Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is yours a fremont build or austin build?
Fremont. It would be pretty cool to see the current "status" of your vehicle in transit. I'm thinking like restaurants that show you the progress of your food. "You telsa is on a train" or "your Tesla just wandered across Texas". I'd be the guy to code in some awful like "your car fell off the truck" 😅

Went to Fremont factory today to pickup my sister’s car. We live 10 minutes away. There were probably 500+ cars in the lot for Fremont pickup. Was told that lot was only for this week’s pickup alone at that specific location. 90% were Model Y, mainly white, gray, or black. Saw like 2 red, 1 blue. Down the road in different lots, there were thousands more waiting to be loaded up for non-Fremont deliveries.

What I’m trying to tell you guys is Tesla is cranking out cars like crazy. It’s easy for y’all to sit here and complain about this and that. If you saw that lot, you wouldn’t be complaining and would appreciate them. I’m sure they’re trying their best.

It’s not their fault that y’all ordered the same car at the same time. Calm down, you’ll get your car eventually, and yes all of them had matrix headlights
Only 1 blue?!?! My OD is 1/16 and still waiting for VIN. Lol

Yup talked to the lady at the Delivery Center, she said it would be a toss up changing it. Gonna just hang tight I think. I might just do rentals for a few months, really don’t see myself in the other EVs at this point, thought about model 3 but not as comfortable with kids. Might consider a regular AWD. But seems like a downgrade with not much off the discounted price from January.
There's an interesting arbitrage right now with qualifying Used EVs. The federal credit is 30% for certain cars in certain situations (has to be from dealer). We are buying a short-term EV that meets the criteria and then will re-sell once the MYLR arrives. Even if we lose money in the deal (we really shouldn't, due to the 30%) it will be way less than the rental.

Reactions: MYclub and sdq_11
I did test drive the Model X and quite honestly didn't feel that it is worth the asking price. Never been in a Model Y before but on paper it appears to be the most sensible option to me, certainly a great deal for those who qualify for the Tax Credit. I may reconsider the Model X again in the future only if they work on their cabin quality more but until then, not worth it for me.

So, someone sent me this video and now I am seriously thinking about cancelling my order...

Yup talked to the lady at the Delivery Center, she said it would be a toss up changing it. Gonna just hang tight I think. I might just do rentals for a few months, really don’t see myself in the other EVs at this point, thought about model 3 but not as comfortable with kids. Might consider a regular AWD. But seems like a downgrade with not much off the discounted price from January.
Since you were considering to cancel, I would at least try that. Reports seem to indicate people’s delivery dates moving up, considerably in some cases.

Went to Fremont factory today to pickup my sister’s car. We live 10 minutes away. There were probably 500+ cars in the lot for Fremont pickup. Was told that lot was only for this week’s pickup alone at that specific location. 90% were Model Y, mainly white, gray, or black. Saw like 2 red, 1 blue. Down the road in different lots, there were thousands more waiting to be loaded up for non-Fremont deliveries.

What I’m trying to tell you guys is Tesla is cranking out cars like crazy. It’s easy for y’all to sit here and complain about this and that. If you saw that lot, you wouldn’t be complaining and would appreciate them. I’m sure they’re trying their best.

It’s not their fault that y’all ordered the same car at the same time. Calm down, you’ll get your car eventually, and yes all of them had matrix headlights
Curious - do you pay destination fee if you pick up from the Fremont factory?

• Informative
Reactions: BailMY
Curious - do you pay destination fee if you pick up from the Fremont factory?
Yes. Everyone pays the destination fee regardless of the location or if one picks up from the factory. Basically Tesla or any car company estimates the destination fee by calculating the total estimated overall transport cost of all vehicles divided by the estimated number of vehicles sold. This way everyone shares the transport cost equally so that people far from the factory don't complain.

Fremont. It would be pretty cool to see the current "status" of your vehicle in transit. I'm thinking like restaurants that show you the progress of your food. "You telsa is on a train" or "your Tesla just wandered across Texas". I'd be the guy to code in some awful like "your car fell off the truck" 😅
ok nice let me know how your experience goes and the quality control aspect of the delivery and inspection. It would have been nice to know the exact location. All i know is that mine is on the train on the way to roswell. I have a feeling that the delivery will be earlier than the EDD that they gave me.

So, someone sent me this video and now I am seriously thinking about cancelling my order...

Hi https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/members/majo.267218/,

I've seen this before and agree that the Tesla Model Y (or X) inside is not as exquisite as some other luxury cars (Model X is a different story with different price tag). We've been looking for a new car for my wife for a while. She's been driving some beat up 18 yr old Honda van (180K miles) for a while and I owe her something nice. She had her eyes on Mercedes - GLE trims (there are two: 350 and 450). During the COVID pandemic, all car prices were increased due to chip shortage and dealers were charging 10 - 15% more than MSRP. A decent GLE450 would cost close to $90K and the final cost would be $100K with taxes and everything - and yes the inside is exquisite! We could not bring ourselves to spend that much paying $8K-$15K over MSRP. So, we wait...until early this year. I don't know what the 'right' price is either for a Mercedes GLE 450 or for Tesla Model Y, but we have to do what we have at the hand. Considering the facts - no oil change, no maintenance, no gas, no wait at the service centers, etc., we decided to go with Tesla. Given the tax credit (if I get it), plus gas savings, plus oil change costs (did you notice oil change is now almost three times it used to be!), etc., etc., I think the final cost of a Tesla would be almost half the Mercedes GLE 450. Not a bad bargain, in my opinion.

If you consider cancelling the order, what would be your next choice? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing the video.

This thread is full of amazing people and information. It is also full of absolutely crazy comments like the ID.4 going to be the hot car if Tesla doesn’t get the $3750 tax incentive. What a joke. It’s only $3750. Shouldn’t be that big of a deal to anyone buying if it’s there or not.
Also, that link to that stupid YouTube video above just needs to go. I watched it. It’s just one dudes opinion but I’m happy to see you love and trust him that much to cancel your order 😂😂

Ok rant over.

Yeah I saw that one too.. supposedly a "technical" review that actually did not have much detail other than the time spent on the part of the car he loved which was the cooling/heat pump tech. Clearly his preference is for the higher end cars (where he makes the most money of course!) and Tesla Model Y seems beneath him.

His main complaints are:
  • a "poorly put together body" - but offers no hard evidence to support this claim other than his opinion and showing the taillights. Sure there have been and continue to be build issues with Teslas but they are much better than they were in 2021. Also a lot of people on this thread have reported only very minor things found during acceptance and seem very happy about their purchase.
  • a bland look which is his own personal opinion. Of course the exterior is constrained somewhat by the attempt at lowing drag so you will likely get less ornamentation out of necessity - no mega grills (BMW, Audi) in sight.
  • The interiors aren't as nice as BMW or other high end cars - for example he complains that the back seat buttons in the back cause the seats to go down but not up? My BMW doesn't do that either. He also doesn't like the plastic behind the front seats. At no point does he bring up any bad things about the interior build quality, just some of the materials used and the lack of extra comfort buttons and dials. So yeah the interior is a lot more spartan but not inelegant and also it's by design.
Hopefully you've taken a test drive in this car beforehand so you know what you are getting into right? What alternative EV for around $55K is out there and available right now that will give you the same capabilities for the price? Mach-E? EV-6? Also consider the charging network - even after (some of) the stations get opened to non-Teslas it will STILL be an advantage for long distance travel etc.

At the end of the day it's all about personal choice. In my case, having test drove driven a MY and checked out researched the capabilities etc I'm going to have to disagree with the mechanic's non-technical technical review. I like the look, the technology and accept that there might be some minor build issues..

EDIT: For more in depth technical reviews check out Sandy Munros teardown videos on Youtube. The Teslas are a little dated but still relevant. He also reviews other Evs as well in case you have your eye on something else.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw that one too.. supposedly a "technical" review that actually did not have much detail other than the time spent on the part of the car he loved which was the cooling/heat pump tech. Clearly his preference is for the higher end cars (where he makes the most money of course!) and Tesla Model Y seems beneath him.

His main complaints are:
  • a "poorly put together body" - but offers no hard evidence to support this claim other than his opinion and showing the taillights. Sure there have been and continue to be build issues with Teslas but they are much better than they were in 2021. Also a lot of people on this thread have reported only very minor things found during acceptance and seem very happy about their purchase.
  • a bland look which is his own personal opinion. Of course the exterior is constrained somewhat by the attempt at lowing drag so you will likely get less ornamentation out of necessity - no mega grills (BMW, Audi) in sight.
  • The interiors aren't as nice as BMW or other high end cars - for example he complains that the back seat buttons in the back cause the seats to go down but not up? My BMW doesn't do that either. He also doesn't like the plastic behind the front seats. At no point does he bring up any bad things about the interior build quality, just some of the materials used and the lack of extra comfort buttons and dials. So yeah the interior is a lot more spartan but not inelegant and also it's by design.
Hopefully you've taken a test drive in this car beforehand so you know what you are getting into right? What alternative EV for around $55K is out there and available right now that will give you the same capabilities for the price? Mach-E? EV-6? Also consider the charging network - even after (some of) the stations get opened to non-Teslas it will STILL be an advantage for long distance travel etc.

At the end of the day it's all about personal choice. In my case, having test drove a MY and checked out the capabilities etc I'm going to have to disagree with the mechanic's non-technical technical review. I like the look, the technology and accept that there might be some minor build issues..
You took far too much time replying like this. I think it’s a troll but you made really good points