Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm more concerned about the life and cost of replacing those tires on the Performance. Or how they'll hold up. I've had the 4runner on mud-terrains for the last several years and that's one thing I've never had to bother..These low profile tires are going to be pain to maintain :)
110% same here. I looked at prices for OEM tires on YLR YP and Toyota Highlander Hybrid since these are the vehicles I considered.
YP 1694
Y 1385
Hlan 910

Not that much of a difference from YLR to YP. I would prefer the LR and if the tax credit is extended in March I will switch my order back. I much rather have 4 same sized wheels than staggered. As you said low profile tires are going to be an issue. I could see myself selling P wheels and going after market 20's if it was close to a even swap.

I cant get anyone from Tesla to answer me. I tried calling Tesla via the text message you get, and the box says its text only, but they give you a number to call and guess what? That voicemail box is full. Man, kind of frustrating. Its just general questions about my delivery coming up.

110% same here. I looked at prices for OEM tires on YLR YP and Toyota Highlander Hybrid since these are the vehicles I considered.
YP 1694
Y 1385
Hlan 910

Not that much of a difference from YLR to YP. I would prefer the LR and if the tax credit is extended in March I will switch my order back. I much rather have 4 same sized wheels than staggered. As you said low profile tires are going to be an issue. I could see myself selling P wheels and going after market 20's if it was close to a even swap.
I picked up square'd winter wheels, because you are right, those 21's are not going to be easy.

You pulled a permit, right? There are some things that I'm willing to do myself, but adding a 240V 60-amp fixture has insurance implications just in case bad things happen.
Uh... yeah.... sort of... I did call the town, and spoke to them about filling out a permit - does that count? LOL. Good call though, I'm going to go down to the town today and get the paperwork. I agree, insurance is the biggest thing about doing it yourself.

Admittedly, being in NJ it's kind of silly I'm did it myself. So, anyone else in NJ reading this, check with your local utility because, especially if you can get a quote for less than $1500, you're probably better off letting them do it (have them include the cost of permitting! I'll need to spend $ on that.) Plus, the higher the bill, the more money you will get back for the %30 federal tax credit. Ironic that a higher bill actually helps you "make more money" in a sense.

In the end, I did it because, well, I kind of wanted the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself, and getting it done and out of the way. That and because I had already ordered the Tesla Wall Charger. Hiring a contractor would have cost me the electrician upfront (over 1k - though probably reimbursable by JCP&L - always a chance they don't pay), and then to go out and buy a 48 amp charger ($750+), oh and the paperwork and stuff to get setup with JCP&L which I'm sure is a lot of fun haha.

I'm forgoing a $250 credit from NJ (but that's less than the difference between what I paid for the TWC and an equivalent 48 amp Juicebox, for instance, and also forgoing a .02$ per killowatt discount on charging my car (guestimate about $6 per 1000 miles driven).

Anyway, the fact that I already had what I considered sunk costs in the charger ($350) and materials ($100) along with the fact that I didn't have to deal with electricians, or power company paperwork, and the personal satisfaction I got with doing it myself - I decided just to do it. Of course, if I have an fire or something, that would alter the 'personal satisfaction' factor equation :) but I'm confident it's done correctly. I guess we'll see what the inspector has to say!

I cant get anyone from Tesla to answer me. I tried calling Tesla via the text message you get, and the box says its text only, but they give you a number to call and guess what? That voicemail box is full. Man, kind of frustrating. Its just general questions about my delivery coming up.
Find the location of nearest Tesla showroom and call that number, it goes a slightly faster, especially if you call right at that location's opening time.

Reactions: Spinkick
I'm more concerned about the life and cost of replacing those tires on the Performance. Or how they'll hold up. I've had the 4runner on mud-terrains for the last several years and that's one thing I've never had to bother..These low profile tires are going to be pain to maintain :)
YP 1694
Y 1385
Hlan 910

Not that much of a difference from YLR to YP. I would prefer the LR and if the tax credit is extended in March I will switch my order back. I much rather have 4 same sized wheels than staggered. As you said low profile tires are going to be an issue. I could see myself selling P wheels and going after market 20's if it was close to an even swap.
I plan on taking off the staggered wheels and setting them aside for when I want to play around. Replacing them with either 19” or even 18” wheels (non-staggered) for regular use.

My collection of spare wheels and tires is now 3 full sets in my garage (2 for my Fit and 1 for my HR-V)… need to figure out what to do with them, especially the one for my HR-V, since I’m trading that one in.

It's actually quite remarkable to see how much PFF is promoted by influencers on youtube.
This has been the biggest adjustment for me in the Tesla buying experience: dealing with these desperate know-nothing influencers simping 24-hrs a day for Tesla itself, or hyping hot garbage from Alibaba at a 6x markup pretending that they're all miracle products. It's honestly much more difficult to get trustworthy useful information about this car than anything else I've driven. The influencer content completely drowns out everything else.

Should I get a MYP instead of MYLR? :(

So, thru luck of draw, got to drive and have a Model Y Performance for a day.
I am now 100% in on the MYLR.

MYP is great but comparing it to a M3P, I 100% agree w/ others that it doesn't feel as sporty.
Obviously, sitting higher on Model Y Performance vs Model 3 Performance, the speed feels different.
I also can feel the suspension and how the 21's and Uberturbines feel. (Full disclosure, the MYP I am driving is 2022 so not completely apples to apples since I know the Comfort Suspension came into play for the 2023's).

Anywho, I will simply put Uberturbine covers on the 19's Geminis and I will convince myself I have a MYP lol.
I also have mine created in Fremont, CA so... I also got the Matrix headlights. Love how that looks.

Ya. I am thinking the same. And the cost of materials isn’t just for one car. You can easily do 3 cars with the supplies you get. I’ll try to do my wife’s Mazda first to practice and then work on mine.

Any recommendations on a polisher??
I do not intend to polish my car because its brand new. So I just need to clean it with iron/tar remover, clay and diluted alcohol and apply the ceramic coating. Most detailers do polish even brand new cars but as per my research, its not really needed for a brand new car unless the paint job from the factory is bad.

Uh... yeah.... sort of... I did call the town, and spoke to them about filling out a permit - does that count? LOL. Good call though, I'm going to go down to the town today and get the paperwork. I agree, insurance is the biggest thing about doing it yourself.

Admittedly, being in NJ it's kind of silly I'm did it myself. So, anyone else in NJ reading this, check with your local utility because, especially if you can get a quote for less than $1500, you're probably better off letting them do it (have them include the cost of permitting! I'll need to spend $ on that.) Plus, the higher the bill, the more money you will get back for the %30 federal tax credit. Ironic that a higher bill actually helps you "make more money" in a sense.

In the end, I did it because, well, I kind of wanted the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself, and getting it done and out of the way. That and because I had already ordered the Tesla Wall Charger. Hiring a contractor would have cost me the electrician upfront (over 1k - though probably reimbursable by JCP&L - always a chance they don't pay), and then to go out and buy a 48 amp charger ($750+), oh and the paperwork and stuff to get setup with JCP&L which I'm sure is a lot of fun haha.

I'm forgoing a $250 credit from NJ (but that's less than the difference between what I paid for the TWC and an equivalent 48 amp Juicebox, for instance, and also forgoing a .02$ per killowatt discount on charging my car (guestimate about $6 per 1000 miles driven).

Anyway, the fact that I already had what I considered sunk costs in the charger ($350) and materials ($100) along with the fact that I didn't have to deal with electricians, or power company paperwork, and the personal satisfaction I got with doing it myself - I decided just to do it. Of course, if I have a fire or something, that would alter the 'personal satisfaction' factor equation :) but I'm confident it's done correctly. I guess we'll see what the inspector has to say!
You also left out an off peak ez-pass discount in NJ which may afford you a chocolate bar after a year. 😂

Anyway, the fact that I already had what I considered sunk costs in the charger ($350) and materials ($100) along with the fact that I didn't have to deal with electricians, or power company paperwork, and the personal satisfaction I got with doing it myself - I decided just to do it. Of course, if I have an fire or something, that would alter the 'personal satisfaction' factor equation :) but I'm confident it's done correctly. I guess we'll see what the inspector has to say!
I know what you mean. I had to do two charger installs, one of them in a garage where the subpanel is literally right there next to the spot where I would park the Tesla. All that's needed is a 60A breaker and maybe 3-4 ft of appropriate wire plus some conduit. The sub-panel is on a 175A breaker so there is plenty of capacity. But I just know, in-case-sh*t-happens, I don't want insurance asking me "was this permitted?" The electrician felt my pain and said I might as well pay him to pull the wire to a more central location so that the charger covers 2 parking spaces instead of just one, and that's what I had him do. He also helped rebalance the load in the breaker box between the two hot lines so that the dryer, oven, AC compressor, aux heat, water heater, and Tesla charger are evenly split.