Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone from 1/14 OD still waiting for a VIN?

OD 1/14 MY/LR/BLK/19/tow Gilroy, ca (about 45 min from Fremont) EDD 1/31-2/8.

EDD changed to performance on 2/8
2/8-2/14,15,16,17,18

2/18-23,24

Now 2/20-3/3
If you change the model you fall back in the line. at least thats my understanding from lurking for a month or so. the day you changed from LR to P is effectively your new OD

Reactions: erktrek
Hi https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/members/majo.267218/,

I've seen this before and agree that the Tesla Model Y (or X) inside is not as exquisite as some other luxury cars (Model X is a different story with different price tag). We've been looking for a new car for my wife for a while. She's been driving some beat up 18 yr old Honda van (180K miles) for a while and I owe her something nice. She had her eyes on Mercedes - GLE trims (there are two: 350 and 450). During the COVID pandemic, all car prices were increased due to chip shortage and dealers were charging 10 - 15% more than MSRP. A decent GLE450 would cost close to $90K and the final cost would be $100K with taxes and everything - and yes the inside is exquisite! We could not bring ourselves to spend that much paying $8K-$15K over MSRP. So, we wait...until early this year. I don't know what the 'right' price is either for a Mercedes GLE 450 or for Tesla Model Y, but we have to do what we have at the hand. Considering the facts - no oil change, no maintenance, no gas, no wait at the service centers, etc., we decided to go with Tesla. Given the tax credit (if I get it), plus gas savings, plus oil change costs (did you notice oil change is now almost three times it used to be!), etc., etc., I think the final cost of a Tesla would be almost half the Mercedes GLE 450. Not a bad bargain, in my opinion.

If you consider cancelling the order, what would be your next choice? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing the video.
The sole reason I placed an order for the Model Y was that I wanted to try Electric cars without spending much. I've never been in a Model Y before but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I did a Model X Demo drive and I was appalled by the cabin quality so I decided that a Model Y being half the price would be a good compromise however, it doesn't look like that even after the price cut it is worth the asking price, I'd still like to maintain some minimum quality standards. If I end up cancelling my order, I won't be seeking an alternative per se as I don't really need a car right now. I was just looking for the cheapest and safest option to test the EV waters. Still wouldn't have been my main car. I drive a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and I don't plant to get rid of it.

If your primary objective is an under $80K Electric car, the Model Y is pretty much the only viable option. It's really tricky with electric cars, there aren't that many options to choose from.

Yeah I saw that one too.. supposedly a "technical" review that actually did not have much detail other than the time spent on the part of the car he loved which was the cooling/heat pump tech. Clearly his preference is for the higher end cars (where he makes the most money of course!) and Tesla Model Y seems beneath him.

His main complaints are:
  • a "poorly put together body" - but offers no hard evidence to support this claim other than his opinion and showing the taillights. Sure there have been and continue to be build issues with Teslas but they are much better than they were in 2021. Also a lot of people on this thread have reported only very minor things found during acceptance and seem very happy about their purchase.
  • a bland look which is his own personal opinion. Of course the exterior is constrained somewhat by the attempt at lowing drag so you will likely get less ornamentation out of necessity - no mega grills (BMW, Audi) in sight.
  • The interiors aren't as nice as BMW or other high end cars - for example he complains that the back seat buttons in the back cause the seats to go down but not up? My BMW doesn't do that either. He also doesn't like the plastic behind the front seats. At no point does he bring up any bad things about the interior build quality, just some of the materials used and the lack of extra comfort buttons and dials. So yeah the interior is a lot more spartan but not inelegant and also it's by design.
Hopefully you've taken a test drive in this car beforehand so you know what you are getting into right? What alternative EV for around $55K is out there and available right now that will give you the same capabilities for the price? Mach-E? EV-6? Also consider the charging network - even after (some of) the stations get opened to non-Teslas it will STILL be an advantage for long distance travel etc.

At the end of the day it's all about personal choice. In my case, having test drove driven a MY and checked out researched the capabilities etc I'm going to have to disagree with the mechanic's non-technical technical review. I like the look, the technology and accept that there might be some minor build issues..

EDIT: For more in depth technical reviews check out Sandy Munros teardown videos on Youtube. The Teslas are a little dated but still relevant. He also reviews other Evs as well in case you have your eye on something else.
Thanks for your input ... The reviewing Technician actually said that the Teslas are decades ahead of their nearest EV competitors in EV tech... He also pointed out that the car is poorly and cheaply put together. Having passed on the Model X myself after test driving one for exactly that same reason being the very poor quality of the car build inside and out, I can only imagine the case with the Model Y (which I've never been in) and I like to enjoy the space I occupy while I'm driving. Having said that... as I have mentioned in an earlier post... If someone qualifies for the new EV Tax Credits and for them the Model Y will end up being like $42K-$45K then who cares about the car quality, the tech alone would be worth it...

I’m a bit late… picked up my mom, installed some cargo liners and then had dinner at my sister’s place.

When I picked up the MYP, I found one scratch… but it rubbed off, so no worry there. The panels looks okay as far as I could tell with my lazy glance.

The only two issues I’ve had so far… the armrest doesn’t click close on its own, I have to apply some pressure for it to click.

And regen is freaking aggressive! It brakes harder than I do. This one pedal driving will take some getting used to.

Well, it’s all fine.

The sole reason I placed an order for the Model Y was that I wanted to try Electric cars without spending much. I've never been in a Model Y before but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I did a Model X Demo drive and I was appalled by the cabin quality so I decided that a Model Y being half the price would be a good compromise however, it doesn't look like that even after the price cut it is worth the asking price, I'd still like to maintain some minimum quality standards. If I end up cancelling my order, I won't be seeking an alternative per se as I don't really need a car right now. I was just looking for the cheapest and safest option to test the EV waters. Still wouldn't have been my main car. I drive a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and I don't plant to get rid of it.

If your primary objective is an under $80K Electric car, the Model Y is pretty much the only viable option. It's really tricky with electric cars, there aren't that many options to choose from.
If you can ignore the fact that Chevy recalled every single Chevy Bolt they ever made -- twice -- then the Bolt is for you. Just kidding... there are no good alternatives to the MY.

Thanks for your input ... The reviewing Technician actually said that the Teslas are decades ahead of their nearest EV competitors in EV tech... He also pointed out that the car is poorly and cheaply put together. Having passed on the Model X myself after test driving one for exactly that same reason being the very poor quality of the car build inside and out, I can only imagine the case with the Model Y (which I've never been in) and I like to enjoy the space I occupy while I'm driving. Having said that... as I have mentioned in an earlier post... If someone qualifies for the new EV Tax Credits and for them the Model Y will end up being like $42K-$45K then who cares about the car quality, the tech alone would be worth it...
Hi https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/members/erktrek.267497/,

I agree and disagree with you :). Yes, the tech alone could be worth the car price - but then who knows the actual price, right? Every car maker is here to make money! But we do care about the quality as well - it is not terrible - I think I read somewhere that Tesla's approach - trying to be 'Green' is to take the minimalistic approach - nothing 'extravagant' (by the way, this is also subjective). Best to all!

Reactions: erktrek
Your reviewing tech was right, "Teslas are decades ahead of their nearest EV competitors in EV tech." But Tesla is also years ahead in just plain building a car.

I recommend you watch Sandy Munro's teardown videos.
Here's his playlist of the MY teardown:

A couple years later he tore down an Austin built MY:

His playlist: https://www.youtube.com/@MunroLive/playlists

A few other suggested vids...

Not that you're considering a Ford, but take 12 minutes to see what it looks like when you start with a blank slate vs modify a vehicle from ICE to EV... Tesla vs Ford Mach E Thermal:
. Note, Sandy likes the Mach E and thinks Ford did an excellent job given their constraints.

Here's what the Ford Mach E Thermal system looks like while still in the car:

A few more points:

Tesla Advanced Production

Start at 15:08 and listen for just 3 minutes. This is Sandy Munro at the new Tesla factory showing the reduction in parts Tesla needs to build a car. The result is a much better quality car. No one else does this.

Tesla Now Runs the Most Productive Auto Factory in America -- Elon Musk’s California plant cranked out more cars than 70 competing facilities in North America. His next factories are even bigger.

Tesla Now Runs the Most Productive Auto Factory in America

I’m a bit late… picked up my mom, installed some cargo liners and then had dinner at my sister’s place.

When I picked up the MYP, I found one scratch… but it rubbed off, so no worry there. The panels looks okay as far as I could tell with my lazy glance.

The only two issues I’ve had so far… the armrest doesn’t click close on its own, I have to apply some pressure for it to click.

And regen is freaking aggressive! It brakes harder than I do. This one pedal driving will take some getting used to.

Well, it’s all fine.
There are 3 settings for the regen braking. Hold (default, the most braking when releasing the accelerator, I got used to it in about 10 minutes and still use it), creep (my wife likes this one, somewhat like an ICE car coasting) and roll (free rolling like a vehicle in Neutral).

Yep agree he did say it.
poorly and cheaply put together
but then offered no technical reasons as to why this is so - just opinions based on what he prefers in terms of other high end luxury cars.

Check out Sandy Munro videos for a more honest and very thorough look at Teslas and other EVs if you are interested.

So the bottom line is you placed an order for a Model Y even though you hated the Model X's interior that you previously test drove and then cancelled the order after seeing the video because you agreed with the mechanic even though he provided no evidence of the MY's poor build quality and being cheaply made? If it was based on the interior you would have to have already known that the Model Y would be similarly minimalistic to the X right? That's kind of Teslas thing. If you are looking for something just to play around with then consider the Chevy Bolt EV...

Anyway best of luck to you! It's awesome that California is getting into EVs in such a big way. It's definitely helping force change on the rest of the country.

Reactions: greenearth2129
If you can ignore the fact that Chevy recalled every single Chevy Bolt they ever made -- twice -- then the Bolt is for you. Just kidding... there are no good alternatives to the MY.
Well the Model 3 maybe? Also if your ride is a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and live in SoCal it's possible you might not qualify for the EV Tax credits anyway as there is a pesky max cap on income. Dunno about Cali's rebates though.

edit: For a play EV car I think the Bolt would be perfect and it has more of a "real" interior... real cheap interior but still.

Reactions: BailMY and ATG1
MYLR white/black zero options
OD: 1/16
Bay area

EDD1: jan-mar
EDD2: feb12-feb26
EDD3 on feb12: feb22-mar22

got tired of waiting and it does seem like the bottleneck is with the 19" gemini wheels.
saw several folks upgraded to 20" induction and immediately got vin so thought i'd give it a try as a hedge to locking in the extra $3750 (plus i also like the look of the 20" more).
added the 20" at ~4pm today and got VIN (fremont) 2hrs later at 6pm with delivery date feb21-feb28 and it says the odometer has 15 miles on it already.

Any chance of it being a reject?
Also, i remember seeing some posts on decoding the motor HP a while back but couldn't find it anymore. Would someone please point me to it? thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: Antique_High80
MYLR white/black zero options
OD: 1/16
Bay area

EDD1: jan-mar
EDD2: feb12-feb26
EDD3 on feb12: feb22-mar22

got tired of waiting and it does seem like the bottleneck is with the 19" gemini wheels.
saw several folks upgraded to 20" induction and immediately got vin so thought i'd give it a try as a hedge to locking in the extra $3750 (plus i also like the look of the 20" more).
added the 20" at ~4pm today and got VIN (fremont) 2hrs later at 6pm with delivery date feb21-feb28 and it says the odometer has 15 miles on it already.

Any chance of it being a reject?
Also, i remember seeing some posts on decoding the motor HP a while back but couldn't find it anymore. Would someone please point me to it.
Dont worry about the 15 miles . they write that down on every vehicle. Sunday I was at a Delivery Center in Riverside CA and every single Tesla MY has 15 miles written on the DMV temp reg taped to the the windows. As far as a reject just compare your VIN sequential to other recently issued VIN They should be similar in number sequence.

I think your idea not to purchase a MY is a very good one for you. It is so beneath you since this EV, in your opinion, is so lacking in quality. After all, you really don't need one since you already drive a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S (which I, for one, am SO impressed). I'm afraid that you'll be very unhappy with your purchase decision for just wanting to 'try Electric cars without spending much'. However, for many of us, the MY represents a significant purchase as well a source of joy and pride of ownership.

Reactions: MYclub
Order Date: 2/2/2023
Build: MYLR /Blue / Black /20
EDD #1: March - May 2023

Received VIN via text and email on 2/16/2023
EDD #2: Feb. 28 - March 9 2023 (updated on 2/16/2023)
2/20/23: Received a call today from Tesla rep asking when I want to pick up car...Saturday or Sunday.
Scheduled delivery February 25, 2023

Asked me if I wanted Uber voucher to take me to Tesla dealer to pick up vehicle. I said yes.