Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jump to 12:50 to hear Corey Steuben from Monroe & associates explain exactly why you should build cars in batches and what Ford is doing problematic.
I haven't watched the video yet, but I absolutely agree with building vehicles in identical batches. The reason Ford, GM, and Stellantis, in particular, don't do this is because large, identical batches don't allow for customization which is an expected advantage for these brands.

Honda, for example, doesn't have options or option packages - the vehicle's trim level determines which features the vehicle is equipped with and you can't delete or add individual options or option packages like you can with some other brands.

Cost goes down and quality goes up when you build the same thing over and over. :)

The rules are in the inflation reduction act. The issue was the definition of some of the terms. So the IRS is not set to change the rules, just clarify what they are and what they mean. In December, the basically delayed the battery requirements. They couldn't get clarification done prior to 1/1/2023 and said they would issue guidance in March. The issue is the critical materials language in the act. I believe it is 40% of the materials must come from the US or free trade partner or something like that in 2023 to get $3,750 of the $7,500. The law didn't specify what materials were covered and what exactly is a free trade partner. That is what they are ironing out. Hopefully, they don't get their act together for several more months and then say "here are the rules and they kick in X days from now or on y date". Or even better, "anyone who ordered a vehicle that otherwise would qualify prior to today, do not need to follow the new guidance". But nobody knows what is going to happen.
One of the other definitions that still needs to be worked out is how exactly you measure the percentages of materials fairly. Originally the idea was to measure by the value of the material, rather than by mass, but that opens up a lot of means for manipulation. For example, the automakers could set up their own subsidiary or partner company that sources a minuscule amount of materials from a partner country, but pay that company (pay themselves) an astronomical amount for that material, until they have reached the threshold value, even though the actual battery contains 99% material from a non-partner country.

If we define the percentage by mass, is that the mass of the raw mined material, the mass of the refined mineral, or the mass of the chemical state of the material that is physically in the battery? Each of those can be manipulated too. What if the raw material is mined in the non-partner country, but processed in a partner country? The vast majority of the revenue would go to the partner country, and that's who the automakers would be doing business with, so is that acceptable?

Obviously the real supply chain is much more complicated than these surface-level examples, so a very simple "don't get your battery stuff from China" law gets extremely complicated and nuanced, subject to varying and confusing interpretations. That's why I think you're right that they're not going to have it figured out soon, and when they do, it's not going to go into effect overnight. There will certainly be conflicting opinions on it, and some of those opinions will likely lead to further adjustments and clarifications before implementation.

At this point though, I think the automakers are loving the panic that the March deadline is causing. People are absolutely rabid to get a taste of it right now, and some of them are going to be back on the forums telling their sad story of how they got 'totally screwed over' when they realize they rushed to get a more expensive model that they didn't really want just so they could have it on time for a deadline that never happened. Or, the others will be here with sad stories about how Tesla 'disrespected' them because two other people who ordered later than them got the credit and they didn't.
To my knowledge, there is not a single EV sold in US that would meet the critical battery components requirement. As its written, this requirement makes no common sense. Either remove the requirement or delay its enforcement until a realistic date -- perhaps 1/1/2024 would be realistic.
The law is designed to give the automakers an incentive to make a change, setting requirements that they aren't currently meeting creates a competition among brands to bring as much production to partner countries (basically out of China, et Al.) as possible as quickly as possible. If there's already a company that meets the requirement, they are going to soak up a lot of demand, so it makes more sense to start with a goal that none of them are meeting, but is at least somewhat realistic for them to target. The reason that it's a direct to consumer tax credit is simply because that is much more popular than a corporate subsidy, which is effectively what it is if we're honest. The flip side of that is that getting the consumer involved in a corporate subsidy makes the process more likely to confuse and upset people even when they are directly benefiting from it.

Are they available today or just in production and scheduled to be delivered to the local store at some point? I was looking at those but the "coming soon" aspect of it seems quite vague.
I asked about a “coming soon” vehicle to my SA about when it’s expected to be delivered. They said it hasn’t even been built yet so there’s no EDD for those. So my guess is there’s just VIN assignment on those, but just hitting assembly. So I stuck with my original order.

[I know this is long, but I’m honestly interested in your answers to my questions.]
Now, what is YOUR decision? Do we fulfill your objective of respecting customers and build and deliver according to the sequence in which we receive customer orders? Or not?
What's great about this post is that it's incredibly simplified compared to anything in the real world, and yet the complexity of the problem is still going to absolutely blow some minds here. Unfortunately the people who need to read it are going to TL;DR it.

I wish I could react with "Like" "Helpful" and "Informative" at the same time.

Update:
MYLR Midnight Silver Metallic, 19" Gemini
OD 1/14 1:00pm CST
EDD Originally gave Jan-March
EDD changed to Jan 26 - Feb 23 on 1/18
EDD changed to Feb 3- Feb 17 on 1/27
EDD changed to Feb 12-19 and VIN assigned at 8:30 pm 1/29
EDD changed to Feb 6-15 on 2/4
Text received to schedule delivery: 9:00 am (CST), Sunday, 2/5
Delivery scheduled 2/11
PF668xxx

Well,I couldn't contain myself and stopped by the dealership this morning before they opened (my delivery is scheduled for tomorrow). After looking at quite a few Austin-built cars, I did find mine (Fremont build). In my preliminary inspection, almost all of the panel gaps were uniform, and I could not see any paint defects, although the car was quite dirty and covered with frost (I'm in MN). The only things I noticed were that both rear doors seemed just a little out of alignment, since the door and wheel well trim were not completely flush. The trim was proud on the driver side and the door was slightly proud on the passenger side. Also, I can confirm that this MYLR Fremont car has matrix headlights. Please see photos. The car also had a rear luggage cover in place. I spaced out and forgot to look for mudflaps and PPF, but I think these are to be installed prior to taking delivery.

I will point out the door alignment issues when I take delivery, but I am wondering if any of you have experience or thoughts about this?

P.S. I'm having some problems with uploading images... Will try to post these later.
Thanks for the update! Is this at EP, MW, or RGRs?

Hope to see your photos soon.

I'm not even gonna read all that because you again are telling me that I should be sooooo empathetic about Tesla's production and business timeline and be happy with the delay and being skipped order etc. Nope.
How do you know you were skipped over? Purposefully with intent to harm. That’s what you’d have to prove. Actual purposeful intent. If it’s late, and you get it working the said parameters based on their ability to fulfill their obligations without curtailing or infringing any indie duress on other customers then maybe you’d have a complaint. No judge or court would touch any type of case about a corp purposefully causing undue harm by skipping. Maybe I’m a lawyer so….? Just saying

This is why I think it is a mixed blessing to jump ahead of the line. It's one thing to get a car that's on a truck and the buyer cancels, but another to get a car that was a reject. So in this sense, I prefer being "disrespected" and patiently waiting for the VIN that's assigned to me off the production line, instead of getting a VIN quickly with a fast delivery.

Reactions: YisPatHere
To my knowledge, there is not a single EV sold in US that would meet the critical battery components requirement. As its written, this requirement makes no common sense. Either remove the requirement or delay its enforcement until a realistic date -- perhaps 1/1/2024 would be realistic.
I think the government logic is that people will complain enough that the companies will work to meet the battery specs or the companies will work to achieve the specs so they can prop up demand with lower price cars (all things being equal, next year you can take the ev credit off the price of the car at purchase vs as a tax credit if you choose).

For people getting Austin VINs (or even Fremont) for the Model Y LR, is anyone's 8th digit of the VIN F (indicates performance motor)? There's another thread here where it was found out that some 2023 Model Y LR models are coming with the 4D1 rear motor (new hairpin motor for performance models). There's only been a few people who responded in that thread and it seems everyone who had an F were Austin built Model Y LR in December. Wondering if there are examples of vehicles built after that date with F in the VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: rr_92
I think the government logic is that people will complain enough that the companies will work to meet the battery specs or the companies will work to achieve the specs so they can prop up demand with lower price cars (all things being equal, next year you can take the ev credit off the price of the car at purchase vs as a tax credit if you choose).
Oh, and it kind of worked. Telsa lowered prices by $13k on the MY just so people could get the $7,500 credit if delivered by "the date" and demand went crazy. So if companies work with developing supplies of materials that comply with whatever the standards are eventually, the vehicles become $3,750 cheaper to the consumer.

For people getting Austin VINs (or even Fremont) for the Model Y LR, is anyone's 8th digit of the VIN F (indicates performance motor)? There's another thread here where it was found out that some 2023 Model Y LR models are coming with the 4D1 rear motor (new hairpin motor for performance models). There's only been a few people who responded in that thread and it seems everyone who had an F were Austin built Model Y LR in December. Wondering if there are examples of vehicles built after that date with F in the VIN.
I thought I read 11th digit “F” or “A”