Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, same EDD. Ive seen this 9 day window before, it just keeps moving with the days.
Will you be picking up in Tyler, Texas, by chance? That's where my brother-in-law and I will take delivery. He ordered on 1/15, I ordered on 1/20, and our EDDs were very different, but have been getting closer to together. As of today, mine is Apr 4-13 and his is Apr 4-15. I wouldn't be surprised if both of ours ended up on the same hauler and were delivered at the same time at this point.

Reactions: LetsGoElectric

I am 33 miles from the nearest Tesla delivery location (service center). I must pick the vehicle up in person - they won't bring it to me.

If the closest delivery location was more than 220 miles away, I could pay an extra $750 for home delivery.
I finally get to brag just a little... We're like 10 mins away from our showroom/service center. This was a big factor in deciding to place the order..

On a disappointing note I think my wife is now a whole lot less enthusiastic then when we placed the order. She feels the car is somehow overly pretentious and is not sure about the bulbous-ness of the design. She says she will give it a shot but I suspect her mind is already made up. I feel bad because I definitely pushed her into this and am clearly far too irrationally exuberant and invested at this point. 😞

Ah well.. delays have their consequences.

I finally get to brag just a little... We're like 10 mins away from our showroom/service center. This was a big factor in deciding to place the order..

On a disappointing note I think my wife is now a whole lot less enthusiastic then when we placed the order. She feels the car is somehow overly pretentious and is not sure about the bulbous-ness of the design. She says she will give it a shot but I suspect her mind is already made up. I feel bad because I definitely pushed her into this and am clearly far too irrationally exuberant and invested at this point. 😞

Yeah, every time we pass by a Model Y, husband has second thoughts on "how big" it looks, shouldn't we have gone with a M3? I hope it comes very soon so the enjoyment of using it dilutes the second guessing ;)

Will you be picking up in Tyler, Texas, by chance? That's where my brother-in-law and I will take delivery. He ordered on 1/15, I ordered on 1/20, and our EDDs were very different, but have been getting closer to together. As of today, mine is Apr 4-13 and his is Apr 4-15. I wouldn't be surprised if both of ours ended up on the same hauler and were delivered at the same time at this point.
I am in Austin, about 20 min from the Giga Factory.

Reactions: zroger73

I so hope she still goes for it. I have the similar issue. We have a RAV4 Hybrid on order with a fully refundable deposit. It has been about 3 months since we ordered it and in between the price of the MY went down and I just could not justify not ordering with the lower price, NJ rebate, and Fed rebate. If the RAV4 comes in before the MY and she likes how the RAV4 drives, then the MY order gets cancelled. :(

I am in Austin, about 20 min from the Giga Factory.
I'd like to tour Giga Austin sometime - it's about a 4.5-hour drive from me. Several years ago, I drove twice that long to tour a Honda plant in Alabama. I believe GA is about twice the size of Honda's AAP, which is already nearly unfathomable.
I so hope she still goes for it. I have the similar issue. We have a RAV4 Hybrid on order with a fully refundable deposit. It has been about 3 months since we ordered it and in between the price of the MY went down and I just could not justify not ordering with the lower price, NJ rebate, and Fed rebate. If the RAV4 comes in before the MY and she likes how the RAV4 drives, then the MY order gets cancelled. :(
If effortless, smooth, and quiet acceleration is important to her, the RAV4H is not the answer - it's buzzy and not particularly fast when you smash the right pedal. It's a very sensible and efficient vehicle, though. Personally, I'm annoyed by gasoline engines in hybrids starting and stopping all the time - and I don't like the idea of having to maintain batteries and engine oil - I'd rather have an ICE-powered vehicle or an EV - not both in the same package.

I'd like to tour Giga Austin sometime - it's about a 4.5-hour drive from me. Several years ago, I drove twice that long to tour a Honda plant in Alabama. I believe GA is about twice the size of Honda's AAP, which is already nearly unfathomable.

If effortless, smooth, and quiet acceleration is important to her, the RAV4H is not the answer - it's buzzy and not particularly fast when you smash the right pedal. It's a very sensible and efficient vehicle, though. Personally, I'm annoyed by gasoline engines in hybrids starting and stopping all the time - and I don't like the idea of having to maintain batteries and engine oil - I'd rather have an ICE-powered vehicle or an EV - not both in the same package.
We have not even test drove the RAV4H. They didn't have one on the lot to test drive. They are all sold before they get to the dealer. When your car comes in you have 3 days to come in and test drive it and if you do not like it you get your deposit back (I am sure they have a long waiting list).

What my wife did not like was the rear view using the mirror. The window is small and the view is small compared to other cars we have had. I tried to explain that she will mainly use the camera as the screen is huge and just the rear and side view mirrors to double check. She is also a little hesitant about all the technology and setting up everything. I have told her it is set it and forget it. The app and car remember who you are and your settings stay. If you decide you want to change the settings it will automatically save.

I am trying my best to allay any of her concerns.

Yeah, I have some of the same reasons for ordering the model Y. I've been driving a Prius Prime Advanced for almost 6 years. It's smooth and responsive in EV mode, but the low EV-only range makes me do crazy things like driving with the heat turned off to avoid having the engine start. The hybrid mode is such a buzz kill. The nice linear, instant responsiveness of the accelerator is gone. I'd rather just have a full EV and get rid of the engine that I use on less than 5% of my trips.

My wife drives a RAV4 Prime XSE which is quite a bit better with the ~40 mile range and more space & towing capability. I'd be more happy driving RAV4 Prime than the Prius, but full on EV is what I really want. The model Y seems to tick all the boxes for me, except for the strangely missing blind spot detection, rear cross traffic, and ultrasonics.

We have not even test drove the RAV4H. They didn't have one on the lot to test drive. They are all sold before they get to the dealer. When your car comes in you have 3 days to come in and test drive it and if you do not like it you get your deposit back (I am sure they have a long waiting list).

What my wife did not like was the rear view using the mirror. The window is small and the view is small compared to other cars we have had. I tried to explain that she will mainly use the camera as the screen is huge and just the rear and side view mirrors to double check. She is also a little hesitant about all the technology and setting up everything. I have told her it is set it and forget it. The app and car remember who you are and your settings stay. If you decide you want to change the settings it will automatically save.

I am trying my best to allay any of her concerns.
Has she test driven the Model Y? If not, she really should. People don't realize how much the quality of the rear camera view makes a difference.

Has she test driven the Model Y? If not, she really should. People don't realize how much the quality of the rear view camera view makes a difference.
She did test drive it. Was very apprehensive. Pulling out of the SC she ran over the curb. LOL! She kept looking out the rear view mirror as she drove it and kept commenting on it. I kept telling her she will use the camera. It is amazing and the screen is huge. She is stuck in the old ages of turning your head around to look back lol.

It is a big change for her. If we do get the MY, it will just take time to get use to it with the rear view camera and the one pedal driving.

The model Y seems to tick all the boxes for me, except for the strangely missing blind spot detection, rear cross traffic, and ultrasonics.

In my 2019 Model 3, the extent of the blind spot detection is making the offending cars red on the display. I've added a TesLogic, and it gives me a very clear red flashing of the turn signal indicator when my blind spot is occupied.

Reactions: starise and rjackey
Personally, I'm annoyed by gasoline engines in hybrids starting and stopping all the time - and I don't like the idea of having to maintain batteries and engine oil - I'd rather have an ICE-powered vehicle or an EV - not both in the same package.
Amen to that, and one of the MAJOR reasons I went full electric. If a car is like a closed loop hybrid (no need to plug in to charge like the prius or insight) I would have considered one. But, I also don't want to buy a car in 2023 that's wrapped around 2003 technologies.

Hence, the Tesla.

Amen to that, and one of the MAJOR reasons I went full electric. If a car is like a closed loop hybrid (no need to plug in to charge like the prius or insight) I would have considered one. But, I also don't want to buy a car in 2023 that's wrapped around 2003 technologies.

Hence, the Tesla.
I used to think hybrids were so cool, but that was years before practical EVs became available. I was fascinated by hearing nothing but tire noise as Priuses rolled across parking lots at low speeds or hearing nothing at all from one beside me at a stop light. It seemed so futuristic!

Now, I cringe every time a light turns green during rush hour while listening to a raucous symphony of dozens of Bendix gears engaging with flywheels to restart gasoline-powered vehicles with auto idle stop.

I look forward to a time when most vehicles are powered by silent, clean electric motors, but that'll be a long, long time here in Northeast Texas.

I used to think hybrids were so cool, but that was years before practical EVs became available. I was fascinated by hearing nothing but tire noise as Priuses rolled across parking lots at low speeds or hearing nothing at all from one beside me at a stop light. It seemed so futuristic!

Now, I cringe every time a light turns green during rush hour while listening to a raucous symphony of dozens of Bendix gears engaging with flywheels to restart gasoline-powered vehicles with auto idle stop.

I look forward to a time when most vehicles are powered by silent, clean electric motors, but that'll be a long, long time here in Northeast Texas.
I've got to say, the switch of words between the first 2 statements gave a good laugh. Too good. Loved the roast of IC engines there 😂😂