Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this has been covered earlier in this thread... does anyone know if the step of adding insurance will delay the scheduling of your delivery? I'm trying to figure out if I need to rush to add a policy. The beginning of my delivery window is still three days away.

I only updated my insurance and uploaded it after i scheduled delivery so I could use the exact delivery date as the effective date.I don’t think it delayed my delivery
You can add coverage and tell your insurance company to not start it until a certain date. They will give you documentation stating that you have coverage but it will not start until said date, I uploaded that to Tesla. If you're trading in your current vehicle your insurance company will remove the car you're trading in and add your Tesla to your policy at the date you specify.

You can add coverage and tell your insurance company to not start it until a certain date. They will give you documentation stating that you have coverage but it will not start until a certain date, I uploaded that to Tesla. If you're trading in your current vehicle your insurance company will remove the car you're trading in and add your Tesla to your policy at the date you specify.
In Florida the insurance companies cover new cars for a period of time. I sent my current insurance card showing my current vehicles and it was accepted.

Thanks. I was getting ready to pull the plug thinking they offered similar performance. EA fast charging with the 4/month subscription is cheaper compared to to T Super Charger, and available in my area so this would probably be a good investment.

What is the EA rate with the $4/month subscription fees? In Minnesota, EA charges $.31/KWH. Tesla charges $0.46/KWH peak and $0.23/KWH non-peak.

I know in some states, the rate is by the minutes and not KWH. In Wisconsin, EA charging rate is $0.24/Minute (1-350KW). It is is very attractive for Tesla's since Tesla can charge at over 250KW at the low state of charge (20%), That means you will get 4KWH per minute at 250KW for $0.24 ($.06/KWH equivalent).

It seems that in Minnesota with $/KWH, Tesla Superchargers is cheaper (at non-peak) than EA. Would you please share the info in your area? I can see that the EA adapter will provide the convenice and charging flexibility. I am not sure it is cheapter to charge Tesla's at EA on a regular basis though.

• Helpful
Reactions: ursubpar and msinfo
In Florida the insurance companies cover new cars for a period of time. I sent my current insurance card showing my current vehicles and it was accepted.
Thank you for all the responses.

To clarify, the question was not about the timing of insurance as it relates to effective coverage -- but about whether Tesla delays the opportunity to schedule your delivery until you upload proof of insurance.

Did a test drive on Saturday and saw a blue Model Y in person, had to take up that text's offer and change the color from White to Blue,
So far no impact at all on my delivery date

MYLR White/Black/ 5 seat/ 19"/ No tow (Poor man's build)
OD: 1/23 Morning
Original EDD: Jan-Mar
Updated EDD (1/25): 3/17 - 3/31
Updated EDD again (2/5): 3/10 - 3/31
2/11 Changed color from White to Blue
EDD still 3/10 - 3/31
No VIN yet
Inland Empire, SoCal

Depends. Some utility providers have rebates. I have National Grid and they do not offer rebate. I think ConEd is the only utility provider offering rebates and right now they say they are modifying the program and you can join a waitlist:

Then there is the federal 30% rebate that everyone can qualify for. 30% back up to $1000 limit for installing charging at home.

Tesla also tracks these rebates but their information isn't always 100% complete:
Thank you! I’m hoping that federal rebate applies to tesla wall connector. My electrician quoted me for 2.2k to install it.

Reactions: TheSodaSaga
Yes, Ohio is also like that.
$200 extra for Tesla per year.
$100 extra for my old Prius
$0 incentives for electric anything
Yay! lol
VA makes you pay for not using gas. It’s a rip off and indicative of states that suck themselves off repeatedly and vote for things that they don’t know about or even understand. The famous legislate about things that need no legislation. I digress. But it’s stupid for sure.

Just did a rough estimate of insurance rates for our State Farm policy in the PDRNJ. Adding the model Y would result in a premuim increase of about $200.00 for the six month policy period.
How does that compare to other vehicles?

For me, the premium for a Model Y is twice as much as other vehicles in the same price range through State Farm. I get all available discounts, have no claims, and a clean record.

Just did a rough estimate of insurance rates for our State Farm policy in the PDRNJ. Adding the model Y would result in a premuim increase of about $200.00 for the six month policy period.
Wow, that's a very attractive price. I got about $1.2k increase for 12 months on my policy for the Model Y. I have all my properties insured with NJM. Did you get comprehensive and collision coverage?

For me, the premium for a Model Y is twice as much as other vehicles in the same price range through State Farm. I get all available discounts, have no claims, and a clean record.
Not that you were asking me, but for comparison, I use Amica (home, life and auto) - cost of adding a 2nd car (MYLR) to my policy was $570/6 months in Ohio. I have what I think is pretty standard coverage ($300k/$100k; $500/$300 deductibles). This was only $14 more per month than what I currently pay for my 2017 BMW X1. Seemed reasonable to me.

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73
Wow, that's a very attractive price. I got about $1.2k increase for 12 months on my policy for the Model Y. I have all my properties insured with NJM. Did you get comprehensive and collision coverage?
I used to have it with Geico until Jan. When I got a quote to remove my 2010 Civic with a Model Y LR it was around $900 more for 6 Months. So switched to Progressive

With progressive, it was an increase of $200 for 6 Months. I'm in NJ too...

Reactions: NJ08809

We were looking at a 2023 Toyota Sienna XLE (~$45k) prior to the price drop. State Farm quoted $600/6mon for the sienna vs $790/6mon for the MY. We're in the Bay Area, CA and also with State Farm.

Just FYI - When I got my model 3 in 2018 I had NJM. My premium went up $1K per year when I got it. I left NJM and went back down the $1K for the same coverage so it may very well pay to look around again.

Reactions: NJ08809