Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that IS encouraging!!!!!
Ordered 1/16
Vin assign 2/18
Est del 3/5-3/11
Blue/Black
20 inch wheels
Took Delivery today 3/6.
Picked up today in Mt Kisco.Vehicle was in perfect condition. Paint,gaps etc… I was in car business and they were very organized, took time to explain the vehicle functions. Jay was great! Happy customer! Last car Etron.

MYLR W/B/19 no options.
OD - 01/23
EDD1 – March 17-March 31
EDD2 - March 13-March 31
First text March 5 re: trade-in (none)
First call to SA was about that text: – said to expect VIN o/a March 17, delivery o/a March 24.

Location – SoCal. Austin build.

First post, been stalking for a while. Appreciate everyone sharing their experience. Followed posts about delays, changing wheels, etc. Mine is right on schedule, with no changes to tires, paint, no checking of inventory, no calling/texting SA, etc. Just patiently waiting. At a production rate of 200,000 cars per month world-wide, there are going to be some who have glitches, and those glitches can get amplified in forums like this. I’m frankly amazed how well they are handling the huge increase in demand.

We ordered a MS back in Oct 2020, during the last price cut. Almost exactly the same 2 month delivery. Many manufacturers have backlogs for highly desirable cars.
Same config, same OD (although later in the evening) and same location (SoCal)!

I hope the SA's prediction comes true and we get the cars in a few weeks.

And welcome to the forum. I am kind of new here too.

I think in late 2021 when Tesla changed from 2021 to 2022 model year they started using 7SA instead of 5YJ for all Model Y. This was before Austin was producing cars. Now both Fremont and Austin have 7SA at the start of the VIN. Only that 11th digit of F or A tells us what factory. I think some of those VIN decoders are out of date as they are referencing when Austin wasn't producing yet so all MY were out of Fremont.
@arbitrage000 If all MYLR VINs now start with 7SA irrespective of the factory location, what about some of the folks here who've received PA083*** VINs for MYLR?

@arbitrage000 If all MYLR VINs now start with 7SA irrespective of the factory location, what about some of the folks here who've received PA083*** VINs for MYLR?
PA or PF are the 10th and 11th characters in the VIN. Most people leave off the first 9 characters because those are mostly the same for everyone in the model Y threads. They encode manufacturer, model, fuel type, # doors, etc. starting with the 10th character: P= 2023 (confirms these are all newly built cars) and A= Austin or F= Freemont (or for fantastic as I used to say in school 🤣), the next 3 show how many thousands have been made at that factory this year. Can sometimes help to know if car 83,000 is out for delivery recently. That way if mine is 83,200, my car has also probably been built and in transport vs. if I have vin 97,000 it may not even be built yet. Not an exact science but just some extra info if you want to share it. If you say your VIN is 7SA, you are letting us all know your car is manufactured by Tesla. Still awesome to share that you got your VIN though.

PA or PF are the 10th and 11th characters in the VIN. Most people leave off the first 9 characters because those are mostly the same for everyone in the model Y threads. They encode manufacturer, model, fuel type, # doors, etc. starting with the 10th character: P= 2023 (confirms these are all newly built cars) and A= Austin or F= Freemont (or for fantastic as I used to say in school 🤣), the next 3 show how many thousands have been made at that factory this year. Can sometimes help to know if car 83,000 is out for delivery recently. That way if mine is 83,200, my car has also probably been built and in transport vs. if I have vin 97,000 it may not even be built yet. Not an exact science but just some extra info if you want to share it. If you say your VIN is 7SA, you are letting us all know your car is manufactured by Tesla. Still awesome to share that you got your VIN though.
One small clarification...the number 83,000 is number of MY out of Austin ever...not just this year. Although we don't know for sure if there are gaps in the VIN sequences so could be less.
I'm not sure if the Fremont #s were reset when the VINs changed from 5YJ to 7SA or if the end numbers just kept increasing?

I bet you if you added one of the following to your order:
-20 inch Wheels
- Performance
- 7 seater

- EAP
-FSD

You will get a VIN within days. :-D
7 seater is a different ball game, this takes more time to build as it only comes from Fremont and there are people who ordered in mid Jan who are still waiting for their vehicle. Adding 20” inch would be best bet but for the East coasters don’t think that may do much especially since there’s only 3 weeks left on this quarter.

MYLR White/ Black 19"
OD : 1/21
EDD 1: 3/12 - 3/31
EDD2: 3/7 - 3/31
Still no VIN ( as today 3/6) ????
I have the same configuration with a slightly earlier OD and my EDD was pushed out yesterday to Q2. Before the latest EDD adjustment, a local SA told me to expect the VIN to be assigned within the EDD window and that I would get request to schedule delivery shortly afterwards. I've read here that the time between VIN assignment and delivery date varies (based upon location/distance from Fremont/Austin factories?).

I would prepare myself for the possibility that your EDD is also pushed out into Q2. It's plausible that Tesla is banking on the vast majority of early orders with a base price of $52,990 will keep their orders since the current price is now $2k higher.

I hope I am wrong and Tesla has chosen to error on the conservative side with the recent EDD bumps and that us early buyers get our vehicles delivered sooner.

If you worry to miss the FTC $7500, try to change to 20" wheel. Possible after 3/31/23 the FTC is reduced by half or $3500 since the battery might not be qualified. Spend $2K now but you can have full FTC.

Last edited:
Reactions: JL-SD
Thanks for sharing this link! I read through the document and I pulled an excerpt from the last paragraph which says below..
“…Those requirements and certification obligations by qualified manufacturers take effect only after Treasury and the IRS issue proposed guidance, and Treasury and the IRS will expressly identify when the proposed guidance is issued. Treasury and the IRS often allow taxpayers to rely on proposed guidance during the period between its issuance and the issuance of final rules and anticipate addressing the extent of reliance in the proposed guidance…”

During the the period between its issuance and the issuance of final rules..does it mean we may have some wiggle room until the issued guidance is finalized?

If you worry to miss the FTC $7500, try to change to 20" wheel.
I feel like that train has left the station. I've been monitoring waitingfortesla.com on a frequent basis. Two or three weeks ago almost all of MYs that were being dropped into inventory had 20s. Lately, I've noticed a great deal more 19s.

I think changing wheel option may get you an earlier date based upon what vehicles are being planned for one's delivery location. (I tried switching for my configuration for one day and switched back as I decided it's too late to really make a difference. This waffling probably hurt my place in the queue:confused:. )

Reactions: Mainuh