Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Raleigh as well, curious if they let you inspect the interior prior to accepting delivery? It seems to be a mixed bag of what experience people have regarding how much you can inspect prior to accepting delivery.
I found my car before checking in. There was a paper tag inside the car with my name. No one stopped me from giving it an inspect, inside and out. I know some people say they won't open the door until you sign but that wasn't my experience. They were very accommodating. Your car will be on the curb adjacent to the entrance to the SC.

Since I did this yesterday, I originally had a MYLR Silver/black with 19" wheels, that I ordered Jan 29. I was able to get the exact same setup, just in the AWD variant, for $52,990, which I believe is the price from Jan?
$52990 is the current price. Price in January would have been $51990 (50990 base plus 1000 for silver). They do not honor the January price because you didn't order a standard range in January. Actually no one ordered a standard range in January because it's an off menu vehicle.

Reactions: starise
5. Had to remind myself I wasn't creating any emissions. Yea! No big adjustment to EV from ICE.
Generally and depending on which study you read, an EV will result in just much pollution as an ICE vehicle over the average ownership period - the difference is that most of the pollution associated with EV goes into building it while most of the pollution of an ICE vehicle goes into driving it. Unless you keep an EV until it will no longer move under its own power and use solar or wind energy to charge it, you're not doing the environment any favors. I like the quietness, smoothness, instant torque, technology, and convenience of charging an EV at home, but...at least for now...there's little to no advantage when it comes to the environment. :)

Why y’all installed wall charger before you even get the car? Don’t jinx yourself.
It would be mighty inconvenient to take delivery of a new Tesla, live a 2-hour round trip away from the nearest Supercharger like me, and have no way to charge at home. :)

Generally and depending on which study you read, an EV will result in just much pollution as an ICE vehicle over the average ownership period - the difference is that most of the pollution associated with EV goes into building it while most of the pollution of an ICE vehicle goes into driving it. Unless you keep an EV until it will no longer move under its own power and use solar or wind energy to charge it, you're not doing the environment any favors. I like the quietness, smoothness, instant torque, technology, and convenience of charging an EV at home, but...at least for now...there's little to no advantage when it comes to the environment. :)
And that is the wrong study and totally misleading...

hi, can finance options be changed closer to delivery? In other words, if I select cash now, will I have an option to change it to finance later?

When did you switch the payment from cash to financing in the app? I looked through your posts but did not see any follow up on this.

I am in similar situation. I chose cash when I placed the order and was planning to change to financing later. Now I got the VIN last night. I am not sure if changing the payment option will have any impact on my EDD.

I started talking to the local credit union. They approved my loan but asking for a copy of purchase agreement with their name shown as the lien holder. I am considering proceeding after I chose the delivery date. Anyone have similar experience in switching from cash to financing? What's your advice?

Thanks!

Reactions: slyderz3

It would be mighty inconvenient to take delivery of a new Tesla, live a 2-hour round trip away from the nearest Supercharger like me, and have no way to charge at home. :)
I'd be curious to know which study you read, which gave you this information? Of all the studies I have looked at, an EV begins being cleaner than an ICE car in as little as just 8000 miles. For example, the Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago, includes thousands of parameters from the type metals in an EV battery to the amount of aluminium or plastic in a car, as a basis for the beginning of the comparisons to ICE vehicles.

Of note: Argonne's Greenhouse Gases, Regulated Emissions and Energy Use in Technologies (GREET) model is now being used with other tools to help shape policy at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board, the two main regulators of vehicle emissions in the U.S.

They compared a Toyota Corolla (arguable a very fuel efficient vehicle) to the Model 3 and to summarize, if you were able to charge the vehicle from an outlet that gets its power from at least 90% renewables, the carbon break even point is 8000 miles. From that point on, you're cleaning the environment. If you got your power from coal, it would take almost 80,000 miles to reach the break even point. Either scenario still shows that an EV is much better for the environment compared to what you stated in your post.

Link: Analysis: When do electric vehicles become cleaner than gasoline cars?

Reactions: monkft and tm3lrawd
After speculating for couple of days, I decided to switch to MYP today. The price is $56,990 same as it was on 1/25. A $3.5K bump from the base MYLR $53,490. It is still $2,000 cheaper than it is now. It seems that my MYLR won't be delivered in March anyway based on the latest movement. So switching to MYP will probably qualify the same $3,750 EV credit as the MYLR. The $3.5K extra get me the 21" wheels, brakes, and better 0-60 joy plus etra data comes with the performance tag. To me personally, this is worth it.

If anyone upgrade to MYP , does Tesla adjust the price to the price at the time you order or they keep increase to the current price? Thank you.
See my post above. When switching to MYP, the price is the same as it was when you ordered your MYLR. When you placed your order of a model Y, it locked the price for both MYLR and MYP if you decide to switch later on.

Reactions: philiple
What did you say to convince them to give you a VIN? Every time I text them the answer is always the same — go check the app. 😂

I told them I am planning a trip to Asia late March (this is true) and really would like to get the car ASAP.

The first message in the morning is they do not have one now but will try hard to get me one soon.
3 hours later, a message asked if they can get one, can I take delivery today or tomorrow? I said definitely.
3.5 more hours later, a message told me to get on the account to schedule the delivery.

Paying through Plaid (my bank is Chase) was swift and easy.
But trying to get Tesla insurance quote was painful. I get put on hold forever. If this is their customer service, I will stick with Statefarm since my agent answers my phone calls immediately.

I start to have doubt that I may have gotten a Standard Range on their new inventory.
They probably just need to do a software update to change SR to LR.

Reactions: James2023y
I told them I am planning a trip to Asia late March (this is true) and really would like to get the car ASAP.

The first message in the morning is they do not have one now but will try hard to get me one soon.
3 hours later, a message asked if they can get one, can I take delivery today or tomorrow? I said definitely.
3.5 more hours later, a message told me to get on the account to schedule the delivery.

Paying through Plaid (my bank is Chase) was swift and easy.
But trying to get Tesla insurance quote was painful. I get put on hold forever. If this is their customer service, I will stick with Statefarm since my agent answers my phone calls immediately.

I start to have doubt that I may have gotten a Standard Range on their new inventory.
They probably just need to do a software update to change SR to LR.
They cannot change SR to LR with software upgrade as the battery in SR has less storage capacity. Its a hardware thing. If I were you I would make sure if its LR or SR.

Reactions: FanboyNC
They cannot change SR to LR with software upgrade as the battery in SR has less storage capacity. Its a hardware thing. If I were you I would make sure if its LR or SR.

Good to know it is not a software upgrade. :)
My suspicion was based on the news a few years ago, Tesla did OTA software upgrade to get more range for those Tesla cars in a Hurricane zone so that they could get out without having to recharge alone the way.
That is why I always suspect the SRs have same battery installed and just use sw to limit the range.

I ordered LR and already paid for LR.
If it is an SR, I think they would have told me and I could reject the delivery.

Good to know it is not a software upgrade. :)
My suspicion was based on the news a few years ago, Tesla did OTA software upgrade to get more range for those Tesla cars in a Hurricane zone so that they could get out without having to recharge alone the way.
That is why I always suspect the SRs have same battery installed and just use sw to limit the range.

I ordered LR and already paid for LR.
If it is an SR, I think they would have told me and I could reject the delivery.
Hope they are giving you the LR. But I would not assume anything of them. Better to confirm with them (in writing/text/email).

I think all Tesla models have some kind of reserves but not all of them have the same battery pack/capacity. But that does not mean all of them have the same battery pack/capacity.

Did you get a pick up date yet ? I am in SoCal too and I got my VIN on 02/17 and is an Austin Build - PA080xxx
Did you get a pick up date yet ? I am in SoCal too and I got my VIN on 02/17 and is an Austin Build - PA080x
No I didn't record, I thought it was normal... My noise was from the front area. It was my first update so didn't know what to expect.

I hope all is well and that the noise has not come back again, has it ? For me, after the software update to 2023.2.12 there has been no such noise. However, I have discovered a different noise and it is a metallic clicking noise. This happens whenever the accelerator (gas pedal) is released and the speed of the car is over 50mph. Have you noticed anything like that ?

Finally got my VIN this afternoon!!! It's an Austin build with PA078. Since I saw some post with PA08, I hope it's a reject from someone else.
That was my post. My SC rep said my MY AWD just left Austin enroure to Fresno, so just came off the line within the last 48 hours is my guess. If your VIN truly is PA078XXX, that's over 20,000 cars difference. I don't think Austin is producing that many MY's per month, so likely a rejected car? My guess anyway.

"
That was my post. My SC rep said my MY AWD just left Austin enroure to Fresno, so just came off the line within the last 48 hours is my guess. If your VIN truly is PA078XXX, that's over 20,000 cars difference. I don't think Austin is producing that many MY's per month, so likely a rejected car? My guess anyway.
It could be someone changed their mind about the color. No worries. I will have opportunities to check it out. If you found major defects or high mileage then reject it.

Reactions: erktrek
I'd be curious to know which study you read, which gave you this information? Of all the studies I have looked at, an EV begins being cleaner than an ICE car in as little as just 8000 miles. For example, the Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago, includes thousands of parameters from the type metals in an EV battery to the amount of aluminium or plastic in a car, as a basis for the beginning of the comparisons to ICE vehicles.

Of note: Argonne's Greenhouse Gases, Regulated Emissions and Energy Use in Technologies (GREET) model is now being used with other tools to help shape policy at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board, the two main regulators of vehicle emissions in the U.S.

They compared a Toyota Corolla (arguable a very fuel efficient vehicle) to the Model 3 and to summarize, if you were able to charge the vehicle from an outlet that gets its power from at least 90% renewables, the carbon break even point is 8000 miles. From that point on, you're cleaning the environment. If you got your power from coal, it would take almost 80,000 miles to reach the break even point. Either scenario still shows that an EV is much better for the environment compared to what you stated in your post.

Link: Analysis: When do electric vehicles become cleaner than gasoline cars?
"if you were able to charge the vehicle from an outlet that gets its power from at least 90% renewables, the carbon break even point is 8000 miles"

I'm no expert, but "at least 90% renewables" seems unrealistic.