Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any mass produced product is manufactured in batches, including Teslas.
I'm not sure how Tesla does it, but some automakers build in identical batches and some don't.

Every Ford coming down the assembly line has a different trim, color, and options. This allows each vehicle to be built to the dealer's or customer's order and offers a lot of customization. You'll rarely find two truly identical F-150s since there are thousands of possible combinations.

Honda, on the other hand, builds only in identical batches. They don't accept orders. Instead, they accept requests from dealers for a particular trim and color combination (from a relatively small number of possible combinations). Once they receive enough requests for a particular combination, they'll build a batch of them which get distributed to dealers. Depending on how many requests Honda receives for a specific combination, the customer or dealer who places a "special order" (which is actually a request and not an order) may have to wait week or months...or they may never get the particular vehicle they want if Honda doesn't receive enough requests to justify building an identical batch before that year's model run ends.

Notice how each of these Broncos has a different color and wheels. Notice how each of the Honda Accords is identical.

AP21166410553459.jpg

Honda_Marysville_i.jpg

MYLR Blue/Black 19 inch (Base)
O/D 1/14
EDD1: Jan -Mar
EDD2: 2/2-3/2
EDD3: 2/5-2/19
EDD4: 2/6-2/19
EDD5: 2/7-2/19
EDD6: 2/8-2/19
EDD7: 2/9/-2/19
EDD8: 2/20-3/6
Still NO VIN

I was getting hope yesterday when people were saying sometimes you don’t get your vin until its on the way to you or at the service center and then last night they threw the hammer down on me! I guess that theory went out the window. So deflating!

EDD7: 2/9/-2/19
EDD8: 2/20-3/6

I was getting hope yesterday when people were saying sometimes you don’t get your vin until its on the way to you or at the service center and then last night they threw the hammer down on me! I guess that theory went out the window. So deflating!
Previously, the vehicle could arrive as late at 2/19 and now it could arrive as early as 2/20, so there's still only one day separating that range. ;)

JIT production can be dramatically dynamic when there are unexpected parts shortages as there have been the last few years. Maybe Tesla had to stop to wait on parts. Or, maybe they've identified and are correcting a quality control issue causing a delay. Or, maybe piece of manufacturing equipment went down and has to be repaired causing a delay. :)

WTF TESLA! Last night my EDD changed drastically.
OD 1-15- @ 7:14 am MYLR Red/Wht 19"
#1 EDD Jan-Mar
#2 EDD Feb 13 - Mar 20
#3 EDD Feb 8- Mar 22
#4 EDD Feb 9- Mar 23
LAST NIGHT #5 March 1 thru March 30
Really Tesla I see folks getting VIN's
how on earth do you go from Red MYLR deliveries to Orders from 1-15-23
To last days of March. I am supper frustrated by this pattern. This is not my first rodeo My Family and I have purchased 6 tesla since 2014 never have I experienced this.

#1 EDD Jan-Mar
#2 EDD Feb 13 - Mar 20
#3 EDD Feb 8- Mar 22
#4 EDD Feb 9- Mar 23
To last days of March. I am supper frustrated by this pattern. This is not my first rodeo My Family and I have purchased 6 tesla since 2014 never have I experienced this.
Sounds like demand is through the roof and chaos is ensuing

Sounds like we are heading back to the Sept 2021 through October 2022 shenanigans....
Cue more price increases in 5,4,3,2,1.......

I could see Tesla back to 6 months waits by mid year. Instead of people getting upset because someone who ordered a few days after them got a VIN, we will be back to the days of people seeing people who order a few months after them (at a higher MSRP) getting a VIN before their lower margin order does.....the forum chaos will ensue.

So what is your decision? Taking it or rejecting it?
If you reject it, I think there's still time to get another one before half the tax credit disappears...
Tesla is going to look the car over today and get back to me on what the fix would be. I suspect it would be repainting the right side (rear door to bumper) and bondo plus repaint for the driver side doors. But I’m not an expert on what the damage is and we’ll see if maybe it wouldn’t be a drastic fix like that.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
#1 EDD Jan-Mar
#2 EDD Feb 13 - Mar 20
#3 EDD Feb 8- Mar 22
#4 EDD Feb 9- Mar 23
Same thing happened to me last night, i was down to a 10 day window, and now its pushed out another 2-3 weeks

Not sure why you think that you won't get tax credit. I doubt that the irs will change the rules that much, especially since President Joe suggested that you could get a credit if you bought an e-hummer. They don't qualify even now.
The rules are in the inflation reduction act. The issue was the definition of some of the terms. So the IRS is not set to change the rules, just clarify what they are and what they mean. In December, the basically delayed the battery requirements. They couldn't get clarification done prior to 1/1/2023 and said they would issue guidance in March. The issue is the critical materials language in the act. I believe it is 40% of the materials must come from the US or free trade partner or something like that in 2023 to get $3,750 of the $7,500. The law didn't specify what materials were covered and what exactly is a free trade partner. That is what they are ironing out. Hopefully, they don't get their act together for several more months and then say "here are the rules and they kick in X days from now or on y date". Or even better, "anyone who ordered a vehicle that otherwise would qualify prior to today, do not need to follow the new guidance". But nobody knows what is going to happen.

Sounds like we are heading back to the Sept 2021 through October 2022 shenanigans....
Cue more price increases in 5,4,3,2,1.......

I could see Tesla back to 6 months waits by mid year. Instead of people getting upset because someone who ordered a few days after them got a VIN, we will be back to the days of people seeing people who order a few months after them (at a higher MSRP) getting a VIN before their lower margin order does.....the forum chaos will ensue.
Yes, I was stuck in those shenanigans! At least everyone has an EDD instead of TBD.

Reactions: Frunkenstein
Tesla is going to look the car over today and get back to me on what the fix would be. I suspect it would be repainting the right side (rear door to bumper) and bondo plus repaint for the driver side doors. But I’m not an expert on what the damage is and we’ll see if maybe it wouldn’t be a drastic fix like that.
Sending you positive vibes! I hope it works out for you.

Reactions: Cyclone
I see a lot of folks not understanding what the “E” means in “EDD”. Just looking at the history, mine included, the day to day slips started around the time when there was an ice storm that shut down one of their factories. That was almost an entire week of non production.

I know it’s hard to wait, and the excitement level is high, but be patient. Your time will come! It’s not like Tesla wants to delay your delivery (unless you neglect the very clear instructions they gave you to make the process as streamlined as possible…then that would be on you!).

With that said, I hope you all get yours soon!