Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recommendation for vent under the seat covers?
I took a flyer on these. Will see how they fit later this week when we take delivery.

Do you have the option to pay without a delivery date scheduled? My vin and schedule happened almost the same time so not sure.
On the app the section for "Make Your Final Payment" is active (and the discount shows up) so yeah totally possible. Since we have a little time before May 1st we will likely hold off and hope a delivery date is scheduled before then. If not we will pay in advance probably by Friday even without a vehicle so we can "lock in" the price and put the onus back on Tesla & NJ.

I’m planning to use plaid in the app to pay for the car. At what point do I do it? Can I set up everything and transfer the money as I am ready to accept delivery? Or this will delay scheduling of delivery?
I don't really know, but I'm taking delivery tomorrow and using plaid (pay via the app). Today I clicked the button in the app to add an account, then selected my bank. It took me into my bank's app and the bank made it clear that it was not sharing my username/password with Plaid (or Tesla), and it was generating substitute account/routing numbers. So later when you go into your bank app, after you've paid for the car, you can disconnect Plaid/Tesla from having further access to your account information and they won't even know your real account number.

It said they can read balance as of the previous business day, and transactions (recent, including pending). So probably best to kick them out after you pay for the car. Especially after seeing the bit recently about Tesla getting sued for employees sharing people's videos, maybe data privacy needs a little work.

Anyway, after you go through that then the "add account" button changes to "Pay". I'm assuming I can just hit that button tomorrow after I inspect the car and decide to take delivery. I'll report back if it ends in disaster tomorrow 😅

I don't really know, but I'm taking delivery tomorrow and using plaid (pay via the app). Today I clicked the button in the app to add an account, then selected my bank. It took me into my bank's app and the bank made it clear that it was not sharing my username/password with Plaid (or Tesla), and it was generating substitute account/routing numbers. So later when you go into your bank app, after you've paid for the car, you can disconnect Plaid/Tesla from having further access to your account information and they won't even know your real account number.

It said they can read balance as of the previous business day, and transactions (recent, including pending). So probably best to kick them out after you pay for the car. Especially after seeing the bit recently about Tesla getting sued for employees sharing people's videos, maybe data privacy needs a little work.

Anyway, after you go through that then the "add account" button changes to "Pay". I'm assuming I can just hit that button tomorrow after I inspect the car and decide to take delivery. I'll report back if it ends in disaster tomorrow 😅
Thanks for the info! Also report back if it goes well too.. would be interested in your experience in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesse75
OD 1/27 delivered! Austin built MYLR5 was solid. Still sort of beside myself…

Glass and panel alignment all very good, nothing really noticeable after going through the checklist.

Just saw 2 minor scratches I couldn’t get out with the thumb and they brought it to the back. Fixed one less than 10 minutes, but had to point out the other wasn’t fixed so another guy got on it asap and came back looking great within 5 minutes.

View attachment 930448
Congrats on getting the car!

Mine was an Ausin build too. Does the underside of your frunk lid have a gasket that helps to seal the frunk? I noticed other builds were missing this gasket and have octagonal shapes as part of the metal work underneath. My frunk hood has the gasket and looks to have been made slightly differently.
I don't believe I have the matrix headlights though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skunis and erktrek
So which build are people trying to get? Austin or Fremont? I'm in southern California and the rep I talked to said most Ys are coming out of Austin, but what's the advantage etc to an Austin build?
I'm not sure you have much of a choice depending on the model, options and location. The MYP seems to be made exclusively at Fremont though.

Fremont has traditionally had the advanced matrix headlights, mud flaps and possibly splash guards while Austin has trunk covers (I think). Austin's build quality was initially inferior due to ramp-up but now seems to be much improved maybe (almost) at the same level as Fremont.

I'm not sure you have much of a choice depending on the model, options and location. The MYP seems to be made exclusively at Fremont though.

Fremont has traditionally had the advanced matrix headlights, mud flaps and possibly splash guards while Austin has trunk covers (I think). Austin's build quality was initially inferior due to ramp-up but now seems to be much improved maybe (almost) at the same level as Fremont.
I think Fremont also has the trunk cover. I have read that some MYLR out of Austin have the MYP motors … which is weird since MYP are built only in Fremont as you mentioned.

Reactions: erktrek
Austin's build quality was initially inferior due to ramp-up but now seems to be much improved maybe (almost) at the same level as Fremont.
My April 7th Austin build has no misaligned components. My BIL's recent Austin build has a slightly off-center rear hatch, but it's not something you'd notice unless you were looking for it. Mine came with two rattles - the glare shield under the camera cover in front of the rearview mirror was rattling against the windshield. I fixed that by adding a piece of foam tape between the shield and cover. The second rattle was the front, lower corner of front passenger door card that needed to be re-seated. It is now bank-vault quiet. I don't know about consistency, but Austin obviously has the capability to produce a quality build.

I think Fremont also has the trunk cover.
I believe they all come with the trunk cover now. My and my brother-in-law's recent Austin builds did and others here have reported the same.

My April 7th Austin build has no misaligned components. My BIL's recent Austin build has a slightly off-center rear hatch, but it's not something you'd notice unless you were looking for it. Mine came with two rattles - the glare shield under the camera cover in front of the rearview mirror was rattling against the windshield. I fixed that by adding a piece of foam tape between the shield and cover. The second rattle was the front, lower corner of front passenger door card that needed to be re-seated. It is now bank-vault quiet. I don't know about consistency, but Austin obviously has the capability to produce a quality build.
That is super encouraging thanks.. yeah I think (hopefully) we are getting into the "hair-splitting" part of production quality comparisons between factories.

I believe they all come with the trunk cover now. My and my brother-in-law's recent Austin builds did and others here have reported the same.
Did you check what motors did you get in the Austin’s builds?

Reactions: erktrek
Did you check what motors did you get in the Austin’s builds?
I tried to identify it using the instructions in this video, which was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I don't see any markings present in this location on my Model Y. It really doesn't matter to me which motor(s) I have, but as someone who deals with electric motors on a tangent in my line of work, it would make me "feel good" to know I had a hairpin motor. :)

Last edited: