Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no way they could ever fulfill orders in a perfectly linear fashion based on order time down to the seconds (Which seems to be your definition of respect and honour).
You have to see that don't you?
They need to run the lines in batches, they need to load trucks and trains to capacity to ship to different regions (with multiple configurations on board). They need to please their stock holders with EOQ numbers which means prioritizing local orders at EOQ and prioritizing distant orders early quarter.
Those three variables all combine to create a non-perfect fulfillment schedule when compared to the order date/time.

You just can't run a company the way you seem to think they should. If they actually fulfilled orders exactly as they came in you'd probably wait an extra year for your car in the end as it would be so inefficient I can't even imagine how that would work.

If you don't like how they operate then cancel your order and go down to Kia for an EV6....you know what Kia tells customers currently..."no idea, 2-3 years maybe...we don't know...give us some money and we will call you in a couple years"....and you can bet they are fulfilling cars to their friends and will leave you in the dust with zero communication. My friend had ID4 on order....what did they say....well at first "fall of 2023"...then a month ago via email update...."sometime in 2024".....like WTF....compared to Tesla these legacy automakers are a complete joke. Tesla will get you a top end EV faster and without hassle 100x over compared to these other companies. No their fulfilment isn't perfectly fair down to the day of order but it is reasonable and way better than anything else out there if you want a decent EV.
I'm not even gonna read all that because you again are telling me that I should be sooooo empathetic about Tesla's production and business timeline and be happy with the delay and being skipped order etc. Nope.

You spelled that out exactly. It's the 1st requirement that is in question. All they did was delay the 1st requirement until "March" when they can clarify.
To my knowledge, there is not a single EV sold in US that would meet the critical battery components requirement. As its written, this requirement makes no common sense. Either remove the requirement or delay its enforcement until a realistic date -- perhaps 1/1/2024 would be realistic.

Reactions: Cyclone
MYLR White/Black/20”

OD: 1/21
EDD: 3/8-3/31
Hey Everyone thought I would provide an update… excited to get delivery before March 1, but past posts have made me nervous with the Austin build, fingers crossed!

MYLR White/Black/20”/5 Seat
OD: 1/21
EDD: 3/8-3/31
Updated EDD 2/3: 2/16-3/3
VIN assigned 2/10, EDD: 2/21-2/28

It bothers me a little that there are 20 MYSRs within 200 miles of me that I could buy today, 3 at the lot just 5 miles from my house. I wish they would have skipped making those available and manufactured the MYLR or MYP that everyone ordered... Maybe my MYLR could have been produced a couple of days sooner.... schedule delivery a few days sooner...
I thought I was done refreshing the app every 10 minutes once I got my vin. Now I refresh often to see if I can schedule my delivery yet.
Yes, one of the many examples of how Tesla is disrespecting another customer. You should stop complaining because some folks here believe that this is no fault of Tesla's and you should just keep waiting quietly until Tesla can finally change their production set up to make your build. That is after they made all that money by fulfilling easy orders for other customers who ordered way past your OD.

To my knowledge, there is not a single EV sold in US that would meet the critical battery components requirement. As its written, this requirement makes no common sense. Either remove the requirement or delay its enforcement until a realistic date -- perhaps 1/1/2024 would be realistic.

That's my understanding too. Unless they start mining these materials in the US, they would have to rely on the recycling business first.

Check out this. It might make some auto makers eligible sooner. I hope they will send the batteries to Tesla first.

• Informative
Reactions: Byce007
Tesla is going to look the car over today and get back to me on what the fix would be. I suspect it would be repainting the right side (rear door to bumper) and bondo plus repaint for the driver side doors. But I’m not an expert on what the damage is and we’ll see if maybe it wouldn’t be a drastic fix like that.
I rejected a badly dented car at the service center, they told me that they will not do bondo or body filler, they would only replace the complete panel, (rear liftgate in my case), they didn't know if the new liftgate assembly would arrive to the service center painted, or if it would need to be sent out to a Tesla certified local body shop for paint. That was too much like a used, wrecked car for me, so I opted to wait for a custom order VIN (my original order was from local inventory).

That's all well and good but that's no reason to torture me for the past 19 days. ;-)

OD: 1/14
OEDD: Jan 18-Jan 30.

And then...

Jan 21: EDD Jan 21-Jan 30
Jan 22: EDD Jan 22-Jan 31
Jan 23: EDD Jan 23-Feb 1
Jan 24: EDD Jan 24-Feb 2
Jan 25: EDD Jan 25-Feb 3
Jan 26: EDD Jan 26-Feb 4
Jan 27: EDD Jan 27- Feb 5
Jan 28: EDD Jan 28-Feb 6
Jan 29: EDD Jan 29-Feb 7
Jan 30: EDD Jan 30-Feb 8
Jan 31: EDD Jan 31-Feb 9
Feb 01: EDD Feb 01-Feb 10
Feb 02: EDD Feb 02-Feb 11
Feb 03: EDD Feb 03-Feb 12
Feb 04: EDD Feb 04-Feb 13
Feb 05: EDD Feb 05-Feb 14
Feb 06: EDD Feb 06-Feb 15
Feb 07: EDD Feb 07-Feb 16
Feb 08: EDD Feb 08-Feb 17
Feb 09: EDD Feb 09-Feb 18, (Today, still no vin)
It's ironic that Tesla is an AI company but can't nail down the programming logic to avoid this from happening. I'm guessing if you posted this to Elon's twitter, he wouldn't find it acceptable.

That's my understanding too. Unless they start mining these materials in the US, they would have to rely on the recycling business first.

Check out this. It might make some auto makers eligible sooner. I hope they will send the batteries to Tesla first.

Thank you for sharing. This is definitely a huge step in the right direction. I didn't see an estimated date when this facility would be live. Did I miss that?

It bothers me a little that there are 20 MYSRs within 200 miles of me that I could buy today, 3 at the lot just 5 miles from my house. I wish they would have skipped making those available and manufactured the MYLR or MYP that everyone ordered... Maybe my MYLR could have been produced a couple of days sooner.... schedule delivery a few days sooner...
I thought I was done refreshing the app every 10 minutes once I got my vin. Now I refresh often to see if I can schedule my delivery yet.
Are they available today or just in production and scheduled to be delivered to the local store at some point? I was looking at those but the "coming soon" aspect of it seems quite vague.

This. I'm trying to find any source that could clarify is GM, Ford, VW would qualify. Our government has interest in keeping at least GM and Ford in the EV game, regardless of their disdain for Tesla.

Yes, one of the many examples of how Tesla is disrespecting another customer. You should stop complaining because some folks here believe that this is no fault of Tesla's and you should just keep waiting quietly until Tesla can finally change their production set up to make your build. That is after they made all that money by fulfilling easy orders for other customers who ordered way past your OD.
May be you should start a "Is Tesla disrespectful" thread and take it up there.

Or better, call their customer care and take it up with them.

Do you work for Tesla or something? Your reasoning is so corporate that I would think that you do. What kind of consumer buys something major as a car and accommodates production line and configuration turnover time while happily accepting the delays? Meanwhile seeing another customer who bought the car a week later get their car first??? From a consumer perspective, IT IS DISRESPECTFUL. And no, I'm not talking about cases where people did not complete their profile or financing. People who completed their profile and designated payment immediately were still shafted by Tesla with other customers who ordered weeks later get them first. The fact that Tesla is skipping people's orders just because they want to keep making the most common configuration (White/Black) for quick buck IS BEING DISRESPECTFUL.
[I know this is long, but I’m honestly interested in your answers to my questions.]

I’m glad you asked and that you feel this way because it gives you and I a chance to continue this conversation while we twiddle our thumbs waiting for our cars. Plus, it allows me to think this through and gives the true experts in the forum a chance to correct me.

No, I don’t work at Tesla but I have a smidgen of OR studies and enough mfg & engineering experience to think I know how a factory works. So let’s do a thought experiment and see what you would do. (Of course, my numbers are for illustration only, but the process is real.)

You purchase the Acme Car Company. I’ve been the Acme factory mgr for the past 10 years. My objective has been factory efficiency. Your objective is to respect your customers by scheduling orders in a strict FIFO sequence.

At the time of your purchase of the Acme Car Company:
-- We have one paint line in the factory (of course factories may have more but my point remains the same.)
-- We offer 5 colors.
-- The factory works five days a week, 11 hours per day.
-- We batch paint colors: On Mondays we paint white, Tuesdays blue, Wednesdays grey, etc.
-- We mfg 10 cars / day, 50 cars per week (i.e., one car per hour of mfg time.)
-- It takes one hour to reconfigure the paint line from one color to the next. That is done in the 11th hour of each day. From a cost acc’t perspective, the COGS of each car built that day is burdened with 1/10th of that downtime.

The day after you purchase the company you tell me to mfg the cars in the sequence in which customers ordered. You then ask me how many cars we will we build in a week. How many do you think? To give you an answer I ask you to predict the quantity of each color and the pattern in which the orders will arrive. I ask you how many times will I have to change paint colors in a day.

If you can answer those questions, I’ll tell you two things: 1) The number of cars we can build / week. 2) Whether or not you, I and the rest of the workers will be able to put food on our table within a month.

But wait, don’t answer yet.

We’ve got to layer on a little accounting and the fact that twenty other people funded your purchase of Acme Car Company. Those 20 are shareholders like you. It is now March 27, near the end of the fiscal quarter. Your shareholders are pressuring you for a return on their investment with a showing of Q/Q growth rate of 8%.

But, FASB regulations stipulate that Acme’s revrec occurs at customer delivery, not the factory exit.
-- Our car carrying trucks handle 10 cars at a time.
-- Delivery to NYC is 5 days from build date.
-- Delivery to SF is same day as build date.

All 10 of the SF customers ordered before the 10 NYC customers. If on March 27 you build the 10 SF customer cars and on March 28 you build the 10 NYC cars, the NYC customers will not take delivery before quarter end and your Q/Q growth will be an anemic 2%.

Now, what is YOUR decision? Do we fulfill your objective of respecting customers and build and deliver according to the sequence in which we receive customer orders? Or not?

I'm not sure how Tesla does it, but some automakers build in identical batches and some don't.

Every Ford coming down the assembly line has a different trim, color, and options. This allows each vehicle to be built to the dealer's or customer's order and offers a lot of customization. You'll rarely find two truly identical F-150s since there are thousands of possible combinations.

Honda, on the other hand, builds only in identical batches. They don't accept orders. Instead, they accept requests from dealers for a particular trim and color combination (from a relatively small number of possible combinations). Once they receive enough requests for a particular combination, they'll build a batch of them which get distributed to dealers. Depending on how many requests Honda receives for a specific combination, the customer or dealer who places a "special order" (which is actually a request and not an order) may have to wait week or months...or they may never get the particular vehicle they want if Honda doesn't receive enough requests to justify building an identical batch before that year's model run ends.

Notice how each of these Broncos has a different color and wheels. Notice how each of the Honda Accords is identical.

AP21166410553459.jpg

Honda_Marysville_i.jpg
Jump to 12:50 to hear Corey Steuben from Monroe & associates explain exactly why you should build cars in batches and what Ford is doing problematic.

Reactions: arbitrage000
Looks like you are resorting to personal attacks now since you can't even make sense of your own faulty logic. The truth (that you are being disrespected by Tesla) must be really hurting you!

You are just one order among hundreds of thousands of orders that Tesla gets every quarter, for a car that cost just slightly above what an average new car sells for in 2023. That "You are not that special" is a statement of fact, not a personal attack. Speaking of personal attacks, weren't you the one accusing others of working for Tesla because they were trying to patiently explain to you the concept of mass production?

In any case, just because you yourself can't understand something that has been repeatedly explained by multiple people, doesn't mean the logic is faulty.

Reactions: scionbox
[I know this is long, but I’m honestly interested in your answers to my questions.]

I’m glad you asked and that you feel this way because it gives you and I a chance to continue this conversation while we twiddle our thumbs waiting for our cars. Plus, it allows me to think this through and gives the true experts in the forum a chance to correct me.

No, I don’t work at Tesla but I have a smidgen of OR studies and enough mfg & engineering experience to think I know how a factory works. So let’s do a thought experiment and see what you would do. (Of course, my numbers are for illustration only, but the process is real.)

You purchase the Acme Car Company. I’ve been the Acme factory mgr for the past 10 years. My objective has been factory efficiency. Your objective is to respect your customers by scheduling orders in a strict FIFO sequence.

At the time of your purchase of the Acme Car Company:
-- We have one paint line in the factory (of course factories may have more but my point remains the same.)
-- We offer 5 colors.
-- The factory works five days a week, 11 hours per day.
-- We batch paint colors: On Mondays we paint white, Tuesdays blue, Wednesdays grey, etc.
-- We mfg 10 cars / day, 50 cars per week (i.e., one car per hour of mfg time.)
-- It takes one hour to reconfigure the paint line from one color to the next. That is done in the 11th hour of each day. From a cost acc’t perspective, the COGS of each car built that day is burdened with 1/10th of that downtime.

The day after you purchase the company you tell me to mfg the cars in the sequence in which customers ordered. You then ask me how many cars we will we build in a week. How many do you think? To give you an answer I ask you to predict the quantity of each color and the pattern in which the orders will arrive. I ask you how many times will I have to change paint colors in a day.

If you can answer those questions, I’ll tell you two things: 1) The number of cars we can build / week. 2) Whether or not you, I and the rest of the workers will be able to put food on our table within a month.

But wait, don’t answer yet.

We’ve got to layer on a little accounting and the fact that twenty other people funded your purchase of Acme Car Company. Those 20 are shareholders like you. It is now March 27, near the end of the fiscal quarter. Your shareholders are pressuring you for a return on their investment with a showing of Q/Q growth rate of 8%.

But, FASB regulations stipulate that Acme’s revrec occurs at customer delivery, not the factory exit.
-- Our car carrying trucks handle 10 cars at a time.
-- Delivery to NYC is 5 days from build date.
-- Delivery to SF is same day as build date.

All 10 of the SF customers ordered before the 10 NYC customers. If on March 27 you build the 10 SF customer cars and on March 28 you build the 10 NYC cars, the NYC customers will not take delivery before quarter end and your Q/Q growth will be an anemic 2%.

Now, what is YOUR decision? Do we fulfill your objective of respecting customers and build and deliver according to the sequence in which we receive customer orders? Or not?
Sorry to jump in. First of all, very good examples. If @rugox is familiar with the FIFO,COGS,FASB, or the Acme (like John Doe) that finance/accounting folks use, this will be very effective and persuading.

However, you guys are thinking from different perspectives and see the world differently. You are trying to let @rugox see what you see to feel less frustrated but I doubt this will help. Sometime, it is easier for people to vent it out.

I rejected a badly dented car at the service center, they told me that they will not do bondo or body filler, they would only replace the complete panel, (rear liftgate in my case), they didn't know if the new liftgate assembly would arrive to the service center painted, or if it would need to be sent out to a Tesla certified local body shop for paint. That was too much like a used, wrecked car for me, so I opted to wait for a custom order VIN (my original order was from local inventory).
Thanks for sharing your experience. Hmmm, that makes things even more interesting. I guess we will see and I’ll also report back.

Side note: I also created a separate thread about my car’s issues here: Accept or Reject?

Reactions: YisPatHere