Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My opinion is that if the $7,500 tax credit is make or break in terms of affording the car, then its a bad decision to purchase the car.

For me, I'll definitely continue to wait even without a credit because I'm very excited to drive this car and made a responsible financial decision.
Personal budgets should be responsible decisions. $7,500 is a lot of money for myself. I still intend to buy the car for the record. My kids can go to 2 meals a day and I will have my wife pick up a third job :D

Personal budgets should be responsible decisions. $7,500 is a lot of money for myself. I still intend to buy the car for the record. My kids can go to 2 meals a day and I will have my wife pick up a third job :D
Depending on something that can change all too easily is a bit much for me.

When I factored in the costs and whatever, even over time (ie gas "savings"), I left out the rebate. If the number(s) I came up with were acceptable, I would go for it.

And I did.

The rebate became a bonus. If I get it, great. If not, then that's fine too.

I got a new car with more toys and gadgets to play with.. It will cost less in time and eventually, in money too. Heck, just the gas savings will make up for the tax rebate in 2 to 3 years. Not to mention, going back to time, I no longer have to visit the gas station every 3 or 4 days.

Last edited:
An SA can come into the picture at any time. One SA at the SC even said to me it would’ve been more informative if I had spoken to them to make the order as they could talk me through the rest of the steps and timing. But since I did it on my own (like many others), I’m basically at the whims of “whatever, whoever, whenever” that processes the orders.
Yeah we ordered through the SA at the showroom and we got pushed to mid Apr/May after having the EDD go down to a 2 week window at the end of March (20-31) so that doesn't quite hold true either unfortunately. To your point though - we had everything filled out properly at least.

Yeah we ordered through the SA at the showroom and we got pushed to mid Apr/May after having the EDD go down to a 2 week window at the end of March (20-31) so that doesn't quite hold true either unfortunately. To your point though - we had everything filled out properly at least.
I meant that, the SA told me, if I did the OD with an SA, they would've told me to hold off on doing the trade-in and financing early and to wait until later.

Not that it would effect EDD or any such.

• Helpful
Reactions: erktrek
You’re right, in that there’s no transparency.

But it’s exactly because of that, none of us know what or why they do things that you think is delaying orders or prioritizing others.

People need to stop making assumptions.

Did my order get prioritized before someone else, because I bought an
MYP? Some would like to think so, but haven’t these folks ever thought… maybe the order was someone else’s, with a much earlier OD, that was cancelled… or worse, rejected? I saw a “panel” alignment issue with the hatch and bumper. There are a couple of weird gaps with the front bumper trim. Maybe there was a previous person that rejected it. But, I’m fine with it.

I mean, I’ve seen orders with selected paint colors and tow, etc on MYP. Meaning they’d be considered “higher margin,” right? They’re still waiting. Hell, there’s a guy across town from me also still waiting for almost the same order as mine (OD, trim, color, everything).

I’ve also seen plenty of brand new “basic” MYLRs (white, 19” wheels, etc) with temp plates rolling around here too. Hell, I had to wait almost half an hour after my delivery appointment time, because of “plain ‘ol” MYLR ahead of me was taking their time.

So again, we just don’t know. Making claims they’re purposely doing this or that is rather pointless because of it.

An SA can come into the picture at any time. One SA at the SC even said to me it would’ve been more informative if I had spoken to them to make the order as they could talk me through the rest of the steps and timing. But since I did it on my own (like many others), I’m basically at the whims of “whatever, whoever, whenever” that processes the orders.
I don't see anything unfair about how Tesla delivers cars. Seems to me that Bay Area orders take longer to deliver, which could be due to easier end-of-quarter deliveries. It may be slightly quicker to get Austin cars. It could be certain configurations have earlier dates, because of the batching, or even because of Tesla's priorities. Or maybe someone gets a rejected car. All understandable, even if not everyone likes it.

I will be more bothered if someone in my location ordered the same configuration later than me, and gets it earlier than me. But I have not seen it happen.

The cars that came into Denver inventory were standard range AWD. LR is also AWD but with longer range. usually when people mention AWD on the forum, they mean standard range AWD because Tesla calls the standard range ones AWD. So what I am asking is basically if its ling range or standard range :)
It’s Standard Range.
Not sure if this is good news or bad news >_>
Most “hardcore” Tesla Fans seem to idolize the 4680 over the 2170 pack 🤷🏼‍♀️

Agree. After IRS raised MY limit to 80k, earlier cheaper orders’ EDDs got pushed out, because people could place more expensive orders, and this actually became a big disadvantage to the earlier cheaper orders.

Tesla is holding a good portion of the cheaper orders hostage, and they want a piece of our $7500 tax credit. If you are willing to share the tax credit(by upgrading your car), then they will give it to you earlier.

My hope right now is that with end of quarter push, they would release more preorders. There’s nothing we can do, but just wait patiently.
That's not necessarily true. I ordered a MYLR 5 seat after price cuts, but before IRS raised the limit. It took 5 weeks from order to delivery.

Reactions: Goobers and erktrek
My opinion is that if the $7,500 tax credit is make or break in terms of affording the car, then its a bad decision to purchase the car.

For me, I'll definitely continue to wait even without a credit because I'm very excited to drive this car and made a responsible financial decision.
Last week, someone on Facebook was asking people if they would cancel their Model Y order if they couldn't get the $7,500 tax credit. After I said that I would, someone else accused me of being $7,500 away from financial ruin.

I smiled, then excused their criticism since they knew nothing about my financial situation and explained that I owned my home and automobiles outright and had zero debt. That is possible because of self-imposed limitations like choosing to pay $45,490 instead of $52,990 for a Model Y. I could pay full price for a Model X, but I choose not to - I can't bring myself to pay as much for a depreciating asset as I did for a new home 11 years ago.

Let's be honest, though - it's nearly impossible to justify any Tesla as a "responsible financial decision". The most responsible financial decision would be to take public transportation. If that's not available in your area, then buying a used Prius would be about the the most responsible solution for personal transportation. :) If you're going to buy an EV, about the best financial decision would be a new Chevrolet Bolt which can be had for less than $20K after the tax credit right now or a used Nissan Leaf, but of course, those aren't as unnecessarily nice or exciting as a Tesla. :)

Last edited:
I don't see anything unfair about how Tesla delivers cars. Seems to me that Bay Area orders take longer to deliver, which could be due to easier end-of-quarter deliveries. It may be slightly quicker to get Austin cars. It could be certain configurations have earlier dates, because of the batching, or even because of Tesla's priorities. Or maybe someone gets a rejected car. All understandable, even if not everyone likes it.

I will be more bothered if someone in my location ordered the same configuration later than me, and gets it earlier than me. But I have not seen it happen.
There is additional anxiety thanks to whether or not the tax credits will be available for current orders and I think that's what's doing it.

I don't think its unfair either. But unfortunately, there are some that are adamant about claiming Tesla is out to screw them or something.

Last week, someone on Facebook was asking people if they would cancel their Model Y order if they couldn't get the $7,500 tax credit. After I said that I would, someone else accused me of being $7,500 away from financial ruin.

I smiled, then excused their criticism since they knew nothing about my financial situation and explained that I owned my home and automobiles outright and had zero debt. That is possible because of self-imposed limitations like choosing to $45,490 instead of $52,990 for a Model Y. I could pay full price for a Model X, but I choose not to - I can't bring myself to pay as much for a depreciating asset as I did for a new home 11 years ago.

Let's be honest, though - it's nearly impossible to justify any Tesla as a "responsible financial decision". The most responsible financial decision would be to take public transportation. If that's not available in your area, then buying a used Prius would be about the the most responsible solution for personal transportation. :) If you're going to buy an EV, about the best financial decision would be a new Chevrolet Bolt which can be had for less than $20K after the tax credit right now or a used Nissan Leaf, but of course, those aren't as unnecessarily nice or exciting as a Tesla. :)
This! The bolt 1LT is listed at 259 miles of range (EPA) and starts at $27,495. Not a bad deal it seems... You could even argue for those who don't qualify for the tax credit due to exceeding the max income it might be an even BETTER deal than Tesla. Of course the Chevy is smaller, not as fast, missing a heat pump and can't do FOTAs.

Reactions: zroger73
MYLR - Midnight Silver Metallic / Black Interior - 5 Seater - 19in

OD: 1/16
EDD1: 2/17-2/26
EDD2: Apr-Jun
EDD3: 2/24-3/5
EDD4: 2/25-3/6
EDD4 (Today): 2/26-3/7

Still no VIN. I live 10 minutes from Fremont, CA. Worried because my EDD keeps getting pushed back by 1 day—I wanted to take delivery before March to qualify for the EV tax credit :(

I smiled, then excused their criticism since they knew nothing about my financial situation and explained that I owned my home and automobiles outright and had zero debt. That is possible because of self-imposed limitations like choosing to $45,490 instead of $52,990 for a Model Y. I could pay full price for a Model X, but I choose not to - I can't bring myself to pay as much for a depreciating asset as I did for a new home 11 years ago.

Thanks I appreciate this perspective. I also think there are more factors.
I think "responsible" In regards to your own means. A tesla purchase can be more responsible than choosing public transportation for a number of reasons, safety and reliability for your family, building the EV industry, boosting economy, etc. A used EV for $20k could last a third of the life of your $60k new Tesla. My opinion remains the same about receiving a portion of the tax credit and if that should contribute to canceling an order. Canceled orders provide more supply for others that truely want these cars. However this is a contributer to one of the biggest issues Tesla customers experience which is irregular order processing and delivery reliability. If the price increasing by 10% is going to be a deal breaker and there is a chance of that happening then perhaps the market and other customers should be respected.

Reactions: slyderz3