Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading several posts sharing their experiences before taking deliveries I was expecting Tesla folks wouldn't allow me to access vehicle until I sign all paper work and accept vehicle, but BIG surprise nobody prevented me accessing vehicle, I am really happy with my whole delivery it was seamless and Tesla Folks at Cleveland were friendly, courteous and were willing to listen, understand and answer my questions.

Glad you had a great experience. Being the internet, the super negative posts get most of the attention. I bet most experiences are like yours. I know our 2 deliveries were great.

Good observation. Simply put, the net margin of your order is lower than others to be prioritized.
As for why Tesla is holding least price cars on hold and fulfilling orders with higher-priced cars first, it's possible that they are prioritizing orders based on factors such as delivery location, production capacity, or customer preferences. It's also possible that they are fulfilling orders based on profitability, which could be higher for higher-priced cars. However, without access to internal information, it's impossible to know for sure. I too ordered MYLR basic on 17 January and DD showing 03/5-03/31 from first day onwards. My friend got the same spec. after the price increase.. I'm going to cancel if fail $7500 tax credit, Tesla may intentionaly holding it to cancel the order from our side.

Reactions: Lady
OD 1/20
EDD :3/7-03/13 No win
I see many orders placed after me getting their cars !
Disappointing, Frustrating, unfair.
This is being very stressful experience .
I can’t wait this to be over !!!
Tesla doesn’t care for their customers!
This has been a learning lesson for me.
Never again
You are doing better than I am.. also I suspect this is where the concept of "dealers" can be useful at least in terms of keeping us distracted. In our case, we went into this purchase not needing a car right away so the delays for us are manageable.

Note: This has been a common complaint from the start of this thread apparently so you are definitely not alone. People who take delivery for the most part are very happy with their vehicles so there does appear to be light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: geekfam and Lady
OD 1/20
Never again
I don’t blame tesla for trying to fulfill the higher margin orders. After all, they need to maximize their profit margin as a business. Also it’s a game of supply and demand. Back in December, buyers can get cars quickly as demand was low(but price was high). After they lowered the price plus the irs tax credit, the demand surged, so they got the upper hand. We just gotta be more patient and wait it out, and eventually they will get to the lower margin orders. 🙃

I noticed that too. And I always wondered why.

Isn't Fremont closer than Austin? Why is Tesla shipping Fremont builds to east coast/mid-west but Austin builds to SoCal?

I am not talking about the configs that are made only in Fremont. The ones that are made in both Austin and Fremont.
Others I'm sure have already posted\mentioned this before but my guess is that since Austin factory can't deliver directly to TX customers, they opt to deliver to non-TX folks such as to CA.

TX also currently doesn't (I think?) produce MYP so MYLR and MYAWD orders would come from Austin while Fremont focuses on MYP, MS, MX, and when certain conditions occur (7 seat, white interior, etc) they produce MYLR.

CA factory doesn't (as of now?) produce MYAWD so they focus on MYP and MYLR and deliver to all states, issuing VINs first to those furthest from CA such as east coast, last to the closest customers since they can deliver quickly before quarter end.

If you want a real challenge, create a visualization of my ever moving EDD:

OD: 1/13
OEDD: Jan 18-Jan 30.

And then...

Jan 21: EDD Jan 21-Jan 30
Jan 22: EDD Jan 22-Jan 31
Jan 23: EDD Jan 23-Feb 1
Jan 24: EDD Jan 24-Feb 2
Jan 25: EDD Jan 25-Feb 3
Jan 26: EDD Jan 26-Feb 4
Jan 27: EDD Jan 27- Feb 5
Jan 28: EDD Jan 28-Feb 6
Jan 29: EDD Jan 29-Feb 7
Jan 30: EDD Jan 30-Feb 8
Jan 31: EDD Jan 31-Feb 9
Feb 01: EDD Feb 01-Feb 10
Feb 02: EDD Feb 02-Feb 11
Feb 03: EDD Feb 03-Feb 12
Feb 04: EDD Feb 04-Feb 13
Feb 05: EDD Feb 05-Feb 14
Feb 06: EDD Feb 06-Feb 15
Feb 07: EDD Feb 07-Feb 16
Feb 08: EDD Feb 08-Feb 17
Feb 09: EDD Feb 09-Feb 18
Feb 10: EDD Feb 10-Feb 19
Feb 11: EDD Feb 11-Feb 20
Feb 12: EDD March-May
Feb 13: EDD March-May
Feb 14: EDD March-May
Feb 15: EDD March-May
Feb 16: EDD March-May
Feb 17: EDD March-May
Feb 18: EDD Feb 20-Mar 5
Feb 19: EDD Feb 20-Mar 5
Feb 20: EDD Feb 20-Mar 5
Feb 21: EDD Feb 21-Mar 5
Feb 22: EDD Feb 22-Mar 5
Feb 23: EDD Feb 23-Mar 5
Feb 24: EDD Feb 23-Mar 5 (today, still no VIN)
Woww... this is like a daily tease and quite unique and unheard of :oops:. What time of the day does yours change everyday? Perhaps talk to your SA and see why this is happening for you?

Isn't Fremont closer than Austin? Why is Tesla shipping Fremont builds to east coast/mid-west but Austin builds to SoCal?

I am not talking about the configs that are made only in Fremont. The ones that are made in both Austin and Fremont.
I can see the logic.
Imagine you have a truckload at austin and truckload at Freemont and delivery delivery locations are San Diego and Seattle. Further imagine that you want to deliver ALL cars in shortest possible time.
Austin to Seattle is a long pull.
The solution is Freemont to San Diego and Freemont to Seattle.

As we come closer to quarter end more time optimization will happen. Delivery cost to Tesla remains the same as the freight has moved approximately same number miles, weight is the same, labor is less as you don't pay the driver (as many times) to take federal mandated break every 8 hours etc etc.

Much more goes into logistics, I suppose, than the distance.

TX also currently doesn't (I think?) produce MYP so MYLR and MYAWD orders would come from Austin while Fremont focuses on MYP, MS, MX, and when certain conditions occur (7 seat, white interior, etc) they produce MYLR.
All Tesla Model Y's are Dual motor AWD - Did I miss something?

edit1: Ah I think I see what you are saying..
edit2: I could not find any specifics as to what type of Model Y was being manufactured at each site. Do you have any info on this? (just curious!)

OD 1/20
Never again
Could you imagine waiting for months for an ICE vehicle due to shortages?

Relax

It could be a number of things, like others have mentioned, but you have to take into consideration the very thing you were discounting at the end.

Fremont builds many configurations along with many other models, while Austin doesn’t have as many.

Assuming all the factories build in batches and in a “round robin” (ie taking turns and only skipping if batch is too empty), when was the last time the LR 5 seater blue exterior, black interior with 20” wheels made in Fremont? When will the next time that batch gets made?

Just as likely, it could be that a batch is ready from Austin and it would be faster to ship to the next in line from Austin than it would be to wait for the next batch from Fremont.

Similarly, if the folks on the east coast want MSM with the tow package, but Austin hasn’t gotten to that batch yet while Fremont just finished a run, then those could be faster.

You can’t send what you have don't have yet.

All Tesla Model Y's are Dual motor AWD - Did I miss something?

edit: Ah I think I see what you are saying..
Yeah, that’s why I don’t call them MYAWD or just MYSR, but instead MYSRAWD. Because additionally, there was an MYSRRWD. It’s currently discontinued, but you never know if Tesla might bring it back.

Last edited:
What is the difference between registration and title fee?
That varies by state as well. I think AZ is $8 for title and sliding/declining vehicle license tax fees are based on MSRP, plus plate fees. Titles in Maine are $32 and can take 2-3 months to process. Maine has sales tax 5.5% , excise tax (sliding/declining 6 yr scale based on MSRP) and plate/registration fees. We're from Maine but winter in AZ so buying/registering the MYLR in AZ.

Reactions: Chey
Model Y White/Black LR, 5 seat, all standard no modifications
OD: 1/23/2023
Original EDD1: Jan-Mar 2023
New EDD2 (1/31): Feb 27 - Mar 31 2023
New EDD3 (2/23): Mar 5th - Mar 19th 2023
Delivery location: Dallas Metro

Thoughts in this group on when VIN assignment might happen?
What are others' experience with similar OD 1/23, 1/24, 2023.
Any Dallas area orders with same OD date?