Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I want the MY more than the RAV4H. My wife has not driven the RAV4H but has reservations after driving the MY (view through rear window and all the tech). I have discussed with her how the vehicle is set it an forget it with the profiles, etc. and voice control so you do not have to really touch the screen much (I barely touch it).

We shall see. Hopefully, Tesla steps up and the MY comes in first.
You know you're situation better than any of us do/would - best of luck to you in getting the MY.

Reactions: Skunis and erktrek
While I continue to wait for a VIN. Does anyone know if there is a benefit of getting the corded mobile charger versus the mobile charger with the changeable plug styles? does the corded one charge faster?
I have only ever used the mobile charger with the changeable plug but looking to pick up another for the new Y and was wondering if there was a reason to buy the corded one.

My pickup date is on 2/1 but my bank is Ally and it takes 7-10 days to get a Cashier's Check from them. Have anyone tried paying with Plaid on the day of the delivery with Ally?

Also the Pay button on Make Your Final Payment page is greyed out right now. It's it because I have a trade-in that is currently being processed?
Were you able to pay via the app on delivery day?

I'd get the Mobile Charger as it gives you the ability to change plugs... although Tesla's plugs are ridiculously pricey. It does depend on what you need though.

Nvmnd - I think you could get either connector looking at it now.

One trick I'm trying is use the Nema 14-50 plug with the mobile charger + bought a bunch of less expensive 14-50r adapters to the other plugs I want.. you can get those on Amazon for fairly cheap including an extension cord if needed.

I'm now kind of confused about the difference between the two chargers.. I have the "Mobile Connector" apparently and I guess the corded one is hard-wired to a 14-50?.
I would go with the Mobile Charger. The corded one is not even in stock. However, the corded one you cannot change plug so you are stuck with NEMA 14-50. The Mobile Charger can change plugs and it comes with one NEMA 14-50 and one NEMA 5-15 which gives you options. If you need more plug options there is a kit for that as well.

I would go with the Mobile Charger. The corded one is not even in stock. However, the corded one you cannot change plug so you are stuck with NEMA 14-50. The Mobile Charger can change plugs and it comes with one NEMA 14-50 and one NEMA 5-15 which gives you options. If you need more plug options there is a kit for that as well.
Apologies I deleted my prior post because some of my advice would have been very bad...

Agree!!! Mobile charger is the one to get..

I have the mobile charger and bought some adapters for the 14-50p extension instead of forking over another $230 for the other adapters.

These appear to be EV charging compatible so I think I'm okay.

I did go a little crazy of course.

Last edited:
Well, I want the MY more than the RAV4H. My wife has not driven the RAV4H but has reservations after driving the MY (view through rear window and all the tech). I have discussed with her how the vehicle is set it an forget it with the profiles, etc. and voice control so you do not have to really touch the screen much (I barely touch it).

We shall see. Hopefully, Tesla steps up and the MY comes in first.
I considered the RAV4-H and did a test drive last year. As I recall, it also has a mail slot for a rear window like the MY.

Initially I was concerned about the MY rear visibility, but I got more comfortable because I learned to trust the backup camera when backing up. I never look at the backup camera view on the screen while driving forward. I prefer to use the rear view mirror, and I find the side windows give very good visibility for lane changes.

One thing that helps is to adjust the rear view mirror to maximize the view. Do not center the rear window in the mirror. It's better to set the mirror so when you look in the mirror, the top edge of the mirror is in line with the top edge of the rear window, with a fair amount of the mirror showing the area below the rear window. Can't explain the parallax phenomenon underlying this, but it does helps you see lower out the back. This video explains it.

Last edited:
Reactions: starise
While I continue to wait for a VIN. Does anyone know if there is a benefit of getting the corded mobile charger versus the mobile charger with the changeable plug styles? does the corded one charge faster?
I have only ever used the mobile charger with the changeable plug but looking to pick up another for the new Y and was wondering if there was a reason to buy the corded one.
Ideally, you'd have both a Wall Connector and Mobile Connector. The WC can charge 50% faster than the MC. The WC will add about 44 miles of range per hour to a Model Y in case you need the fastest possible charging at home. The MC will add about 30 miles of range per hour, but even that's plenty for a full charge overnight or a typical daily commute in just over an hour - and, you can take it with you.

It's also not a bad idea to have two "chargers" (the charger is actually built into the vehicle - the devices that most people call "chargers" are actually connectors) so you'll have a backup in case one fails, which is particularly important if you have to rely almost exclusively on charging at home.

For redundancy, I'd recommend either two MCs or one MC and one WC. If I could only choose one, I'd choose a MC since that can be used both at home and while traveling - and the WC isn't portable. :)