Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no rhyme or reason to their EDD's that I can see. I have read every page of the 435 here to date and the only consistency is inconsistency. 3/2 my EDD updated from 3/16-3/31 to 3/10-3/31. I thought it was a glimmer of hope until yesterday morning they crushed me with another EDD, this time 4/16-5/21. WTF? 5 days after shortening it? Only to wake up today, less than 24 hours later to a VIN assigned and EDD 3/12-3/21. With $1000 worth of wall charger and materials/setup cost, and close to $2K accessories sitting in my shop, it was great to get the VIN... but only after spending most of the day yesterday shopping for a Toyota Highlander and coming inches from signing for that. It's like we're all ants on an anthill and some mean assed 3rd grader on a playground has a big magnifying glass and taking pleasure in torturing the whole ant hill. You can't tell me with computer ordering they can't do a better job than predicting an EDD 2.5 months out the very day my car came off the line?

So folks, the moral of the story is Roger may have the best idea... delete your damned Tesla app and wait for an email. Easier on your stress level and blood pressure and nothing they tell you means a damned thing until you get a VIN.

View attachment 915266
Congrats. Happy you didn't remove your charger and waste money you spent on the accessories. I also have a lot of accessories including the ceramic coating sitting in my home and I could feel the pain.

Last edited:
No. The quality depends on your luck not manufacture locations. The point is your car will arrive before March 31st or not. Wish you all the best.
Seems like everyone is into their Tesla's and while i'm so excited i'm also so stressed. I bought a number of new cars as we all have but have never had to think about anything other than a perfect car, perfect paint, etc. I would not even consider taking ownership of a car that wasn't perfect but it seems perfection is not always possible with a Tesla. Sort of crazy we all accept less than perfect which I guess is a tribute to how much we love them. And It's also good to hear that 2023 Model Y's coming from either Austin or Fremont is a crapshoot.

Thanks

Yes, let’s all go shop for the Toyota Highlander today. Lol
Lmao 😂 between I have a 2021 Highlander Hybrid. I like the vehicle and the drive except for the acceleration of course. I have done an average of 19k in the last 2 years and just spent 650 for the 30k or 35k maintenance. Tires need replacement as well and on an average spend 300+ per month on gas even with a hybrid. That’s why am taking a swing at EV and will be selling this once I get mine.

Hello, @Mainuh , thanks for keeping us updated and entertained. I felt your pain and frustration as you had a unique situation and couldn't wait based on the ever changing EDD in the Tesla App. I am glad, as like many other here - that you got a VIN and hopefully get your Tesla soon, and be able to utilize the accessories and wall connector already installed. You will love your Tesla and will forget the frustrating period. Good luck!

I take the philosophical approach. I'll hang onto my order until and unless I reach a point where I decide I do not want the car...either because I can't wait or loss of the tax credit, or I decide to buy a motorcycle, or whatever. I know that there are so many factors in the scheduling process, that from the outside it will look somewhat chaotic. I also know there's a little bit of squeaky wheel and fairy godmother in some of the deliveries. Changing your order trying to get a car sooner is a crapshoot...Yes switching to MYP/tow hitch/red/white interior MIGHT move you up, but only if the config you land on happens to have a shorter line, AND cars in the pipeline to your area. The fact that it worked for someone else two days ago doesn't mean you haven't missed the boat. It's like the grocery store where you decide to change lines only to have the person at the front of the new line suddenly pull out a wad of half-expired coupons and ask the cashier to check and see if they have any fresher lemons in the back. Sometimes you're best off just standing and waiting.

Last edited:
If IRS changes tax credit guidelines and if Tesla credit drops to either zero or half, do we think we will see lots of cancelation on cars not delivered?

If that's the case then Tesla is in loss even if they have long lines of waiting customers.

Secondly, maybe Tesla knows some inside story and we don't and $7500 credit will be extended for few more months hence Tesla doesn't have to worry about delivering before March 31 and still doesn't have to worry about cancelation either.

New to this forum.
Here's my details - MYLR B/B/19" EDD 3/20 - 3/27
Ordered 1/18/23 - Fremont VIN assigned 3/7

Was hoping for a Austin VIN but any reason for concern?
I got a Fremont VIN and it was perfect. I just think that people are more likely to post negative reviews, like everything else internet related, hotels, restaurants, etc....

Reactions: geekfam and starise
I think you are wise in this.. Also because Tesla really doesn't have competition the customer facing part of the business seems to be greatly lacking. Maybe that will always be the case what with the emphasis being on engineering and efficiencies. I hope there will be strong competition to Tesla in the coming years but am not seeing it other than government supported businesses like BYD. Maybe Hyundai/Kia..
In hindsight, Tesla can't predict with any certainty how many people will order. Having said that, they had to know orders were going to increase when they dropped the prices in Jan. They wanted orders but I think they slightly underestimated demand. As I understand it, a decent profit is made on every car as compared to other EV makers. Even without color, wheel and performance options the Y is making Tesla money. They certainly aren't loss cars by any stretch, and how do they know that someone who ordered a Model Y without a lot of options won't come back later and order an S,X. or performace M3? To assume that just because a person doesn't order options does not mean they can't. It's simply a decision a customer makes and is no reflection of their potential future purchasing power. I know you didn't make this accusation, but others have implied those ordering cars without options are pushed further back. I believe this is more of a logistical decision.

When it comes down to customers and how a company treats them, I would hope they are treated the best no matter what the competition is. IOW, I hope competition is never the main driving force behind customer treatment. Are customer relations a nessesary evil or an opportunity to shine? Personally I'm generally ok with just a description of what's going to happen and roughly when. The world never works the way we plan much of the time. Yes, it's probably easy to get all caught up in making the cars and maybe forget some of the finer details of cutomer relations. The best customer relations people genuinly like people and want to serve them.

Reactions: erktrek
New to this forum.

From reading the forums: Austin seems to have better paint quality and Fremont builds have the the matrix headlights. Matrix headlights FOR NOW do not do much extra but show "Tesla" in the lightshow. They have technology that could be a better performing headlight in the future.

Also, I'm not a car expert, nor do I actually have a Tesla (waiting with the majority), but I consider myself well-read in this forum. ;-)

Hello, @Mainuh , thanks for keeping us updated and entertained. I felt your pain and frustration as you had a unique situation and couldn't wait based on the ever changing EDD in the Tesla App. I am glad, as like many other here - that you got a VIN and hopefully get your Tesla soon, and be able to utilize the accessories and wall connector already installed. You will love your Tesla and will forget the frustrating period. Good luck!
Are you the undercover Tesla CS agent? Lol

Nice... happy for you.. Was this before or after you attempted to cancel?... btw... remember I told you the other day that Fl, Tucson guys who ordered after me were getting their VINs. You're now a living example of no consistency in their EDDs. As a good friend of mine @ghostrider78 told me once, "If we knew the arithmetic/logic behind the production ordering, sequencing and delivery of Teslas, we could open up a consulting firm and make money out of it" ;)
Seems I should get annoyed, stressed, frustrated for my EDD to come back closer 🤣. It moved from Feb-Mar to June now. I need a vehicle, I don’t see an other vehicle at this price point which checks out most of the box’s. 510 numbers give template answers and couldn’t buy an inventory from other state too ( not sure why OH has cars in inventory all the time- my friend ordered one on 2/15, got it delivered on 2/25). Not sure what more NC folks can do?

• Funny
Reactions: FanboyNC
Thanks for your comments and glad I could provide entertainment in this often stressful environment for many! :) They sent the scheduling text shortly after the VIN text this morning. My daughter and husband both drive Teslas (3 & Y) and his parents have an S and an X as well as a good friend who has a Y, so I don't have any doubt I'll love it, but lesson learned on the "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" and all the EDD's. Until you have a VIN, you could estimate EDD's better than Tesla does with a roulette wheel! Strange to wake up planning to go buy a Toyota Highlander only to be scheduling my Tesla delivery an hour later... My model Y had to be passing through the assembly line yesterday while they were changing my EDD out from March 10 to May 21'st... Go figure!

New to this forum.

I believe Fremont is the first factory that Tesla opened up so they have tons of experience manufacturing various Tesla vehicles (X, S, Y, etc). The Austin factory is still relatively new compared to Fremont.

In contrast to Fremont, Austin builds do not come with matrix headlights (not a big deal tbh). Since Fremont has more experience, one in theory could say they produce cars with lesser quality issues.

And what may happen on 31st? The same IRS statement as on March 1st/Feb 28th?
I imagine it will be similar to past tax rebate incentives. I really have no idea, but I can guess.

If they make the qualifications too complex it's going to create a lot of extra work. If they still have funding, they keep the full amount open. Waning coffers, they begin to reign it in. The best middle ground is to cut it in half at some point based on battery origin. That way they didn't completely erase it. That's a calculated political move that tries to make it work for everyone instead of placing undue burden on EV makers who didn't make the deadline and had customers who were depending on it although stll at a loss. The deal may have already been cut and they are just delaying the announcement. Keep the full amount throughout 2023 and everyone is happy.

The idea was to incentivize US produced EVs, although Hyundai has argued for the rebate with little or no basis. High end is priced outside of rebate ceilings...so that only leaves Tesla and maybe a few other players like the Chevy Bolt. Personally I think a lot of this is going to depend on how much the government want's to incentivize Tesla in particular since they are really the main player here. Past relations have been shoddy at best between Tesla and Uncle Sam, with US leaning more towards GM support publicly. They seem to be better bedfellows, even though Tesla has them beat by a mile.

Hopefully opening up the SC network was seen as a token of goodwill by the GM leaning administration who will continue to support rebates for those buying Tesla.

There. Did that answer your question? :)