Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looking at the order tracker, I'm surprised how few MYs have been delivered that were ordered from 1/13 to 1/16 and at the sea of blank cells in the spreadsheet for vehicles ordered since 1/17. It feels like instead of shipping and delivering vehicles by the truckload as they are built, they're storing them to unleash at a later date for some reason. Maybe they're having trouble finding choo choo trains and transport trucks to move them - I know that's been a bottleneck in the industry for a while in addition to parts shortages.

I can finally stop obsessing over this thread!

MYLR white/black/19"
OD: 1/14
Took delivery in Libertyville 2/20

Showed up early - it was inside being washed. Waited for it to be pulled around. Inspected the exterior: driver front tire had cap sticking out, just snapped it back in; one scuff on paint below passenger mirror (should easily buff out); some sealant on paint from the large glass piece.

They were not very willing to unlock the vehicle for me, but eventually did. Cleaner they used on seats left smudges, so I will need to clean myself. Also found yellow powder on inside of overhead glass, but it came off. Inside of door seals were pretty dirty, but PPF place is taking care of that. Screen plastic was already peeling off - I left it on for the time being since it's in a shop.

Signing documents was quick. They did not explain how the federal tax credit documents will work in person which caused issues - eventually got a text from the 510 number saying I opted for Tesla to share my tax info when the IRS comes out with paperwork (but they couldn't explain that in-person??). So confusing. Very hopeful I will actually get the $7500 for next year's taxes.

Drive to PPF place was about half an hour - enough time for cameras to calibrate. I noticed a pull to the left (should pull to the right slightly on every vehicle), so I may need to request alignment service. Other than that, it rode like a dream. So excited to get it back on Friday!

For those in Chicago/Midwest looking for PPF, I may come back and leave a review for that place (to be named later). Initial thoughts were that the place was clean, front desk person was very easy to talk to, and they were excited to do a full PPF on my Tesla (I mean, they're getting $5000 from me, so makes sense). It's so interesting getting notifications when they leave the doors open haha.

Overall, despite a few hiccups, I am very excited to officially be a part of the Tesla family! 🥳
👍

Just looking at the order tracker, I'm surprised how few MYs have been delivered that were ordered from 1/13 to 1/16 and at the sea of blank cells in the spreadsheet for vehicles ordered since 1/17. It feels like instead of shipping and delivering vehicles by the truckload as they are built, they're storing them to unleash at a later date for some reason. Maybe they're having trouble finding choo choo trains and transport trucks to move them - I know that's been a bottleneck in the industry for a while in addition to parts shortages.
Or there is some sort of vehicle update going on with the MYs maybe? (definitely NOT HW 4 though) - I'm happy to wait until Q2 if so... mostly.

There are 3 settings for the regen braking. Hold (default, the most braking when releasing the accelerator, I got used to it in about 10 minutes and still use it), creep (my wife likes this one, somewhat like an ICE car coasting) and roll (free rolling like a vehicle in Neutral).
Is there any data which regen (out of the three) would give you most? I know we are probably splitting hairs here - but thought to ask if anyone knows as sometimes a few miles extra can be a life savor :).

MYLR W/W 19” (no other options)
Austin
OD 1/13 (around noon CST)
EDD originally Jan - Feb
Few updates...lost track but all in bewteen Jan and Feb.
EDD update 2/19: Feb 19 - Mar 02
EDD update 2/20: Feb 20 - Mar 02
EDD update 2/21: Feb 21 - Mar 02

No VIN yet.

Reactions: Lady
Wishful thinking, but pretty sure under the electronically accepted terms during the order placement, this would be a breach of the terms and result in forfeit of the deposit.
Tesla would not change me to the registered owner on an earlier order which had the same configuration, price, and location (Phoenix). The original registrant purchased another MY out of inventory and was already resigned to the fact that he wasn't going to be able to recover his deposit. I was going to cancel my order and forfeit the deposit on that order as well. Tried twice, no dice.

(Anyone have extra spare TSLA stock they'd sell for January price of $108? Let me know. ;) )

Hey thanks for the discussion!! Interesting stuff. Here are my thoughts:

- Agree that EVs are different than ICE in terms of sounds and this does take a little getting used to - otherwise this is completely subjective if you love the rumble of a deep throated V8. Here is an interesting article about Tesla sounds from TeslaTap.
- CRV is a hybrid and not a BEV so is not a good comparison - the Chevy Bolt or ID.4 is probably more appropriate. Realize that with a hybrid you have higher maintenance costs and far less efficiency than a BEV but maybe more than an ICE vehicle - you have to haul a battery AND an ICE engine around with you.
- FSD aside the tech advances are in the heat pump and cooling systems, structural battery packs, integrated design allowing OTAs, and the advanced build process now with megacasting goodness - these are far ahead of the competition right now. Check out Sandy Munro vids as they offer a great explanation and some negatives as well - Tesla vehicles are certainly not perfect.
- I do not understand this point about moral high ground at all? Buy an EV and help promote the green revolution seems like a simple enough message. It IS disappointing that right now doing so is only available to the middle and upper class folks. Lower income folks will likely be forced to continue using ICE vehicles for the foreseeable future - even as repair shops and gas stations decline and services/petrol costs rise.
- This is completely subjective - Tesla Interiors are basic by design. I get the OPs "blue jeans" reference but also agree with you as well - it IS futuristic but also simple so I think both observations work.
- Tesla is constantly iterating all the vehicles - This years Model Y is different. Sometimes the change is larger sometimes not.
- In terms of growth predictions keep in mind Teslas competition is with ICE vehicles not other EVs and there is still a huge ICE market. As prices of EVs become more competitive you will see increases in EV sales and declines in ICE sales. Hybrids are legacy manufacturer's (and oil/gas industry's) last gasp at trying to maintain the status quo.
- I suspect the change to EVs will occur a lot more rapidly than people suspect. Similar to the automobile supplanting horse and buggy in the 1900s in a mere 13 years.

- CRV is a perfectly fine comparison with the Model Y, since this point was answering the claim that the Model Y "price is now on par with or cheaper than every other alternative of the same size (after ev tax credits and fuel savings)" Clearly, this was in reference to gasoline powered cars.
- None of these things you mentioned are revolutionary in the sense that they are somehow new scientific breakthroughs. These are evolutionary engineering improvements - perhaps at a scale that has not been done before, but it wouldn't take long for other car manufacturers to do. My 2018 Honda Odyssey, for example, received OTA updates.
- Not sure why you don't get the point about the moral high ground while at the same time explaining why it is justifiable in feeling this way. Ask yourself why someone would feel the need to show anyone the middle finger.
- Showing the streets of NYC is cherry-picking. Car ownership in the US didn't really become popular as we currently understand it until the 1960s. Car ownership reached about 20% as a ratio to US population by the end of the 1920s and it kind of just stagnated through to the end of the 1950s. So if you are looking for a parallel for EV adoption, car ownership is not it. I don't doubt that EV will become quite popular. It is the future, and it is inevitable. There are just challenges in short term transition that needs to be resolved before it can be adopted widely. The median age of cars in the US is over 12 years. This tells us that a lot of people hold onto older inexpensive cars. It'll be a long while before EVs filter down to that scale.

Reactions: Antique_High80
It is interesting and a little scary. I check it several times a day and refresh. Also relatively low input after Feb 3-5. We know the demand has been high, so why so few new entries? I ordered 1/27 (placed evening of 1/26) But checking daily in the past week or so, it does seem like almost no changes after about 1/15-16... hardly any new VIN assignments. Maybe people are just not going in and updating. I hope there's not too big a bottleneck as I already sold my truck, so other than my motorcycle, no transportation until the MYLR arrives!

For those who may not be aware, this is the spreadsheet being referred to.

• Helpful
Reactions: BailMY and Lady
LOL, you are the one that made the inflammatory claims and now resort to ad hominem attacks when your claims are challenged. Why am I not surprised?
Inflammatory claims ? Because I stated my reasons for my MY order? You are sick, get help ASAP…

You changed your mind about your order? Good, move on with your life and stop stalking this thread…. Don’t let the door hit you on way out

Is there any data which regen (out of the three) would give you most? I know we are probably splitting hairs here - but thought to ask if anyone knows as sometimes a few miles extra can be a life savor :).
Just to be clear, Hold, Roll and Creep are all  stopping modes, not regen modes. By the time the car has come to a stop, regeneration is done. You have the choice of two regen modes: Standard (i.e., full) and Chill (less than full). (If you get S3XY Buttons, you can chose from 5 modes.)

It is interesting and a little scary. I check it several times a day and refresh. Also relatively low input after Feb 3-5. We know the demand has been high, so why so few new entries? I ordered 1/27 (placed evening of 1/26) But checking daily in the past week or so, it does seem like almost no changes after about 1/15-16... hardly any new VIN assignments. Maybe people are just not going in and updating. I hope there's not too big a bottleneck as I already sold my truck, so other than my motorcycle, no transportation until the MYLR arrives!

For those who may not be aware, this is the spreadsheet being referred to.
Last night a SA (who supports this area) said that he was confident that all January MY orders would be delivered by the end of March. I hope his prediction is correct.

Regarding the spreadsheet, I suspect that many people do not bother to update the spreadsheet after taking delivery. They are too busy enjoying their new Tesla.

OD : 1/18
EDD : 3/12 - 3/31