Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that there are occasional vehicles in the inventory with 20" wheels, what are a buyer's options if 19" is truly preferred. Can one purchase the 20" version (paying the extra $2K), and negotiate some type of a deal with either Tesla or another Tesla owner to swap the 20" wheels for 19" plus some cash to offset at least part of the $2K cost?
I think the best bet is to look for swap

For a company that claims to be a "data company" instead of just an automobile manufacturer, they are data driven with real time info on all the areas they work. They purposely choose to hide data from a customer who paid an order fee and is willing to pay a significant amount of money to buy their car. They can easily make the data available to paid customers.
Yes, they definitely “can.”

But they aren’t obligated to do so.

Nor would it be in their best interests… cause I’m quite certain they’ll be a shitload of people bitching about that too, which will defeat the any purpose in providing it.

Reactions: WyoDude and sdq_11
Reason for some hope on the tax credit for Teslas after the IRS Guidance is released (Still scheduled for March 2023 so far.).
Tesla seems well positioned to meet at least one half of the requirements for critical minerals and battery components. This is because Tesla invested in development and production in California and Texas to produce its most recent battery, the 4680-type, for the made-in-Texas Model Y. Those models should at least qualify for $3,750 of the credit. This article also mentions battery materials recycled in the US qualify and Tesla is sourcing materials in the US and Canada as well so maybe there is some hope for the full $7500 credit.
Source:

Reactions: Lady
There seem to be a number of posts with the assumption (or concern?) that the tax credit rules will be changed on March 1, or in early March.
I might have missed this among the various messages...is there anything new/recent that indicates the gov't will resolve this by then, other than the January messaging that it will be cleared up in March?
With the debt crisis looming and the usual myriad of issues, I wouldn't be surprised if the Treasury Dept. is still working on this in April or May.

Reason for some hope on the tax credit for Teslas after the IRS Guidance is released (Still scheduled for March 2023 so far.).
Tesla seems well positioned to meet at least one half of the requirements for critical minerals and battery components. This is because Tesla invested in development and production in California and Texas to produce its most recent battery, the 4680-type, for the made-in-Texas Model Y. Those models should at least qualify for $3,750 of the credit. This article also mentions battery materials recycled in the US qualify and Tesla is sourcing materials in the US and Canada as well so maybe there is some hope for the full $7500 credit.
Source:
Do you know about the production and sourcing for the NCA batteries that are installed in the MYLR and MYP?

Yes, they definitely “can.”

But they aren’t obligated to do so.

Nor would it be in their best interests… cause I’m quite certain they’ll be a shitload of people bitching about that too, which will defeat the any purpose in providing it.
I was just replying to your point below.

"I don't think its unfair either. But unfortunately, there are some that are adamant about claiming Tesla is out to screw them or something."

There is nothing fair when you prioritize higher-priced orders instead of doing it in the order in which it was received or may be mention that we will do it whatever way we feel. And of coz Tesla is screwing the customer by taking my order fee and won't refund it if they won't meet the timeline offered or committed. In my case specifically, I chatted with a representative and asked the delivery timeline before I placed the order. He/she is a representative of the company while they communicate with us.

Reactions: James2023y
There seem to be a number of posts with the assumption (or concern?) that the tax credit rules will be changed on March 1, or in early March.
I might have missed this among the various messages...is there anything new/recent that indicates the gov't will resolve this by then, other than the January messaging that it will be cleared up in March?
With the debt crisis looming and the usual myriad of issues, I wouldn't be surprised if the Treasury Dept. is still working on this in April or May.
Since January, people are assuming the tax credit may be changed/reduced in March (whether March 1 or during March) due to the specific wording on the Tesla website. There hasn't really been anything new announced except for IRS upping the limit for MY to qualify from $55k to $80k about a month ago. Regarding the sourcing requirements, a few people have posted on here that the MY should still qualify for the full $7500 even with those requirements (not from any official sources though).

Also not super relevant I think but Tesla Investor Day is March 1st at 1PM PST (4PM EST) and it is being live streamed.

I wonder why it’s so hard for us to figure out the logistics around delivery and Tesla can’t keep everyone updated…

Scrolls through TMC

Person A: I’m changing the color on my order
Person B: I’m changing the rims on my order
Person C: I’m changing from MYLR to MYP
Person D: I placed three orders and now I’m canceling two of them
Person E: I’m canceling to wait for HW6
Person F: I’m canceling because I don’t like Elon
Person G: I changed my order to get one out of inventory
Person H: I’m canceling because Tesla is unfair
Person I: Got delivery today
Person J: I’m adding 7 seats to my order
Person K: I’m changing to a X
Person L: I’m adding a tow hitch to my order
Person M: I’m changing my color and rims
Person N: I rejected delivery because when I measured every square inch with my caliper, the trunk was off by a 1mm
Person O: I rejected because I wanna wait for better cameras
Person P: I rejected because I read this forum and got scared
Person Q: WHY CAN’T TESLA GIVE ME AN EXACT DATE OF WHEN MY CAR WILL SHOW UP??? THEY ARE UNFAIR AND ONLY PRIORITIZING [insert type] BECAUSE [insert reason]. PERSON I GOT THEIRS BEFORE ME. I’M GONNA CHANGE [insert feature] SO I CAN GET MINE SOONER….

This is a perfect example of higher price got prioritized first. There are still a few naive people wanting to believe it’s a logistics or supply chain constraint issues, LOL
How about the many examples of higher price NOT getting prioritized?

Are the 7 seaters delivered before 5 -seaters? Are red cars delivered before white? Are white interiors delivered before black?

You have a theory, and you only see data that support your theory.

Reactions: sdq_11 and WyoDude
Given that there are occasional vehicles in the inventory with 20" wheels, what are a buyer's options if 19" is truly preferred. Can one purchase the 20" version (paying the extra $2K), and negotiate some type of a deal with either Tesla or another Tesla owner to swap the 20" wheels for 19" plus some cash to offset at least part of the $2K cost?
Tesla will not swap wheels for you.

I was interested in buying the MYP, and I asked Tesla if they would put 19 inch wheels on it. The answer is no. I was not asking for a price reduction.

Buying another set of 19 inch wheels and tires from Tesla is prohibitively expensive. You can swap them with people with 19 inch wheels, but you won't get the $2K back. Any tire shop can swap tires for you.

This is a perfect example of higher price got prioritized first. There are still a few naive people wanting to believe it’s a logistics or supply chain constraint issues, LOL
Actually @James2023y it's naive or perhaps misguided to adamantly defend some unsubstantiated theory based upon a few scattered occurances. I would rather believe in the fact that there have been thousands of MYs delivered in all types of configurations this year across the US and Canada.

Reactions: monkft and amo2u
Better to pickup the car on February 28 or Mar 1? I scheduled it to March 1 but now with all the tax credit talk, is it better to schedule it for February 28? My car might not get temporary permits though if I change this late
The guidance on when this rule change is implemented is on the day after the announcement of the rules, even if they announce on 3/1, you SHOULD be safe.

Actually @James2023y it's naive or perhaps misguided to adamantly defend some unsubstantiated theory based upon a few scattered occurances. I would rather believe in the fact that there have been thousands of MYs delivered in all types of configurations this year across the US and Canada.
I have no doubt that thousands of MYs are being delivered. But how do you explain people upgrading their rims and then get a VIN (often within 24 hours), but have a later order date than most?

Got a text today saying that my vehicle is still in transit and won’t arrive till the 28th and that I need to reschedule for that date. 😵‍💫😐

And I checked my app and they automatically changed it to 2/28 with the same time…..well, now I have to change meetings around. Maybe the storm slowed it down?

Odd, when my delivery pick up options started 3 days prior.
When was your car built? mine was built on 2/19 wondering if its on the same train down?

What is the purpose of all these arguments trying to justify things like "fairness" of VIN assignments or Tesla delivery?

We've known from the very beginning that OD is NOT the only thing Tesla considers for the the entire process. You could place a "Custom Order" on 1/13 but then see someone on 1/14 choose a car from existing inventory and get it before you do even though your OD was first.

- Would Tesla having a publicly available tracking system be helpful to it's customers? Yes but they currently don't and probably won't want to do that
-
How come my Tesla isn't coming within my EDD? It's called an Estimated Delivery Date for a reason - it's just an estimate so it doesn't mean it's 100% accurate or even close to that
-
Why isn't VIN assignment and being able to finally get a Tesla not super consistent? This type of stuff is gonna be decided by a mix of Tesla's algorithms and manual changes performed by SAs so unless you know how the entire process inside-out, it's impossible to figure out everything to the exact specifics
- Why can't Tesla refund my order fee if they can't promise on their deliverables? I think Tesla mentions multiple times it's a nonrefundable order fee so not sure what else to say there. You could always talk to Tesla to try getting your money back if Tesla is feeling generous
- Why doesn't Tesla focus on trying to deliver all their promised MYs and M3s to it's customers? Do they not care about their customers? Tesla is working on so many different things (Cybertruck, Semi truck, HW 4.0, Roadster, Model 2, etc in addition to producing all the different types of M3s/MYs and trying to sell existing Xs and Ys) so honestly who knows. They're not going to just stop their future planning to ensure every single person gets their car within the first quarter.
-
Why is ordering a Tesla feel unfair? I'm not sure what people posting on these forums could even do if it feels unfair for another person. I've seen people on here trying to help others out but it's not like someone can go into the system and just get your Tesla for you. Tesla is the one deciding/creating this whole ordering and delivery process so you just play the game and hope you get a VIN/Tesla (and yes this is going to include people modifying their current orders to try matching inventory to get a VIN assigned to them).

Not trying to be snarky or disrespectful but the entire Tesla process is just the phrase "it is what it is".

Last edited: