Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me personally, and maybe zroger feels the same, what frustrates me the most is that damn "expect a VIN in 1-2 weeks" text. Had I not received that I would be fine waiting. But as soon as I got that text my expectations were exactly that, a VIN in 1-2 weeks. Now I'm going on week 5 into 6 since I received that text with no communication at all.
I would feel the same way. What did Tesla say after those 2 weeks were up? Nevermind? :(

I would feel the same way. What did Tesla say after those 2 weeks were up? Nevermind? :(
I reached out via text and got a long winded reply with nothing really answered, basically that they (SA's) have no control on EDD and that it is based on production. Unfortunately, the few times I have talked with anyone it has been pretty much useless. No idea why I got the text if they weren't going to follow through. I would have been ok if they straight up told me that they were trying to pump their numbers for the quarter. I would have been frustrated still, but at least I would know what is going on. Being totally in the dark and then being expected to take delivery on their time vs mine is not a great customer experience.

Reactions: erktrek and Skunis
This is what kills me. My car, my build exactly but it is in Texas!

1680809564309.png

I reached out via text and got a long winded reply with nothing really answered, basically that they (SA's) have no control on EDD and that it is based on production. Unfortunately, the few times I have talked with anyone it has been pretty much useless. No idea why I got the text if they weren't going to follow through. I would have been ok if they straight up told me that they were trying to pump their numbers for the quarter. I would have been frustrated still, but at least I would know what is going on. Being totally in the dark and then being expected to take delivery on their time vs mine is not a great customer experience.
I am sure you have seen them on waitingfortesla but if you want the 19s instead they have 4 in Texas right now.

Reactions: erktrek
For me personally, and maybe zroger feels the same, what frustrates me the most is that damn "expect a VIN in 1-2 weeks" text. Had I not received that I would be fine waiting. But as soon as I got that text my expectations were exactly that, a VIN in 1-2 weeks. Now I'm going on week 5 into 6 since I received that text with no communication at all.
I can't complain too loudly about that in my case since I received that text on Feb 28 then turned around and edited my order two days later. Still, though...

waiting-titanic.gif

This is what kills me. My car, my build exactly but it is in Texas!

View attachment 925709
I've seen this multiple times. I don't understand putting a vehicle that is an exact match for an existing sale into inventory instead of delivering it to the person who already ordered. Oh, wait... Yes, I do! If they put it into inventory, then someone will buy it within minutes for $58,990 instead of the $56,990 that I ordered it for. :) $$$

I can't complain too loudly about that in my case since I received that text on Feb 28 then turned around and edited my order two days later. Still, though...

View attachment 925712

I've seen this multiple times. I don't understand putting a vehicle that is an exact match for an existing sale into inventory instead of delivering it to the person who already ordered. Oh, wait... Yes, I do! If they put it into inventory, then someone will buy it within minutes for $58,990 instead of the $56,990 that I ordered it for. :) $$$
Yep my exact match is in Texas as well (and nowhere else).. I wonder if an East Coast shipment got borked somehow.. 🤔

I mean at least they text you lol my only updates are in the app.

I was finally chosen.

MYLR Blue / Hitch / 19s
OD: 1/22
Profile Completion:1/23
1/23 1st EDD Jan-Mar
1/26: 2nd EDD 3/12-3/31
2/14: 3rd EDD 3/27-3/31
2/22 4th EDD 3/25-3/31
2/28 5th EDD 3/20-3/31
3/7 6th EDD 3/17-3/31
3/17 EDD STILL 3/17-3/31
3/18 7th EDD 4/13-5/18
3/25 TEXT TO REAPPLY + 8th EDD 4/9-5/7
4/6/2023 VIN + Delivery Appointment 4/10/2023
How long after you got assigned a VIN did they notify you about an appt? I got a VIN 4/4 but I don't seem to get texts from them so wondering if I'm missing requests to set an appt.

How long after you got assigned a VIN did they notify you about an appt? I got a VIN 4/4 but I don't seem to get texts from them so wondering if I'm missing requests to set an appt.
I got my VIN on Monday and still haven't gotten a text/noti to schedule but I think that's just because the car is still in transit or just not close enough to schedule something yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jesse75
I've listened to different opinions and even changed my own opinions on this over time, but I'm becoming convinced that these delivery schedules are largely, if not wholly driven by profit margin. At the current demand and production, it shouldn't take 3+ months to get a Model Y, but here we are.

At one point, I suspected transportation bottlenecks were to blame, but I don't see storage lots overflowing at Austin or Fremont. These 1,000+ Model Ys they're making every day are going somewhere.

I just get the dreaded suspicion that newer orders at higher prices are being prioritized and only if and when demand slows down will Tesla start delivering lower-priced orders that were placed from Jan 12 to Feb 4 which may not happen unless the $7,500 tax credit reduces or ends on Apr 18.

I believe Tesla dropped the prices too much on Jan 12 and they're trying to discourage those lowest-margin orders that are still outstanding by introducing artificial delays. From a profit standpoint, it's better if a low-margin buyer cancels their order so that vehicle can go to a higher-margin buyer. There's enough demand so that even if Tesla pisses off tens of thousands of buyers, there are even more buyers waiting in line to pay a higher price.

If I canceled my order, this would not be a "lost sale" because my vehicle will be sold to someone else. I would not be a "lost customer" because I was never a Tesla customer to begin with - I am only a prospective customer until I actually take delivery.

From a buyer's perspective, this is maddening, but to a for-profit corporation - it's just business. If I were Tesla, I'd probably make the same decisions they are - do what's best for the financial benefit of the company and its investors even if that means not gaining some new customers.

It's easy to think, "Yeah, but if Tesla would just deliver the car I ordered at the price I agreed to pay in a fair amount of time, I'd be a happy camper and would be more inclined to buy more Teslas in the future, but if they sit on my order in an attempt to get me to pay more than I originally agreed to, I'll take my business elsewhere." And, that may be true, but churn happens with all brands.

SunShades - check!
Under Seat Outlet Covers - ?? What ?? these are a thing ???
Rubber Seal - ?? What ?? these are a thing ???
SSD - order in progress... so check!
USB Hub - Nope, have an organizer but will check it out thanks!!!
Screen Shield - check!
J1772 adapter with Locking Rings? - check!! (did not realize MYLRs come with an adapter)
I am in no way associated with nor endorsing the following products:

Under Seat Air Outlet Cover

Front Trunk Hood Rubber Seal

USB Hub

J1772 Adapter Ring Lock

Tesla Heads up Display Mini HUD

• Informative
I've tried all the usual techniques including

• Getting angry
  • Getting frustrated
  • Getting disappointed
  • Saying nice things about Mister Musk
  • Praying
  • Dreaming
  • Cursing
  • Crossing my fingers
  • Adding $3,000 worth of options to my original order
  • Helping old ladies cross the street

So far, all of these have only delayed my order. :)

I haven't tried a seance, bought an ouija board, or played Jumanji...yet.

When buying a Tesla you must wait
Until the dice read five/eight...

Hopefully with an outlet that can sustain that level of heat/power draw (as mentioned in the video I linked)

Hubbell or Bryant... here's my older post.

Reactions: LetsGoElectric
I was finally chosen.

MYLR Blue / Hitch / 19s
OD: 1/22
Profile Completion:1/23
1/23 1st EDD Jan-Mar
1/26: 2nd EDD 3/12-3/31
2/14: 3rd EDD 3/27-3/31
2/22 4th EDD 3/25-3/31
2/28 5th EDD 3/20-3/31
3/7 6th EDD 3/17-3/31
3/17 EDD STILL 3/17-3/31
3/18 7th EDD 4/13-5/18
3/25 TEXT TO REAPPLY + 8th EDD 4/9-5/7
4/6/2023 VIN + Delivery Appointment 4/10/2023

• Funny
I've listened to different opinions and even changed my own opinions on this over time, but I'm becoming convinced that these delivery schedules are largely, if not wholly driven by profit margin. At the current demand and production, it shouldn't take 3+ months to get a Model Y, but here we are.

At one point, I suspected transportation bottlenecks were to blame, but I don't see storage lots overflowing at Austin or Fremont. These 1,000+ Model Ys they're making every day are going somewhere.

I just get the dreaded suspicion that newer orders at higher prices are being prioritized and only if and when demand slows down will Tesla start delivering lower-priced orders that were placed from Jan 12 to Feb 4 which may not happen unless the $7,500 tax credit reduces or ends on Apr 18.

I believe Tesla dropped the prices too much on Jan 12 and they're trying to discourage those lowest-margin orders that are still outstanding by introducing artificial delays. From a profit standpoint, it's better if a low-margin buyer cancels their order so that vehicle can go to a higher-margin buyer. There's enough demand so that even if Tesla pisses off tens of thousands of buyers, there are even more buyers waiting in line to pay a higher price.

If I canceled my order, this would not be a "lost sale" because my vehicle will be sold to someone else. I would not be a "lost customer" because I was never a Tesla customer to begin with - I am only a prospective customer until I actually take delivery.

From a buyer's perspective, this is maddening, but to a for-profit corporation - it's just business. If I were Tesla, I'd probably make the same decisions they are - do what's best for the financial benefit of the company and its investors even if that means not gaining some new customers.

It's easy to think, "Yeah, but if Tesla would just deliver the car I ordered at the price I agreed to pay in a fair amount of time, I'd be a happy camper and would be more inclined to buy more Teslas in the future, but if they sit on my order in an attempt to get me to pay more than I originally agreed to, I'll take my business elsewhere." And, that may be true, but churn happens with all brands.
Largely agree. Also, the grass isn't greener on the other side IMO considering other EVs -- in terms of (current) price / range and software, not many options out there. If you're looking at a hybrid, you'll experience a combination of dealer mark ups, unwanted options, and padding of dealer installed options.

I could turn around and purchase a new RX Hybrid, but it will have a $5k "market adjustment" on top of MSRP and include thousands of $ of useless options (for me).