request for each issue, will be taking local Indianapolis Tesla on 03/01.

MYLR5 W/B 19" no extras
OD - 01/21
EDD1 February - March
EDD2 was 03/25 - 03/31, found matching vehicle in Cleveland, OH, local SA added to my existing RN for same base price, got VIN immediately got delivery date 02/24 with couple of time slots to pickup, took 2:30 PM.

Drove 5 hours to Cleveland Tesla 1 hour before and found my vehicle at charging, walked around vehicle to find any issue as per checklist to my surprise did not find any issues not even one.

Came back at 2 PM and found vehicle is ready for my inspection along with documents to sign left inside the vehicle and doors were unlocked, did another round of inspection this time opened Frunk, Trunk, looked inside didn't find any issues inside either.

Able to access vehicle menu and saw 8 miles on it, while I was checking got message notifying my vehicle is read for delivery and to review documents left inside vehicle.

After reading several posts sharing their experiences before taking deliveries I was expecting Tesla folks wouldn't allow me to access vehicle until I sign all paper work and accept vehicle, but BIG surprise nobody prevented me accessing vehicle, I am really happy with my whole delivery it was seamless and Tesla Folks at Cleveland were friendly, courteous and were willing to listen, understand and answer my questions.

Asked about mud flaps and PPF, after accepting delivery, SA took my vehicle inside and came back in 30 minutes with mud flaps and PPF.

On the way back home, heard wind noise and adjacent vehicles sounds inside cabin, also noticed steering wheel is aligned little bit to the right and wheels were pulling to the right, opened service request for each issue, will be taking local Indianapolis Tesla on 03/01.
Did you have to pay extra for PPF or the mud flaps? It appears some folks got them and some didn’t. Wanted to see what the secret sauce was to get them.

MYLR5 W/B 19" no extras
OD - 01/21
EDD1 February - March

Congratulations! And good to hear it had no issues. When date did the SA add the car to your RN? Was it the exact car you had on order?

wow youre already in the range. maybe its because you're in austin and near the gigafactory? i read that if you live close to a factory you will get your vins later than everybody else but delivery is immediate after.
I think so, also Texas does not allow direct sale from manufacturers so Tesla has to ship them out and then bring them back or get it from Fremont.

Reactions: Lady
@gH0st88's profile says they are in Texas. Tesla does not have licensed dealers in Texas because of the laws here, so a Tesla built in Texas and purchased by a Texas resident has to physically be shipped to another state before it can be purchased buy a Texas buyer then shipped back to Texas for delivery. Tesla can't even accept payment in Texas - so that means you can't bring a suitcase full of cash or a check on delivery day. Payment for the vehicle must be made in a different state which means we have to pay for the vehicle before it will be shipped to the delivery location and pray that it is in acceptable condition on delivery day. So, someone living across the street from Gigafactory Austin will have to watch their vehicle ship to another state before they can buy it. :)
yes that is my understanding as well. Ive seen plenty of Y's on transport trucks and think to myself that one of those was probably mine lol

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
Did you have to pay extra for PPF or the mud flaps? It appears some folks got them and some didn’t. Wanted to see what the secret sauce was to get them.
It's probably a state/country thing as well. I would research if Teslas in your state come with Mud Flaps or PPF so you can be sure (also don't be afraid to ask the Tesla reps there).

In NJ, we don't get Mud Flaps or PPF so that's a DIY or bring it to some shop that'll do it.

Got a notice in the app that something was affecting my delivery - turns out Tesla asked me to confirm that I am okay with Tesla Vision today, the day before delivery. Seems like odd timing, but at least it wasn't moving my delivery out.
Got the car this morning (MYLR base, no add-ons/changes, Fremont build), very smooth experience. No pressure from the staff for final payment, let me inspect as long as I wanted. Really couldn’t see anything wrong with the build from my untrained eye. 40 days from order to pickup.

Best of luck to everyone waiting still!

Last edited:
Even though I understand many of the logistical challenges in manufacturing, distributing, and delivering vehicles and am surprised it works as well as it does, I must admit there are some eyebrow-raisers.

My brother-in-law ordered a red MYLR with 20" wheels on Jan 15 that is assigned for delivery in Tyler, TX (EDD Feb 23 to March 5 as of Feb 24). Every day, his EDD moves one day into the future to the point that he is now able to accurately predict what it will be tomorrow - not unlike @ATG1's experience.

Yesterday evening, this exact configuration appeared in inventory in Dallas. Of course, it is gone this morning, but this raises two questions:

1. Why wasn't this vehicle assigned to him? It already had to travel thousands of miles, so why not 100 more from Dallas to Tyler? Maybe there was no hauler available from Dallas to Tyler or not enough vehicles to fill it.
  2. If one example appeared in inventory and Tesla builds in batches, then that suggests a batch of red MYLR with 20" wheels were made, so why doesn't he have a VIN yet? Maybe all of those in that batch were already assigned to buyers who ordered earlier, but that brings me back to 1.

I see plain MYLR's (no options) like the one I ordered on Jan 20 being delivered every day by people who ordered after me, but I still have no VIN, either - just a current EDD of Feb 25 to Mar 11. The one thing in common with both of our orders is that we ordered before the price increased by $2,000.

Weird. :)
Good observation. Simply put, the net margin of your order is lower than others to be prioritized.

Reactions: ATG1
It probably depends on your state. In AZ, they have calculated the sales tax and registration in my final cost. I have not received my MYLR yet, but if I go in under payment it all shows there. THat updated within a week or so of my iniital order. You should be able to see it in yours as well. I am doing 3rd party financing and when I go into the app and hit view on that, it looks like this:
View attachment 911076
What is the difference between registration and title fee?

It probably depends on your state. In AZ, they have calculated the sales tax and registration in my final cost. I have not received my MYLR yet, but if I go in under payment it all shows there. THat updated within a week or so of my iniital order. You should be able to see it in yours as well. I am doing 3rd party financing and when I go into the app and hit view on that, it looks like this:
View attachment 911076
It's too bad that the reduced EV registration here in Arizona expired 12/31/20232. The cost savings would have offset our increase in premium for insuring the MY.

Let's hope our EDDs are accurate.

Reactions: Mainuh