Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know thanks.

America has been doing nothing but buying from China for just about everything for what, like the last 30 years? I mean, it's very difficult to purchase many things UNLESS you get them made in China. Seriously the ratio of American to Chinsese good is likely realistically 20/80 and I might be being very generous here.
So this is more than a little hypocritical.
So now many makers are simply moving Chinese companies over here. Chinese made batteries in America. This is the deal CATL has with Ford. Ford will be using their "Tech" and probably their machines. Could this be why Tesla has decided to pull battery manufacturing out of Belin and bring it back here? Maybe.

China still has 3/4 of the EV battery manufacturing in the world. I know the US is trying to stop that, but then why did they let the other 1 billion Chinese made products slip through these last 30 years? The answer is political so I won't go there.

Ahh Manchin... good luck everyone.. fingers crossed for full credit for the "LRY"

View attachment 920475
Why is MYP left out?? 😄 Maybe the M3P can also qualify?

1679579750774.png

Why is MYP left out?? 😄 Maybe the M3P can also qualify?

View attachment 920505

I believe the reason why so many of us were pushed out for delivery was that Tesla knew this was coming. My guess is when they negotiated to open part of their supercharger network outside of Tesla that the Feds negotiated this with them. I scratch your back you scratch mine!

I believe the reason why so many of us were pushed out for delivery was that Tesla knew this was coming. My guess is when they negotiated to open part of their supercharger network outside of Tesla that the Feds negotiated this with them. I scratch your back you scratch mine!
So this means everyone here (all MY buyers and no M3 buyers) can relax now even if the EDDs are pushed to Q2.

So this means everyone here (all MY buyers and no M3 buyers) can relax now even if the EDDs are pushed to Q2.
While the statements made in the electrek article are encouraging, I won't relax until it is confirmed that the Model Y will continue to qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit for the foreseeable future. I don't know who Fred Lambert is and must view his statements as opinions until proven to be fact. :)

Reactions: HitchHiker71
While the statements made in the electrek article are encouraging, I won't relax until it is confirmed that the Model Y will continue to qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit for the foreseeable future. :)
I am with you. If I were to stick with my MYLR, I wouldn't have been able to relax easily.

MY decision to change to MYP was mostly due to the fact that I would have loved the MYLR but missed the extras offered on MYP for little premium. Other reason was I gave up on fighting with the 2 things I don't have control over: (1) 50% of the credits from raw material (this is in control by treasury). (2) Tesla delivery timeframe (either MYLR or MYP). By switching, I didn't have to worry about the $3,750 part from the raw material. Now, I am lucky enough to get the extra $3,750 that gave up on.

Reactions: erktrek
The delivery of my MYP could not have gone smoother. As soon as we walked in a SA (Joe) greeted us. We were 20 minutes early but he was able to assist us right away. Our vehicle was perfect, at least in our eyes. We were in and out in 25 minutes, with half that time spent signing paperwork, setting up our phones, and walking through many of the settings. We're first time Tesla owners and neither of us have ever even sat in a Tesla.

When I got home, my son and I carefully inspected the car again. We also tested our Tesla wall charger. Nothing found but smiles. 😀 😀 😀

Our SA mentioned that we have 7 days and 100 miles, whichever comes first, to report any issues we find.
Glad they finally came through for you! So you bought it without even a test ride? I'm loving mine after a week. Taking it up Mt Lemmon today.

Isn't it funny how different the SA info can be... at delivery mine said I had 24 hours or 100 miles. Others on here have said 48 hours and 100 miles. Go figure. I was happy with the quality on mine from Austin. I had one little blem on passenger front door near rocker panel, but I rode my bike down a day before delivery and found that and was able to show it to someone who was about to wash/detail it for delivery and they took care of it as it was gone and looked perfect the next day when we took delivery. Did you get an Austin or Fremont build?

Lots of cars coming into BC...they must have just blown past you guys and forgot to stop!!
I Got mine in Spokane and feel Lucky
I am so glad that I switched to MYP. I doubt that either of us with the basic configuration MYLR was going to get delivery this month.
Feel the same... it did cost more- but we did get better brakes, more (unlocked) power and a spoiler.

but those 21 inch wheels I knew would be a problem...
Already curbed the left front Uber wheel.
I can change wheels /tires but never wanted the 21's -was lucky and did get the Michelin All seasons though.

What was the best part of switching to the P model?

Actually getting it in a timely manner.
Yes, I edited my order online. I was charged $56,990, which was the base price of the MYP on 1/18/23 when I submitted my original order.
I bet this will still work for anyone that still shows an edit feature in the manage app.

I could not wait any longer and switching to the basic Performance model was worth it. Really enjoying the 418 Horsepower. :)

Everyone get ready...
Also, there could possibly be a "transition" rule if your vehicle PURCHASED BEFORE the date the new IRS requirement change goes into effect.

This apparently happened in August 2022 when IRS updated their requirements/guidelines for 2022 EV federal tax credit.

Screenshot_20230323-121930.png

(from IRS fact sheet)

Screenshot_20230323-122133.png

(from IRS website)

Links:
- Topic C — Frequently Asked Questions About When The New Requirements Apply To The New Clean Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service
- Credits for New Electric Vehicles Purchased in 2022 or Before | Internal Revenue Service

TAKE ALL THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT - IM NOT AN EV EXPERT NOR GOV RULES EXPERT

Good to know thanks.

America has been doing nothing but buying from China for just about everything for what, like the last 30 years? I mean, it's very difficult to purchase many things UNLESS you get them made in China. Seriously the ratio of American to Chinsese good is likely realistically 20/80 and I might be being very generous here.
So this is more than a little hypocritical.
So now many makers are simply moving Chinese companies over here. Chinese made batteries in America. This is the deal CATL has with Ford. Ford will be using their "Tech" and probably their machines. Could this be why Tesla has decided to pull battery manufacturing out of Belin and bring it back here? Maybe.

China still has 3/4 of the EV battery manufacturing in the world. I know the US is trying to stop that, but then why did they let the other 1 billion Chinese made products slip through these last 30 years? The answer is political so I won't go there.
It is about profits than political. American companies had set up factories in China 30 years ago for low cost and then take products back to US selling for higher profits. They lobbied US politicians to approve the move. US politicians receive campaign donations from US companies as well as billionaire owners and ignore Americans lost job here. Now China becomes stronger and US politicians do not like it. They just do not care about American jobs but just because communist China is stronger now. Why US politicians are still approving job transferring to Mexico especially auto industry? In short, just all about Benjamins.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Could this be why Tesla has decided to pull battery manufacturing out of Belin and bring it back here? Maybe.

I've seen articles that indicate that Tesla has officially stated that the move of battery manufacturing from Berlin back to the US was primarily due to the IRA tax credit requirements. The EU recently complained to the current Administration about this when Biden was over in the EU - and supposedly Biden is now revisiting this issue and has said he will work with the EU to smooth this all out - which I suspect means we'll see some changes to the regs to allow the EU to receive some preferential treatment given the EU doesn't want EU manufacturers moving all battery production to the US due to current regs. We saw similar developments for Japan recently, getting some preferential treatment for battery materials sourcing and processing, despite the fact that we don't have a free trade agreement with Japan at present.

• Informative
Reactions: starise and Mr_Joe
Just got the following update in text after asking Tesla for a ping on vehicle location:

Sir, the vehicle is now on the train headed to Maryland. After that it will come by truck to Baltimore.

No updates in the app yet - but at least my MY is officially in transit now from Freemont, CA! :cool: Figure 2-3 days to transit by train - then another 1-2 days for truck transportation - assuming no delays - that's 3+2=5 days. That would put me at 3/28/2023. Just guestimates on my part - but I'm now hopeful that I could see delivery before end of month!

Glad they finally came through for you! So you bought it without even a test ride? I'm loving mine after a week. Taking it up Mt Lemmon today.

Isn't it funny how different the SA info can be... at delivery mine said I had 24 hours or 100 miles. Others on here have said 48 hours and 100 miles. Go figure. I was happy with the quality on mine from Austin. I had one little blem on passenger front door near rocker panel, but I rode my bike down a day before delivery and found that and was able to show it to someone who was about to wash/detail it for delivery and they took care of it as it was gone and looked perfect the next day when we took delivery. Did you get an Austin or Fremont build?
Yep, never even seen the inside of a Tesla before. Crazy, perhaps foolish, but I am so happy that I went forward with the purchase.

My vehicle has a few very minor panel gap issues, but I'm not going to let that bother me. I was so worried about the possible things that could go wrong during delivery, that afterwards I had a ripping headache. I posted about our extremely positive experience hoping it would help others relax and enjoy receiving their new car.

Beautiful, crisp day in AZ to go for a nice drive.

My MY was built in Fremont on 3/17. Currently all MY Ps for the domestic market are built there.

Just got the following update in text after asking Tesla for a ping on vehicle location:

Sir, the vehicle is now on the train headed to Maryland. After that it will come by truck to Baltimore.

No updates in the app yet - but at least my MY is officially in transit now from Freemont, CA! :cool: Figure 2-3 days to transit by train - then another 1-2 days for truck transportation - assuming no delays - that's 3+2=5 days. That would put me at 3/28/2023. Just guestimates on my part - but I'm now hopeful that I could see delivery before end of month!
You should expect a few days delay in Maryland before load up to the trucks to Baltimore.

Reactions: HitchHiker71

And here I am on my 4th week waiting in Raleigh for a car built on Feb 25th in Fremont 😂

I Got mine in Spokane and feel Lucky

Feel the same... it did cost more- but we did get better brakes, more (unlocked) power and a spoiler.

but those 21 inch wheels I knew would be a problem...
Already curbed the left front Uber wheel.
I can change wheels /tires but never wanted the 21's -was lucky and did get the Michelin All seasons though.

What was the best part of switching to the P model?

Actually getting it in a timely manner.

I bet this will still work for anyone that still shows an edit feature in the manage app.

I could not wait any longer and switching to the basic Performance model was worth it. Really enjoying the 418 Horsepower. :)
We are indeed fortunate and blessed! If the MYs lose 50% ($3750) of tax credit on 4/1, I will feel that I got the performance upgrade practically for free.

Many view the MY LR as the value play. I was in that camp. However, when I took a closer look at what the MY P includes, I think it represents a greater value.
  • Tesla charges $2250 more 21" wheels/tire combo over the 19s.
  • Acceleration boost costs $2000 for LR (nice, but still doesn't get you MYP's performance)
  • Spoiler ($800)
  • Upgraded suspension (cost?)
  • Upgraded brakes (cost?)
  • Aluminum pedals ($75?)
  • Resale value (?)
As others have reported, the 2023 MYP's ride comfort has greatly improved. Maybe its not as much of a disadvantage as it once was.

Now the wheels - yea, they are gorgeous as hell, but potential curbing and the cost of tires. It's going to be painful.

After starting to loose hope that I'd get my car this month I just got a text alerting me that I should get my VIN this month. This is probably just Tesla just strining me along but who knows I might get my order by the end of this month.
Definitely a frustrating experience. My OD was 1/18. Trade-in just expired as did my financing. And now interest rates going up....