Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That varies by state as well. I think AZ is $8 for title and sliding/declining vehicle license tax fees are based on MSRP, plus plate fees. Titles in Maine are $32 and can take 2-3 months to process. Maine has sales tax 5.5% , excise tax (sliding/declining 6 yr scale based on MSRP) and plate/registration fees. We're from Maine but winter in AZ so buying/registering the MYLR in AZ.
In NJ new EV purchases are not taxed which is kind of incredible given how high taxes are in general. The only extra charges on our order agreement are the destination and order fees. I wonder if there are any other charges but this seems to be it. We are buying the car outright so that might make a difference too..

Reactions: UwishUnew1
As for why Tesla is holding least price cars on hold and fulfilling orders with higher-priced cars first, it's possible that they are prioritizing orders based on factors such as delivery location, production capacity, or customer preferences. It's also possible that they are fulfilling orders based on profitability, which could be higher for higher-priced cars. However, without access to internal information, it's impossible to know for sure. I too ordered MYLR basic on 17 January and DD showing 03/5-03/31 from first day onwards. My friend got the same spec. after the price increase.. I'm going to cancel if fail $7500 tax credit, Tesla may intentionaly holding it to cancel the order from our side.
I don't know how orders are prioritized, but the demand went high after the initial 20% price drop. This site is Canadian, but it talks about inventory and demand in both Canada and the US. It was a quick and interesting read.

• Informative
Reactions: Lady and erktrek
edit2: I could not find any specifics as to what type of Model Y was being manufactured at each site. Do you have any info on this? (just curious!)
I think its mostly conjecture based on past VINs/orders delivered and occasional drone videos.

How many MYPs have had "PA" instead of "PF" in the VIN? Similarly for 7 seaters.

And even white interiors until recently. There was supposedly drone video of some MY with white interiors from Austin, when before Austin was only black interior.

Reactions: Lady
I'm not understanding the argument that higher margin orders are prioritized. Eventually they have to be filled. So why over perform one quarter only to under perform another? That doesn't make much sense to me. Occam's razor would explain all nuances around order dates to be about logistics, logistics, logistics.
Simple... the people making those claims are upset as to why they haven't received their orders when others have.

Of course, some of them, received direct proof that isn't the case. I saw mention from such a person that their order appeared to move quicker after switch from 20" to 19" wheels, which clearly contradicts their profit margin argument.

Interesting that it explicitly said $7500 going til end of March. I thought that was still ambiguously ‘March’ everywhere official. Wonder if this was just ignorance or if that is real.

Probably ignorance.

Reactions: WyoDude
I'm not understanding the argument that higher margin orders are prioritized. Eventually they have to be filled. So why over perform one quarter only to under perform another? That doesn't make much sense to me. Occam's razor would explain all nuances around order dates to be about logistics, logistics, logistics.
I look at it like this: If thousands of people have their orders locked in at the lower pricing points, and I can't fulfill ALL of them by the time the tax credit changes in March, might as well clear out as many as I can with the higher profit margins, knowing that many of the lower-priced customers may cancel after the credits change. Another win-win for Tesla is that another large portion of customers will look at the (current) higher prices and compare them to the $3750 incentive that they "lost", and decide to keep the order considering it to be a wash. This could be why Tesla is refusing to assign VINs to people that had ordered the exact same car (at a lower price).

Just my 100% hypothetical guess.

I look at it like this: If thousands of people have their orders locked in at the lower pricing points, and I can't fulfill ALL of them by the time the tax credit changes in March, might as well clear out as many as I can with the higher profit margins, knowing that many of the lower-priced customers may cancel after the credits change. Another win-win for Tesla is that another large portion of customers will look at the (current) higher prices and compare them to the $3750 incentive that they "lost", and decide to keep the order considering it to be a wash. This could be why Tesla is refusing to assign VINs to people that had ordered the exact same car (at a lower price).

In that case, you could argue the opposite is true too.

A person with a locked in MYP is going to be cheaper than MYLR if prices keep going up.

It's also just as likely, that folks that are willing to spend more to begin with, might not be as vested in the tax incentive, so they could also keep it afterwards. And that means that skipping the "lower profit" ones hurts, rather than helps. If the more expensive one is willing to wait and stay while you make the "cheaper" one, then you get sale of both. Verses you skip the cheaper one, get the sale of the expensive one and then lose the cheaper one later.

From the moment I put my original MYLR order in, I knew that I was pretty much past the Illinois incentive timing (only up to end of January) and that the range given on the website of Jan-Mar meant I could also lose the federal incentive. So, for me, I decided that I would get the MY because of the price drop and let the incentive be a bonus if I got it. Easier for me to accept any delays.

As you've said, its a guess. So are my comments. The reality is, we only see a small sample based on people we know and some forums like this. For all we know, there could be no such trend as prioritizing higher profit margin cars when looking at the actual delivery numbers.

Reactions: GigaMike
All Tesla Model Y's are Dual motor AWD - Did I miss something?

edit1: Ah I think I see what you are saying..
edit2: I could not find any specifics as to what type of Model Y was being manufactured at each site. Do you have any info on this? (just curious!)
I'm just used to referring to what waitingfortesla.com uses for trim, but like another person mentioned on a newer reply to you that it's technically a standard range AWD (MYSRAWD) and there once upon a time was the standard range RWD (MYSRRWD).

Tesla doesn't provide a breakdown by trim, only by model. It's just what people have observed of what is coming out of Austin versus Fremont, not from an official press release from Tesla.

By model (not trim) from Tesla:

1677356456857.png

Trim reference from waitingfortesla.com:

1677356816637.png

• Informative
Reactions: Lady and erktrek
Could you imagine waiting for months for an ICE vehicle due to shortages?

Relax
Yep. A few weeks ago, my brother finally took delivery of a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid that he ordered nine months ago. Unless you get on several waiting lists and luck out after a bunch of people give up, you could be waiting years for a RAV4 Prime.

Tesla's goal is to produce on 1.8 to 2 million vehicles this year which annualized growth of 50%. Tesla needs demand to match production and wouldn't jeopardize this critical business objective with short-term profit taking. Losing a sale to collect a deposit is hardly a win for Tesla. Production economies of scale, logistics, and just-in-time manufacturing impacted by supply chain constraints (19" vs 20" wheels?) that are the primary factors on production/delivery times.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just my opinion on this matter. However, I do hope my turn comes up soon. 😀

OD 1/20
EDD :3/7-03/13 No win
I see many orders placed after me getting their cars !
Disappointing, Frustrating, unfair.
This is being very stressful experience .
I can’t wait this to be over !!!
Tesla doesn’t care for their customers!
This has been a learning lesson for me.
Never again
Be happy. March 1st investor day is coming up and you may get some new tech in your car by waiting or see something else you want to buy this year with a refresh. Just chill and enjoy.

That varies by state as well. I think AZ is $8 for title and sliding/declining vehicle license tax fees are based on MSRP, plus plate fees. Titles in Maine are $32 and can take 2-3 months to process. Maine has sales tax 5.5% , excise tax (sliding/declining 6 yr scale based on MSRP) and plate/registration fees. We're from Maine but winter in AZ so buying/registering the MYLR in AZ.
Thank you for helping me to understand. I am in Ohio and my sales tax 7.5% I see only title fee do I have to pay seperate registration fee as well.. can I also transfer my existing car plates to MYLR

If you want a real challenge, create a visualization of my ever moving EDD:

OD: 1/13
OEDD: Jan 18-Jan 30.

And then...

Jan 21: EDD Jan 21-Jan 30
Jan 22: EDD Jan 22-Jan 31
Jan 23: EDD Jan 23-Feb 1
Jan 24: EDD Jan 24-Feb 2
Jan 25: EDD Jan 25-Feb 3
Jan 26: EDD Jan 26-Feb 4
Jan 27: EDD Jan 27- Feb 5
Jan 28: EDD Jan 28-Feb 6
Jan 29: EDD Jan 29-Feb 7
Jan 30: EDD Jan 30-Feb 8
Jan 31: EDD Jan 31-Feb 9
Feb 01: EDD Feb 01-Feb 10
Feb 02: EDD Feb 02-Feb 11
Feb 03: EDD Feb 03-Feb 12
Feb 04: EDD Feb 04-Feb 13
Feb 05: EDD Feb 05-Feb 14
Feb 06: EDD Feb 06-Feb 15
Feb 07: EDD Feb 07-Feb 16
Feb 08: EDD Feb 08-Feb 17
Feb 09: EDD Feb 09-Feb 18
Feb 10: EDD Feb 10-Feb 19
Feb 11: EDD Feb 11-Feb 20
Feb 12: EDD March-May
Feb 13: EDD March-May
Feb 14: EDD March-May
Feb 15: EDD March-May
Feb 16: EDD March-May
Feb 17: EDD March-May
Feb 18: EDD Feb 20-Mar 5
Feb 19: EDD Feb 20-Mar 5
Feb 20: EDD Feb 20-Mar 5
Feb 21: EDD Feb 21-Mar 5
Feb 22: EDD Feb 22-Mar 5
Feb 23: EDD Feb 23-Mar 5
Feb 24: EDD Feb 23-Mar 5 (today, still no VIN)
I would suggest your build or something like that, but it's a regular white and black build. I'd definitely be texting the 510# asking why your EDD keeps getting pushed.

Reactions: erktrek
Be happy. March 1st investor day is coming up and you may get some new tech in your car by waiting or see something else you want to buy this year with a refresh. Just chill and enjoy.
No - that's not how it will work.

What will happen is that on February 28, Tesla will tell me that my Model Y is scheduled for delivery on March 3 and I'll make payment. On March 1, Musk will announce that all Teslas starting that day will have HW4. On March 2, the tax credit will end and I'll be stuck paying $7,500 more for a vehicle with obsolete hardware. I'll take delivery of my overpriced, obsolete vehicle on March 3 only to discover it needs to be repainted. When I get home with it, I'll find out that the Mobile Connector I received last month doesn't work and I'll have no way to charge the vehicle. Tesla will be out of stock on replacements, so the vehicle will sit idle for weeks during which time the battery will die and need to be towed back to the service center. In the meantime, Tesla won't get the registration paperwork to me in time and I'll be stuck paying an additional $300 penalty for late registration and that will be after I get pulled over and ticketed for no registration. :D