Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
East Cost Orders getting slammed with delays pusing EDD into Apr-May. Totally unfair. Unable to understand the logic behind it.
Tesla operates by quarters since that is when earnings calls and such happen for Tesla's shareholders. They prioritize delivering to locations far away at beginning of quarter. Towards end of quarter, they prioritize delivering to locations they know they can make it to. There are 4 quarters in the year so that is how it works.

Therefore if you haven't gotten your VIN or car as the end of quarter is approaching, you can expect your EDD to be pushed back months.

Tesla does not solely go by OD and EDDs are almost meaningless as they always change. Their goal is to ensure they can make a sale to any person so the car that is promised to you isn't technically "your car" until it's in your hands.

Last edited:
Just to be fair, Tesla never promised any delivery date. The E in EDD stands for Estimated.

Good luck buying that Highlander. Don't buy the extended warranty! :)
Oh geez, thanks... I never knew what that "E" stood for! There's always a troll, regardless what you post. When you're hawking a time sensative $7500 tax incentive and blasting it out there with your EDD projections, you're setting an expectation. But do tell me Mr ED, how so many on here have seen the same configuration they ordered already received by people who ordered later than we did who are already driving around in their new Teslas? And what apocalyptic event happened in the past 5 days (when they shortened my "EDD" by 5 days to as early as this friday), only to yank that rug out a mere 5 days later and push it out another 6 weeks? These orders go in on computers every day... they know exactly how many of each color and option and have known it since my order was placed on 1/26. Tesla doesn't give a rat's behind if any of us get the $7500 tax incentive and the more that cancel at the once lower prices, the more profit they make.

I get that it's a cult, and anything that could be conceived as challenging someone else's decision to be a member is a threat that needs to be insulted and immediately dismissed. I will likely own a Tesla down the road, but given that I'll be 3000 miles away by the time it would have arrived, it's not working for me, so I loose my place in line, my low price "lock in" as well as $7500 tax incentive. So with today's prices (and only likely to go up) I'm loosing close to $10K if I want one down the road. Yippe-kuy-yea!

I guess i'm graduating from this forum. I picked up my baby today and it was a smooth process. I got to the appointment 30 minutes early and let me take delivery earlier than scheduled. Did a thorough inspection only found one scratch on the front fender and the slight misalignment of the brake light on passenger side. Service ticket is already submitted for thursday . The stereo system is on a different level omg so good and the ride quality was very good. The wait and stress and frustration was totally worth it. I am in love. Hang in there everybody your day is coming.

Attachments

• IMG_3098.jpeg
    IMG_3098.jpeg
    750.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0990.jpeg
    IMG_0990.jpeg
    959.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3104.jpeg
    IMG_3104.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 85
Oh geez, thanks... I never knew what that "E" stood for! There's always a troll, regardless what you post. When you're hawking a time sensative $7500 tax incentive and blasting it out there with your EDD projections, you're setting an expectation. But do tell me Mr ED, how so many on here have seen the same configuration they ordered already received by people who ordered later than we did who are already driving around in their new Teslas? And what apocalyptic event happened in the past 5 days (when they shortened my "EDD" by 5 days to as early as this friday), only to yank that rug out a mere 5 days later and push it out another 6 weeks? These orders go in on computers every day... they know exactly how many of each color and option and have known it since my order was placed on 1/26. Tesla doesn't give a rat's behind if any of us get the $7500 tax incentive and the more that cancel at the once lower prices, the more profit they make.

I get that it's a cult, and anything that could be conceived as challenging someone else's decision to be a member is a threat that needs to be insulted and immediately dismissed. I will likely own a Tesla down the road, but given that I'll be 3000 miles away by the time it would have arrived, it's not working for me, so I loose my place in line, my low price "lock in" as well as $7500 tax incentive. So with today's prices (and only likely to go up) I'm loosing close to $10K if I want one down the road. Yippe-kuy-yea!
Have you talked to a SA about moving your delivery location to Maine? No one knows about the EV credit yet, but we do know that at least half of it will remain in place. Perhaps all of it. I get you're frustration; I share it. But you also seem to be overreacting just a bit.

Just want to put my puzzling outlier of an order in...
Config: MYLR, 5seat, B/B, 19in, no FSD
OD: Jan 12
EDD: changed too many times, currently Mar 7 - Mar 16
No VIN.
Been to a showroom and have them check the order and they said nothing is missing. Don't really understand how ppl with similar configurations and same or later order dates are getting theirs delivered when we live right next door and still don't even have a VIN assigned.
"Don't really understand how ppl with similar configurations and same or later order dates are getting theirs delivered when we live right next door and still don't even have a VIN assigned."

There are two reasons: The first is about margins. You (and especially me) have ordered what are affectionately known as the "poverty models," the lower margin version of the MYLR. Tesla, like every company, would want to fulfill higher margin orders first. The second reason is revrec (Revenue Recognition). Given the time to ship a car from Fremont to, say, NYC, Tesla will build the NYC car first so revenue from that car can be recognized in time for Q1 close. Tesla can build yours and my car two days before quarter end and recognize the revenue when we pick up at the Fremont plant on Mar 31.

Tesla operates by quarters since that is when earnings calls and such happen for Tesla's shareholders. They prioritize delivering to locations far away at beginning of quarter. Towards end of quarter, they prioritize delivering to locations they know they can make it to. There are 4 quarters in the year so that is how it works.

Therefore if you haven't gotten your VIN or car as the end of quarter is approaching, you can expect your EDD to be pushed back months.

Tesla does not solely go by OD and EDDs are almost meaningless as they always change. Their goal is to ensure they can make a sale to any person so the car that is promised to you isn't technically "your car" until it's in your hands.
I dont understand your logic, or at least I dont understand why Tesla moved my EDD up to literally the end of the quarter, it wouldn't make sense based on your logic. And I dont understand why my EDD jumped the line in front of so many other people that ordered before me. Then again, its just an estimate and could say May or June tomorrow.

OD 1/26
EDD1 Feb-Mar
EDD2 Mar 14-31
EDD3 (2/14/23): April 10 - May 22
EDD4 (2/22/23): April 08 - May 13
EDD5 (3/7/23): March 15 - 31. -- Literally the end of the quarter --
Albany New York (Mt Kisco Delivery)
MYLR blue/black/19/tow.

Is the SA’s manager bullshitting me?

For background: I have canceled three business trips because of Tesla’s constant EDD shifting. My EDD window has changed 32 times in ~43 days and I’ve been inside the window period 31 days across three different EDD windows!
Northern California Waiting Room

At the Tesla store yesterday, the SA manager apologized and confirmed this was ridiculous. Then said he and his bosses could do nothing, they have no access to the factory. Then he said he could email a “special form” to the “factory team” explaining the problems this is causing to my business life and asking they prioritize my order. He sort of showed me the form but for all I know it was bogus. He said he would not hear back from the “factory team.”

As anyone seen anything like this — “special form” etc., — from their SA or SA manager? Is the SA’s manager bullshitting me?

Reactions: James2023y
I wouldn't be surprised if tesla had a more complicated algorithm looking at a whole host of attributes before providing or adjusting an EDD than simply how close or how far a delivery location is to the factory. It is in their best interest to base that on some sort of logic that minimizes cancellations and maximizes sales.

Reactions: GigaMike

Yo! Your “the more that cancel at the once lower prices, the more profit they make” is dead on in my opinion. My wife and I discussed this. While we got very lucky getting our car via inventory next week, the thought of being pushed from March all the way to May (maybe May, right?) was sickening. I feel you made valid points.

I have owned Toyotas since 1978 and have had great success with them. I am sure you will enjoy your new car. Best of luck the next round of a Tesla purchase.

Reactions: Antique_High80
I dont understand your logic, or at least I dont understand why Tesla moved my EDD up to literally the end of the quarter, it wouldn't make sense based on your logic. And I dont understand why my EDD jumped the line in front of so many other people that ordered before me. Then again, its just an estimate and could say May or June tomorrow.

OD 1/26
EDD1 Feb-Mar
EDD2 Mar 14-31
EDD3 (2/14/23): April 10 - May 22
EDD4 (2/22/23): April 08 - May 13
EDD5 (3/7/23): March 15 - 31. -- Literally the end of the quarter --
Albany New York (Mt Kisco Delivery)
MYLR blue/black/19/tow.
What do you mean by "my logic"? This is just how Tesla operates. They've been doing this for so many years.

- EDD1 -> the default that was prob listed on website so VERY rough estimate
- EDD2 -> you are located in NY and OD is 1/26 so Tesla thought they can probably transport and deliver the car to you before end of Q1
- EDD3 and EDD4 -> Tesla prob decided they wouldn't be able to deliver the car to you by end of Q1 so they pushed your EDD
- EDD5 -> something prob changed and a car *might* be available for you that matches your configurations
- EDD6 (if it happens) -> something changed so the car they were going to give you either is delayed or not available anymore

Remember that getting an EDD or VIN doesn't mean a car has finished being custom built for you, it means that a car might be available for you that matches your configurations. This could be from existing inventory, custom built and transported, another person rejecting/cancelling their order or having it fall through, etc.

Did you get assigned a VIN yet? If so, when was that?

Reactions: beewang
What do you mean by "my logic"? This is just how Tesla operates. They've been doing this for so many years.

- EDD1 -> the default that was prob listed on website so VERY rough estimate
- EDD2 -> you are located in NY and OD is 1/26 so Tesla thought they can probably transport and deliver the car to you before end of Q1
- EDD3 and EDD4 -> Tesla prob decided they wouldn't be able to deliver the car to you by end of Q1 so they pushed your EDD
- EDD5 -> something prob changed and a car *might* be available for you that matches your configurations
- EDD6 (if it happens) -> something changed so the car they were going to give you either is delayed or not available anymore

Remember that getting an EDD or VIN doesn't mean a car has finished being custom built for you, it means that a car might be available for you that matches your configurations. This could be from existing inventory, custom built and transported, another person rejecting/cancelling their order or having it fall through, etc.

Did you get assigned a VIN yet? If so, when was that?
No, No vin yet. A few other people with similar builds and also northeast(ish) got similar new EDDs today. MYLR Blue exterior black interior waiting room

I just dont think people should be speculating how Tesla operates or telling people that if they are too far from the factory they won't see a car, as if Tesla only delivers local cars and the end of their quarters. I haven't seen anything to corroborate that logic. Even waiting for Tesla shows tons of vehicles showing up all over the country.

And yes, my new EDD could easily get changed and more than likely will. something we are all experiencing :)

Is the SA’s manager bullshitting me?

For background: I have canceled three business trips because of Tesla’s constant EDD shifting. My EDD window has changed 32 times in ~43 days and I’ve been inside the window period 31 days across three different EDD windows!
Northern California Waiting Room

At the Tesla store yesterday, the SA manager apologized and confirmed this was ridiculous. Then said he and his bosses could do nothing, they have no access to the factory. Then he said he could email a “special form” to the “factory team” explaining the problems this is causing to my business life and asking they prioritize my order. He sort of showed me the form but for all I know it was bogus. He said he would not hear back from the “factory team.”

As anyone seen anything like this — “special form” etc., — from their SA or SA manager? Is the SA’s manager bullshitting me?
That really sucks. I have no idea regarding the "special form", but wondering what is your latest EDD?

I'm assuming since you live in California, Tesla might constantly be pushing your EDD to prioritize delivering to people that are farther away. Now that Q1 is ending soon, they might start trying to deliver to areas closer to the factories. If they think they can deliver to you in March, they might just keep doing that 1 day EDD delay BS. If they realize they can't delivery to you in Q1, they'll prob push your EDD to post-April.

Have you talked to a SA about moving your delivery location to Maine? No one knows about the EV credit yet, but we do know that at least half of it will remain in place. Perhaps all of it. I get you're frustration; I share it. But you also seem to be overreacting just a bit.
If you read my whole note, you'd know that I have no vehicle to get to Maine (sold my truck due to Tesla's -$10K low trade offer). So there's that minor complication as well as visiting family with no vehicle to even pick them up at the airport. Could I rent something, yes I could and increase the cost of this transition by about $1500/month on top of the other costs. When your EDD gets shortened by 6 days, then 5 days later increased by 6+ weeks, let me know what your thoughts are! The real pisser to me is the people who ordered the same exact config, days after me and have been driving around in they MY since 2/25 (also here in AZ). Yup, I'm overreacting again. Sorry.

No, No vin yet. A few other people with similar builds and also northeast(ish) got similar new EDDs today. MYLR Blue exterior black interior waiting room

I just dont think people should be speculating how Tesla operates or telling people that if they are too far from the factory they won't see a car, as if Tesla only delivers local cars and the end of their quarters. I haven't seen anything to corroborate that logic. Even waiting for Tesla shows tons of vehicles showing up all over the country.

And yes, my new EDD could easily get changed and more than likely will. something we are all experiencing :)
People can only speculate based on what they see and experience because Tesla is not going to bother wasting their time to release how they do things to the public.

There's definitely common trends in which you can give an educated guess on how Tesla operates. People who have been following Tesla or ordering their cars over the last 5+ years should hopefully know the process compared to new people who are just ordering.

Edit: I've been on this thread since like page 90 + have watched videos on Tesla, heard people's experiences about the ordering process, seen people whose OD is later than another get their cars first, etc. There a lot of trends that are common when looking at a lot of people's delivery experience.

Last edited:
Sad. Tesla just lost a sale.
So true. Tesla may regret this time period when they over-promised and under-delivered. There will come a time when EV competition will be very stiff in the US market.

I'm extremely frustrated as well. Moreover, I am concerned if this under-delivery behavior is also indicative of the type of support I can expect in the future. I plan to keep this vehicle 10 years or longer.

Reactions: maytaurustiger

You already know that those EDD's get changed all the time. Who knows, in a couple of weeks, it may get pulled in. You never lose (not loose) any money, other than that $250 deposit if you cancel.