Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my post. My SC rep said my MY AWD just left Austin enroure to Fresno, so just came off the line within the last 48 hours is my guess. If your VIN truly is PA078XXX, that's over 20,000 cars difference. I don't think Austin is producing that many MY's per month, so likely a rejected car? My guess anyway.
I’m waiting for reply from SA on the built date of the car. However, there’s another SoCal in different forum with same color combo also got a PA078 VIN with delivery date of this week as well. So I hope it’s just a batch of car with same color coming out of Austin.

I’m waiting for reply from SA on the built date of the car. However, there’s another SoCal in different forum with same color combo also got a PA078 VIN with delivery date of this week as well. So I hope it’s just a batch of car with same color coming out of Austin.
I think PA078xxx VIN was built by the end last week of February. It takes a week to transport from Austin to CA.

Reactions: geekfam
That was my post. My SC rep said my MY AWD just left Austin enroure to Fresno, so just came off the line within the last 48 hours is my guess. If your VIN truly is PA078XXX, that's over 20,000 cars difference. I don't think Austin is producing that many MY's per month, so likely a rejected car? My guess anyway.
According this article Austin has the potential to produce 250K vehicles this year, and Fremont over 650K.

Tesla 2023 production by Factory

"if you were able to charge the vehicle from an outlet that gets its power from at least 90% renewables, the carbon break even point is 8000 miles"

I'm no expert, but "at least 90% renewables" seems unrealistic.
Not at all. I charge every day on 100% renewables. It's called solar. A lot of home owners have solar. Additionally, renewables in states like California operate a high percentage of Supercharger stations.
What I gave was an average of between 8000 miles (less for those of us that charge with Solar) and 80000 miles for those in dirty states like Kentucky that use coal to power their Superchargers. Regardless, it's far less than what was stated above.

Reactions: dvlsd and monkft
When did you switch the payment from cash to financing in the app? I looked through your posts but did not see any follow up on this.

I am in similar situation. I chose cash when I placed the order and was planning to change to financing later. Now I got the VIN last night. I am not sure if changing the payment option will have any impact on my EDD.

I started talking to the local credit union. They approved my loan but asking for a copy of purchase agreement with their name shown as the lien holder. I am considering proceeding after I chose the delivery date. Anyone have similar experience in switching from cash to financing? What's your advice?

Thanks!

I don't believe changing the form of payment from cash to financing would change your EDD. This was our situation: we initially set cash as the form of payment as well then changed it to loan (Tesla financing) after getting the VIN (3/6). It did not change our EDD. We immediately filled out the application on the app once we got the VIN and was approved within a few minutes, and was able to set delivery for this Saturday 3/11. I'm not sure how the process would differ if you chose financing through third party (non-Tesla financing), but we did notice there was an option to choose that on the app as well.

Generally and depending on which study you read, an EV will result in just much pollution as an ICE vehicle over the average ownership period - the difference is that most of the pollution associated with EV goes into building it while most of the pollution of an ICE vehicle goes into driving it. Unless you keep an EV until it will no longer move under its own power and use solar or wind energy to charge it, you're not doing the environment any favors. I like the quietness, smoothness, instant torque, technology, and convenience of charging an EV at home, but...at least for now...there's little to no advantage when it comes to the environment. :)

It would be mighty inconvenient to take delivery of a new Tesla, live a 2-hour round trip away from the nearest Supercharger like me, and have no way to charge at home. :)

Wow, all the delays. But...who knows you could have dodged some serious issues.
I picked up My MSM/B/19 on 25th. Heard some faint noise coming when going over 50mph.
Took it to Tesla on the 4th of March.
Sat at the dealership for 4 hours before they told me that they will need to keep the car.
Got me a loaner MS P100D... Hello Ludicrous!
They sent MY to a local body shop to "seal the seam".
Not sure if they forgot to weld something at the factory... lol
Will be done by Monday. Or so they say.

"Emissions will vary based on assumptions about the specific vehicles being compared, EV battery size and chemistry, vehicle lifetimes, and the electricity grid used to recharge the EV, among other factors."

80% of electricity generation in the US is from non-renewable resources and 60% of that is from coal and natural gas. :)

Got me a loaner MS P100D... Hello Ludicrous!
I hate getting loaners that are more expensive than what I own - I'd rather have a cheap, stinky rental car so that my vehicle seems nicer when I get it back. :)

Reactions: dimitriz
80% of electricity generation in the US is from non-renewable resources and 60% of that is from coal and natural gas. :)
Yep, def needs to change and it is albeit slowly - of course ICE infrastructure uses (a lot of) power from there too. The key I think is the power/fuel to vehicle distribution is a lot more efficient and direct with EVs.

The question is - is manufacturing really all that much worse for EVs as compared to ICE vehicles? That's where things start to get murky.. I haven't looked into it all that much but there sure is a lot of misinformation out there.

Just to clear up a few misconceptions. I went from cash to Tesla financing. A few days after that they bumped my delivery to to April/May from March. Seems to have no bearing on delivery whatsoever. I continue to see order dates close to mine 1/21 with either deliveries/VIN or Mar. delivery expectations.

Others similar to me from NJ close to me in PA. Have similar time bumps into the future. Hey Tesla, yeah you. Don't forget us over here. They say a watched pot never boils and I have been watching the pot way too much. If Q2 has new additions that's a nice benny. Otherwise I feel like a second class citizen over here. I don't want to jinx the system in trying to jump ahead in getting a refused car. I want the one I am supposed to have.

The shame of this is I would have ordered a week earlier but it took a week to have my wife in agreement with an EV. I could have just ordered anyways but that isn't how we operate. We are a team.

I used to see verbiage regarding critical battery components. Has it been temporarily removed until the IRS guidance is released or am I overlooking it?

(6) Section 30D(e)(2)(A) provides that the battery components requirement with respect to the battery from which the electric motor of a vehicle draws electricity is satisfied if the percentage of the value of the components contained in such battery that were manufactured or assembled in North America is equal to or greater than the applicable percentage (as certified by the qualified manufacturer, in such form or manner as prescribed by the Secretary). The applicable percentage for the battery components requirement is set forth in § 30D(e)(2)(B)(i) through (vi) and varies based on when the vehicle is placed in service. In the case of a vehicle placed in service after the date proposed guidance is issued and before January 1, 2024, the applicable percentage is 50 percent. In the case of a vehicle placed in service during calendar year 2024 or 2025, the applicable percentage is 60 percent. In the case of a vehicle placed in service during calendar year 2026, 2027, and 2028, the applicable percentage is 70 percent, 80 percent, and 90 percent, respectively. In the case of a vehicle placed in service after December 31, 2028, the applicable percentage is 100 percent.

From this legaleze, it appears to me Tesla's batteries need to have 50% components contained in the batteries originating in the US. If we include the outer wrappings and maybe a few other elements we are hopefully at 50%.

In addition, there must be some sort of a report going out to the IRS when cars are made that qualify. Otherwise how does the IRS know how much money they will be discounting from 2024 returns? Oh that's right, they just print more money whenever they run out of it.

Last edited:
I told them I am planning a trip to Asia late March (this is true) and really would like to get the car ASAP.

The first message in the morning is they do not have one now but will try hard to get me one soon.
3 hours later, a message asked if they can get one, can I take delivery today or tomorrow? I said definitely.
3.5 more hours later, a message told me to get on the account to schedule the delivery.

Paying through Plaid (my bank is Chase) was swift and easy.
But trying to get Tesla insurance quote was painful. I get put on hold forever. If this is their customer service, I will stick with Statefarm since my agent answers my phone calls immediately.

I start to have doubt that I may have gotten a Standard Range on their new inventory.
They probably just need to do a software update to change SR to LR.
I would triple check that it is still a LR. MYAWD (SR) is a totally different battery and battery construction. They won't be doing any software update to make it a LR.
It should say in your MVPA what the car is. It should be called Model Y Long Range and not Model Y All Wheel Drive (AWD). Tesla does not refer to any of their N. American Model Ys as Standard Range. Even the RWD Model 3 is not called SR anymore.

Reactions: starise and erktrek
I would triple check that it is still a LR. MYAWD (SR) is a totally different battery and battery construction. They won't be doing any software update to make it a LR.
It should say in your MVPA what the car is. It should be called Model Y Long Range and not Model Y All Wheel Drive (AWD). Tesla does not refer to any of their N. American Model Ys as Standard Range. Even the RWD Model 3 is not called SR anymore.

This is an older article....

Nowadays could also be a larger pack BUT LFP...

This is an older article....

Could also be a larger pack BUT LFP...
Yeah they sold the Model Y SR for a month or two in Jan-Feb 2021 and most of those orders were cancelled. A few were delivered. Has nothing to do with the current situation between MYLR and MYAWD.

Reactions: erktrek
Yeah they sold the Model Y SR for a month or two in Jan-Feb 2021 and most of those orders were cancelled. A few were delivered. Has nothing to do with the current situation between MYLR and MYAWD.

I thought AWD was rebranded SR with 4680 or LFP goodness... 🤷‍♂️

"if you were able to charge the vehicle from an outlet that gets its power from at least 90% renewables, the carbon break even point is 8000 miles"

I'm no expert, but "at least 90% renewables" seems unrealistic.
In 2020 PG&E only used natural gas for 16% of the energy delivered. Now only 30% was from what the Stare of CA classified as renewable. For some reason the state allows small hydro to be in the renewable category but not large hydro. Hydro was 10% of energy that year. Not renewable but not CO2 producing was nuclear power which was 42% of the PG&E power mix in 2020 so getting close to 90% non CO2 sources of power in northern and central CA.

Quick way to check if you have standard range or long range is to click on the "Specs & Warranty" link at the bottom of the Tesla App on your phone. This will bring up the following:

Mine is long range, and I would be curious to see the specs from a standard range - what does it show.

Thanks!

Specs_TeslaY.jpeg

No I didn't record, I thought it was normal... My noise was from the front area. It was my first update so didn't know what to expect.

My VIN was PA080xxx and it was built in Austin on 02/17/2023 and took the delivery on 03/02/203. So, PA078XXX is probably a reject or someone cancelled.

4680 are not LFP. Tesla calls the off menu 4680 Model Y: “Model Y AWD”. So that is how I think we should refer to it as. I know what people mean when they say MYSR but that is actually a different version from the past and more accurately reflects the MY RWD LFP model sold overseas (although even that is not called SR by Tesla anymore).