Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure that the IRS page used to say $55k? Because a 7 seater always had the $80k limit. Are you sure it's $80k for the 5 seater?
Tesla's site:

The vehicle price at time of delivery must not exceed the following caps. This price includes optional equipment physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery and excludes software features, accessories, taxes and fees.
  1. Model 3: $55,000
  2. Model Y with 5 seats: $55,000
  3. Model Y with 7 seats: $80,000
Yes, it used to $55k for 5 seats on the IRS site and no longer does. From yesterday’s Way Back Machine listing of the site:

511A8BF3-C684-4DD1-A74B-AE52BF354BD7.png

In my state, it is mandatory for all insurers to cover a newly purchased car on an existing policy. This may differ in other states. I just uploaded a jpeg of my current policy insurance card to Tesla.
I’m in NYS, they require the VIN and a scannable bar code to be on the insurance card that needs to be uploaded to the Tesla app. So that’s the only way to do it is to add the car to the policy before you even have it.

You can always order the acceleration boost option after delivery. It’s $2k and unlocks some performance. It looks like it drops 0.8s for 0-60, which should also translate to other performance boosts beyond just that stat.
Yep... that also makes it easier to pass on the performance. That's also probably a birthday present for myself down the road a few months XD

Reactions: Cyclone
Well, now that the MSRP limit for 5-seat Model Ys has been increased from $55,000 to $80,000, do you think the Tesla will raise prices?

I'm sticking with my $52,990 plain Model Y order for now, but some of us have some thinking to do.

So far I have heard nothing but good things about the white interior, but apart from that, black isn’t an option for me because I hate, hate, hate that wood paneling. I feel like I am driving a log cabin or the outside of an old station wagon.
There are some really nice aftermarket changeouts to replace the wood paneling. Check out YouTube, they show easy installation videos. That way you can keep the black interior if you want. Just an FYI.

Well, now that the MSRP limit for 5-seat Model Ys has been increased from $55,000 to $80,000, do you think the Tesla will raise prices?

I'm sticking with my $52,990 plain Model Y order for now, but some of us have some thinking to do.

Yeah, I was lucky enough that my desired options weren't affected by an erroneous, arbitrary 55k limit (Blue/Black 19s tow hitch), but those who chose a certain color or dropped a tow hitch, or didn't get performance... might want to lock in their changes quickly as I do think Tesla will raise prices sooner than later. (Also secretly hoping that those who change their options move me up quicker in the queue... lol)

Reactions: PewPew
This was my original order

MYLR5 White/Black/19
OD: 1/21
EDD: March 8-31 (updated 1/25)
No VIN yet

But with the recent news the the MYP would be included in the tax credit, I just reserved a new in stock MYP at the local service center in KC. Still not so sure about those 21's on KC roads but it's the model I really wanted. I would have bought the acceleration boost regardless so for just an extra $1500 on top of the AB, it seems like a no brainer!

It is always worth considering your options, especially if you qualify for the tax credit!

Me too sticking to the base model. Already ordered accessories and white seat covers. Will spend some money on the PPF and do the ceramic coating myself. Will install the spoiler, black emblems and paint the rims satin black. Keeping it under budger and keeping it sexy is the logical way to go....for me at least.

I think Tesla will increase the price in the short term but as soon as credits get cut into half, they will reduce it.

It looks like Ford's Jim Farley called up Biden and fixed it for Ford, the company for which the prior limits had the most affect...

1675441805399.png

The above chart shows price after the companies' price reductions but prior to the new limits.

This was my original order

MYLR5 White/Black/19
OD: 1/21
EDD: March 8-31 (updated 1/25)
No VIN yet

But with the recent news the the MYP would be included in the tax credit, I just reserved a new in stock MYP at the local service center in KC. Still not so sure about those 21's on KC roads but it's the model I really wanted. I would have bought the acceleration boost regardless so for just an extra $1500 on top of the AB, it seems like a no brainer!
Haha, same; I am iffy about those wheels on TX roads, but the handling of the MYP is much smoother on turns and seems more fun to drive than the LR overall.

You can always order the acceleration boost option after delivery. It’s $2k and unlocks some performance. It looks like it drops 0.8s for 0-60, which should also translate to other performance boosts beyond just that stat.
Oh interesting, didn't know this was an option. I wanted the MYP but held off because of the tax incentives.

The MYP also comes with the 21 uberturbines, firmer suspension tuning and red brakes right? Any other difference?

OK, so I took delivery today!

OD: 1/14, Vin: 1/15, produced 1/16. Delivery appt on 1/21. Took delivery 2/1 at Tesla in Springfield, NJ

In short, the experience was great, and the drive home was nothing short of magical. I concur with the previous posters about how it's almost comically life-changing. It was a *sugar*-ton of money to fork over, but no regrets. (And let's hope it stays that way!).

Overall, it was fairly low-stress, which is good, because I'm still exhausted :p

I did bring a checklist and am glad I did, but I certainly wasn't waving it around. This is it: GitHub - polymorphic/tesla-model-y-checklist: Checklist for Tesla Model Y

So, on my way there I got a text instructing me to go find my car, and then to accept the terms to unlock the vehicle. I found the car almost immediately, it was the first VIN I checked with the new deliveries around the side of the building.

We spent a good deal of time looking it over. 20-30 min? It was nice to be able to compare my car to so many others just like it. When I opened the app to "Accept Terms" so I could inspect the interior, the button was gray - clearly I had to pay first :) I went inside and I explained/asked, nicely, that I'd like to inspect inside the car before I took delivery (as I slid over the check), and she said that was no problem, you can inspect the interior before taking delivery. (Guess my charm worked? Or maybe I'm a sucker!)

Now for the "issues" I saw... and I put that in quotations because I don't feel these were deal-breakers. I agreed to schedule service and deal with them post delivery.

The list:
  • Condensation - meh, this went away
  • Grease/dirt on the driver a-pillar - toothbrush and some spray should take this right out in a few seconds
  • Rear-window - kept going back down when it got to the top, like the pinch protection was mis-calibrated. When I tried it once after I got home, it worked fine 🤷‍♂️
  • Rocker panels - meh, okay, so they were are a little off - maybe I will try to get that addressed, though not sure how they would.
  • Scratches/Scuffs - this was is probably the "biggest" concern, because I don't think it's easy to fix. I'm not sure how/if they could handle this, or if it qualifies as a "manufacturing defect", but when the SA came out to help show me how to properly close the frunk, she acknowledged it and started to say she could take a picture. I probably should have let her. But, I said I already had and she said great, then you just make an appointment in the app and upload them.

Now, I don't know how plausible it is that these will all be addressed because, when I was scheduling service, I clicked on the "Learn more" button, to read this: "General appearance concerns are not covered by your vehicle warranty unless related to a manufacturing defect. Please refer to the exclusions section of your vehicle warranty for details."

See for yourself - I'm not sure how much of a stink to make about this stuff - I'm pretty easy going. The scratches were not easily noticeable on the passenger front quarter panel, and a very small scuff on the hood. But, it was a nice sunny day at around noon, and it was still hard to notice these and the pics make them look more obvious. That said, you could definitely see it in the right light. I said I'm not trying to be (or hoping) I'm not being too picky but she understood completely. It was a very cordial, friendly and reasonable interaction. (But we'll also see what redress I have, realistically.) To put it another way, if I was told bluntly, "yeah, sorry, but we're not gonna address any of that stuff" would I have accepted the car? Would you?? Hard to say for me... let's see what service says, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic. Tesla might be counting on my cares melting away on the drive home, and that isn't far off 🙃

That's it! Full report as promised. I'm thrilled with the car! Now if I can only get my charger setup without electrocuting myself... mobile charger arrives tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for all the guidance and support.

Good luck to everyone!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. All that matters is you are happy. :)

Personally, If I had this car, I would have accepted delivery as well. I've level set that the cosmetic stuff is generally easy to remedy. Is it annoying? Yes - especially given the price point. But folks buy Tesla's as one of the best EVs out there and by far with the best tech capabilities of any manufacturer. A few cosmetic things doesn't change that fact. Not to take away from folks who want an immaculate exterior - it's their money and they should have that choice.

Enjoy your new ride! :)