Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYLR Black (original)/ white (later changed)/Black interior no other changes
OD: 1/17 Around 7PM
EDD 1/22: 2/17 - 3/24
Changed color to White on 1/24 and got same EDD
EDD 2/5: 2/12 - 2/26
EDD 2/19: 2/19-3/3
Got VIN on 2/21 Austin build PA079xxx
EDD 2/22-3/1

I texted the SA to find out about the build date and the reply that I got “the car was built yesterday” lol

As soon as I take delivery of my MYLR, I plan on having XPEL PPF 'Track Package' installed, ceramic coating, and XPEL ceramic window tinting.

The shop owner is a Tesla enthusiast/owner and offers, at no extra charge, paint and gap inspection. This provides some peace of mind and hopefully, I'll enjoy the delivery process a little more.

Reactions: erktrek
A few counter arguments as someone who also bought a Model Y:

- The flip side is that there is no sound from an electric car, no sense of mechanical urgency or drama. You may say this is a subjective preference, but so is the subjective preference for something that is silent. We are talking about how things feel, after all.
- The CR-V is significantly cheaper than the Model Y, even after EV tax credits and fuel savings.
- I don't know what technology you are talking about that is unmatched. If you are referring to enhanced autopilot or full self-driving, that's an extra 6-15k on top of the existing cost. Remember, the newest 2023 Model Y doesn't even have ultrasonic sensors. Also no Android Auto or Carplay.
- The "charging" network for gasoline cars are several orders of magnitude larger.
- Not really 0 emissions. That electricity had emissions to generate and distribute. This is simple science that you cannot deny. It may be *less* emissions, but less is not the same as zero, as any scientist should be able to confirm with you.
- It's laughable to deride companies for offering a product that people want to buy and consume. If there are social "ills" you want to fix, such as obesity, alcoholism, gambling addiction, etc, go change people's behavior that results in the unhealthy demand for such goods. I get that we need to transition our energy consumption, but putting yourself on a moral high horse while, in your own words, giving the finger to others, reeks of elitism.
- Tesla interiors are *NOT* t-shirts and jeans in terms of styling concept and execution. Tesla interiors are ultra-modern and sleek. The term "space ship" is the analogy most used to describe what it feels like to sit in one. Some may prefer it but lets not call it what it isn't.
- My prediction is that in 5 years, Tesla will have to update the Model Y because of increased competition. Also, uptake of EVs will slow from the current growth rate - but still grow - as the costs and limitations of EVs become better understood.
I appreciate both the points and counter-points. Picked my Model Y up on 2/2, and am so far extremely happy with it. Thanks in part to this very thread, that helped make the whole experience that much more special to me! (Though I'll try to keep from straying from topic from now on - I'm admittedly one of the worst offenders - sorry!)

That said, I'll be the first to admit that there were some things I did not know about the Model Y before I pulled the trigger - my fault, despite doing tons and tons of reading. But range is a big one. It's kind of funny that it's called the "Long Range" model Y. Maybe relatively speaking it's longer range than previous Tesla's, but not in comparison with a gas car. And it's not a trivial subject - range can vary greatly depending on the circumstances. Finally, the EPA of 330 miles is misleading at best, I feel. Still love my Model Y, but certainly the range issue should factor pretty high on the list of those trying to decide. Did I mention I'm absolutely in love with this car?

Reactions: NovaY and erktrek
I appreciate both the points and counter-points. Picked my Model Y up on 2/2, and am so far extremely happy with it. That said, I'll be the first to admit that there were some things I did not know about the Model Y before I pulled the trigger - my fault, despite doing tons and tons of reading. But range is a big one. It's kind of funny that it's called the "Long Range" model Y. Maybe relatively speaking it's longer range than previous Tesla's, but not in comparison with a gas car. And it's not a trivial subject - range can vary greatly depending on the circumstances. Finally, the EPA of 330 miles is misleading at best, I feel. Still love my Model Y, but certainly the range issue should factor pretty high on the list of those trying to decide. Did I mention I'm absolutely in love with this car?
There are several excellent videos on YouTube that depict the ins-and-outs of roadtripping a MY. I enjoy comparing their experience to our family's trek in a full-size SUV.

That's too bad. I ordered the same configuration on 1/20. My current EDD is Mar 26-31, but I was hoping it might be sooner. Looks like that won't be the case. Anyone know what's up with the 19" wheels? Supplier issue, or has Tesla just decided to do a big batch of the 20's right now?
I spoke of this last night with a SA. When the MY IRA cap was $55k, many of the orders were with 19s in order to keep the MSRP below that threshold. Now that the limit is now $80K, Tesla would like to upsell to 20s. I opined that was to gain larger profit margin and reduce glut of 20s. He didn't disagree.

That's too bad. I ordered the same configuration on 1/20. My current EDD is Mar 26-31, but I was hoping it might be sooner. Looks like that won't be the case. Anyone know what's up with the 19" wheels? Supplier issue, or has Tesla just decided to do a big batch of the 20's right now?
I'm also wondering about that too. I've been asking my SA but not getting any helpful response.

As soon as I take delivery of my MYLR, I plan on having XPEL PPF 'Track Package' installed, ceramic coating, and XPEL ceramic window tinting.

The shop owner is a Tesla enthusiast/owner and offers, at no extra charge, paint and gap inspection. This provides some peace of mind and hopefully, I'll enjoy the delivery process a little more.

same. already scheduling for the ppf and full tint job after i pick it up this thursday.

Reactions: ev4robert
Need advise :

Ordered MYLRMSM19" basic cost was $52990+gray color=$53990
This morning I saw a same built plus the induction wheels (+$2000) for $54990 was being offered to me in my account, thinking that tesla will honor my original order price $52990 and clicked on confirm and grabbed the car. Got win within seconds.
But the basic price of the car changed from $52990 to $54990. plus, the $2000 induction wheels and car end up costing me $4000 more.
I called and texted SA, unfortunately they would not honor my initial order price of $52990! They changed it to $54990.
I am very disappointed and trying to find ways to rectify the situation. I told them i don't want the car with higher price tag and would like to revert back to my initial order with no luck.
When i ordered the car on 1/20 i paid $250 deposit. $250 is supposed to lock my price and keep my order in place.
Unfortunately this is not the case. I feel like i was tricked into purchasing a more expensive car.
I want to talk to a supervisor or higher authority, unfortunately i was on hold twice more than 30 minutes with no answer.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Need advise :

Ordered MYLRMSM19" basic cost was $52990+gray color=$53990
This morning I saw a same built plus the induction wheels (+$2000) for $54990 was being offered to me in my account, thinking that tesla will honor my original order price $52990 and clicked on confirm and grabbed the car. Got win within seconds.
But the basic price of the car changed from $52990 to $54990. plus, the $2000 induction wheels and car end up costing me $4000 more.
I called and texted SA, unfortunately they would not honor my initial order price of $52990! They changed it to $54990.
I am very disappointed and trying to find ways to rectify the situation. I told them i don't want the car with higher price tag and would like to revert back to my initial order with no luck.
When i ordered the car on 1/20 i paid $250 deposit. $250 is supposed to lock my price and keep my order in place.
Unfortunately this is not the case. I feel like i was tricked into purchasing a more expensive car.
I want to talk to a supervisor or higher authority, unfortunately i was on hold twice more than 30 minutes with no answer.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
• What do you mean by same built with induction wheels was "offered to you in your account" ?
• Did you edit your built or placed a new order ?

They honor original price only if you make the change through the SA not if you place a new order.

• Helpful
Reactions: WyoDude and BailMY
• What do you mean by same built with induction wheels were "offered to you i your account ?

They honor original price only if you make the change through the SA not if you place a new order.
I saw the car in the inventory of my local tesla and popped up in my account as available for accelerated delivery and ordered right then and there.
If it is a new order i should have paid $250. It didn't ask me to pay anything, It automatically assigned under my reservation number and increased my original order price to $54990 from $52990.

Today, received a new VIN at 8, followed by another text an hour later to schedule a pickup!

Ordered LR w/w on 1/14 11pm
Switched to P b/w/tow on 2/3
Last EDD was Feb 27 - Mar 01
Delivery scheduled for Fri 2/24

So, it is actually earlier than EDD, so a bit of good news for those folks who are still waiting.
will report back on Friday as to what hopefully will be a closure to this waiting room for me!

• What do you mean by same built with induction wheels was "offered to you in your account" ?

Last night I was discussing the replacement of my custom order (19s) with an in-inventory car with 20s. The SA said if I do a straight swap, I'd have to pay the current pricing. If I edit my order (from 19s to 20s) and Tesla subsequently matches me, the original base price would remain the same.

I saw the car in the inventory of my local tesla and popped up in my account as available for accelerated delivery and ordered right then and there.
If it is a new order i should have paid $250. It didn't ask me to pay anything, It automatically assigned under my reservation number and increased my original order price to $54990 from $52990.
Yeah you should have asked the SA to edit it for you. Since you edited it yourself, I don't think anything can be done now. You can simply edit your design again to the previous configuration but I am afraid that might push you back the line. I would go meet the SA and ask for help.

I appreciate both the points and counter-points. Picked my Model Y up on 2/2, and am so far extremely happy with it. That said, I'll be the first to admit that there were some things I did not know about the Model Y before I pulled the trigger - my fault, despite doing tons and tons of reading. But range is a big one. It's kind of funny that it's called the "Long Range" model Y. Maybe relatively speaking it's longer range than previous Tesla's, but not in comparison with a gas car. And it's not a trivial subject - range can vary greatly depending on the circumstances. Finally, the EPA of 330 miles is misleading at best, I feel. Still love my Model Y, but certainly the range issue should factor pretty high on the list of those trying to decide. Did I mention I'm absolutely in love with this car?
I am supposed to take delivery of my Y tomorrow, after which I am taking it on an 850-mile road trip. We are a little nervous about taking this on being first-time EV car owners, but we are looking forward to getting through it. Oh and before that trip I am doing DIY ppf for the front bumper, hood, quarter panels, lights, mirrors, and lower half doors. I'll probably do a ceramic coating down the line after the PPF cures. No pressure.

• Continue your effort to revert your order back
  • Walk away and forfeit your $250 order fee
  • Move forward with the higher priced accelerated order and consider the 2k as a fee to accelerate your delivery, the other 2k (4k total) is for the 20" wheels that you agreed to
Make a decision and enjoy the rest of your day

Reactions: hp1234 and Ven2000
I am supposed to take delivery of my Y tomorrow, after which I am taking it on an 850-mile road trip. We are a little nervous about taking this on being first-time EV car owners, but we are looking forward to getting through it. Oh and before that trip I am doing DIY ppf for the front bumper, hood, quarter panels, lights, mirrors, and lower half doors. I'll probably do a ceramic coating down the line after the PPF cures. No pressure.
Good luck! Report back your experiences if you can - will be an adventure whatever happens! We were going to have to do a similar trip when our EDD was Mar 20-31 but then things got pushed so now it's just waiting...

Dang, that's a lot to take on!

Here's how it would go for me if I installed PPF... As we're cruising down the freeway, spouse asks 'What's that flapping/whistling sound?' I respond, 'Oh that's the PPF doing its job. Hey, isn't this interior really cool?'.