Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m moving in a few weeks and wanted my car swap to be over! Which is why I opted to swap to the 20” wheels at “half the cost”. Sucks that it’s an older build but should be as good as other ones being build today.

If there is no rush I would just stay with what you got
Yeah everyone has to make the decisions for their situation - I believe we may have driven that demo vehicle at the showroom 🤔. I just can't see paying
$1640 more for a used vehicle that has less range, potentially less "ride comfort" (subjective!) and more wear and tear than a new one with 19" wheels.

I'm actually not annoyed at Tesla for offering this because it is in fact similar.. they need to have a "not interested" check box for each vehicle on the Accel Delivery page.

Yeah everyone has to make the decisions for their situation - I believe we may have driven that demo vehicle at the showroom 🤔. I just can't see paying
$1640 more for a used vehicle that has less range, potentially less "ride comfort" (subjective!) and more wear and tear than a new one with 19" wheels.

I'm actually not annoyed at Tesla for offering this because it is in fact similar.. they need to have a "not interested" check box for each vehicle on the Accel Delivery page.
I agree 100%. I will be patient and get the car that I want that I will be keeping for the next 10+ years. I do not want to second guess myself when there are issues, which will come up and I know will be covered but who wants those issues. I test drove a MYLR with 20" at the Princeton SC. My wife drove over a curb cause she was not used to the site lines and I hit the accelerator hard to see what a dual motor was like. Hard driving on that demo car just from one person. Multiply it by 100+ drives!

Reactions: hp1234 and erktrek
Wanted to give an update to specially folks in NJ who have been waiting patiently.

OD 1/19
MYLR GRAY/BLK/19'
ODD changed almost 5 time starting from Feb delivery to last EDD of Apr 9 - May 7.
To my surprise I got text on Sat morning that VIN is assigned and delivery date is March 28 - March 31st.
I also got email from SA on Friday that VIN is assigned but I didn't check my email so I found out Sat after I got text.
I scrambled to complete Insurance and Payment steps and by the time I completed everything, all the appointments were taken at Princeton location.
I texted SA and told him to put me in any slot and day this month.
He said all the slots are taken but he can put me tentatively for 4 PM on March 31st.
So far app still shows same delivery date and time.

Few suggestions.
As soon as your VIN is assigned, text SA to put you in for delivery even without completing Insurance and payment steps.
My SA emailed me on Friday night that VIN is assigned but text didn't come until Saturday morning so keep an eye out on Email and aText.
For some reason timing on App, web and communication via text is not in sync so don't rely on one or the other.
It seems SAs know before even vin assigned text is sent or App is updated so best to keep checking with SAs.

I am looking forward to delivery date and hopefully it goes smooth but I do expect some delays considering their all delivery time slots are taken and probably overbooked too specially it MAY be last day for credit if IRS changes guidelines.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Skunis and erktrek

One caution about al these demo units, the factory warranty starts when the vehicle becomes a demo, not when you take delivery. In some cases that could mean as much as 2-3 months less warranty coverage vs. new.

One caution about al these demo units, the factory warranty starts when the vehicle becomes a demo, not when you take delivery. In some cases that could mean as much as 2-3 months less warranty coverage vs. new.
That is a very useful thing to know.. thanks. I wonder if there are any other subtle service/ownership "gotchas" as well.

Wanted to give an update to specially folks in NJ who have been waiting patiently.

OD 1/19
MYLR GRAY/BLK/19'
ODD changed almost 5 time starting from Feb delivery to last EDD of Apr 9 - May 7.
To my surprise I got text on Sat morning that VIN is assigned and delivery date is March 28 - March 31st.
I also got email from SA on Friday that VIN is assigned but I didn't check my email so I found out Sat after I got text.
I scrambled to complete Insurance and Payment steps and by the time I completed everything, all the appointments were taken at Princeton location.
I texted SA and told him to put me in any slot and day this month.
He said all the slots are taken but he can put me tentatively for 4 PM on March 31st.
So far app still shows same delivery date and time.

Few suggestions.
As soon as your VIN is assigned, text SA to put you in for delivery even without completing Insurance and payment steps.
My SA emailed me on Friday night that VIN is assigned but text didn't come until Saturday morning so keep an eye out on Email and aText.
For some reason timing on App, web and communication via text is not in sync so don't rely on one or the other.
It seems SAs know before even vin assigned text is sent or App is updated so best to keep checking with SAs.

I am looking forward to delivery date and hopefully it goes smooth but I do expect some delays considering their all delivery time slots are taken and probably overbooked too specially it MAY be last day for credit if IRS changes guidelines.
If there is a will there is a way 😀 try to be persuasive, they want to close your sale by 31st because it’s to their benefit as well. You can say your on vacation from so and so date and that anything beyond this date will not work for me. They will make it happen 😉

Similar dates here, although I did edit my order two days after receiving the VIN-expected text. Their algorithm, at least, is trying really hard to sell me a Model Y in Q1. :)

1679926759413.png

Last edited:
Hello All. Took delivery of MYLR White/Black interior on Friday 3/26/2023. Delivery went very smooth. small scratch on the fender black color rim. SC agreed to replace it. Otherwise I just listed gaps issues, but it does not seems to be huge for me. Driven already for 2 days, absolutely no issues found. Happy with the car so far.
As you know, all MY have 2 "holes" on each sides of the trunk. I filled these holes with accessory as storage box covered with the same carpet kind of material as MY, as a surprise it did reduced sound comes from the back, especially the more road and booming noice. you may try to buy that accessory to have it as a (a) good storage accessory and (b) sound reducing purposes.
But, I noticed MY is fully sealed in such a way, if we are driver with all doors and windows closed, we cannot hear a person talk or scream from the outside - such a think insulation.
Thank you all for great contributions and thoughts. I really enjoyed so far.
P.S: My care is Freemont build, took delivery at Princeton, NJ delivery center. Car did come with Matrix headlights, trunk cover. but no PPF or front mudflaps.

Hello All. Took delivery of MYLR White/Black interior on Friday 3/26/2023. Delivery went very smooth. small scratch on the fender black color rim. SC agreed to replace it. Otherwise I just listed gaps issues, but it does not seems to be huge for me. Driven already for 2 days, absolutely no issues found. Happy with the car so far.
As you know, all MY have 2 "holes" on each sides of the trunk. I filled these holes with accessory as storage box covered with the same carpet kind of material as MY, as a surprise it did reduced sound comes from the back, especially the more road and booming noice. you may try to buy that accessory to have it as a (a) good storage accessory and (b) sound reducing purposes.
But, I noticed MY is fully sealed in such a way, if we are driver with all doors and windows closed, we cannot hear a person talk or scream from the outside - such a think insulation.
Thank you all for great contributions and thoughts. I really enjoyed so far.
P.S: My care is Freemont build, took delivery at Princeton, NJ delivery center. Car did come with Matrix headlights, trunk cover. but no PPF or front mudflaps.
When was your Order Date (OD)?

EDD only pushed to 3/27-3/31 from 3/26-3/31. Still no VIN. I'm expecting another push back, not sure what's going on with the Texas orders. Also almost one month past the date I received a text from Tesla to expect a VIN in 1-2 weeks lol
Same here. OD 1/17 with EDD 3/29-3/31. No VIN, no text. I don't think they can deliver in next 2/3 days for Texas orders.

... I do expect some delays considering their all delivery time slots are taken and probably overbooked too specially it MAY be last day for credit if IRS changes guidelines.

I've suspected that this is just a sales "closing strategy" and to give people the reason to "BUY NOW" ... At this point, I am VERY comfortable to not taking a car before 3/31 rush. I am also comfortable that I will get the $7,500 tax credit when I take delivery of my car (whenever it shows up), in light of the report

Ok so my experience seems to be different than what I've seen here so far.

Just got a text stating they expect my care to be built in the next 1 to 2 days and that I will get my VIN as soon as my car is built. I was told to go ahead and schedule a tentative delivery appointment and that they will contact me to reschedule if there is a delay in shipping or my car doesn't pass inspection. So I went online to schedule Thursday. Guess my car is going to be a Fremont build since it should only take about 3 hours to get from Fremont to Rocklin where I will be getting my car. Strange that I have a delivery Appt but no VIN. but this is getting exciting.