Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know, but the reason I made a visual representation of my EDDs was to make it easier to spot a trend. After a dozen and a half updates, a hint of a pattern is beginning to emerge. The original Jan-Mar EDD on order day was, of course, just a general range. The first update to Mar 3-31 was probably a more accurate best guess with each subsequent update getting closer to reality. I think had I not edited my order on Mar 2, I may have had the vehicle around Mar 7-16, but my edit recalculated the EDD to the end of March. When it became apparent to the algorithm that the vehicle couldn't be pushed out by the end of the quarter, it recalculated a wider and later range from Apr 2-16 before narrowing. I suspect that my turn may be coming up soon, but because of the effects of other orders and transportation logistics on my order, the range keeps sliding a day into the future until all the planets align just right then I'll get a VIN and the process will wrap up relatively quickly. Or, the EDD could widen and slide far into the future as has happened for some others. :)
Im not sure at all how it works, SA's have told me its based on production. Back in February my EDD updated to 2/10-2/19 and moved up as the days went by just like it is doing now. It did that until March then held a two week window until it shrunk down to 5 days at the end of March to 3/26-3/31. After that passed by it gave me a 4/8-5/6 window until it changed back to the 9 day window on 4/3 to 4/3-4/12. It is now doing the 9 day window hold again lol. I wish I had kept track better but I was trying to forget about it and not refresh my app every 5 min. I still refreshed the app every 5 min anyway. 😆

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
Wait, how are you doing that without going through the charger first?

PM me if needed.
If your MY order was less than $55k and you are purchasing in NJ, the $2k should automatically be taken off when looking at the final price breakdown (it will show something like "NJ state rebate").

The charger tax credit is different from the one mentioned. In NJ, you can get either a $4k state incentive for EV purchase under $45k or $2k for EV purchase between $45k and $55k.

Last edited:
If your MY order was less than $55k and you are purchasing in NJ, the $2k should automatically be taken off when looking at the final price breakdown (it will show something like "NJ state rebate").

Have to say despite a lot of downsides (taxes, taxes, taxes) NJ has definitely stepped up with regards to promoting EV adoption. It's very cool. No sales tax, EV and charger incentives.. etc.

I can see this car is available in Austin and it’s exactly matched my car built order. Do I need to contact Tesla?

I would order it immediately then cancel my other order if I were you...before I decide I don't need a tow hitch and steal it from you. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: imgcs and erktrek
Thanks! After seeing all the posts in this forum and Reddit, I expected a record breaking quarter. They barely reached the target in Q1. M3 sales are already slow and they will drop drastically after April 17th. MY demand is also slowing down now. Musk mentioned that 2 million deliveries would be achievable by the end of 2023. I don't see how it is possible without a price cut. They may need to cut more prices again to increase the demand.
:) Given the economy and possible recession, they will cut more prices this year.

Reactions: erktrek
Im not sure at all how it works, SA's have told me its based on production. Back in February my EDD updated to 2/10-2/19 and moved up as the days went by just like it is doing now. It did that until March then held a two week window until it shrunk down to 5 days at the end of March to 3/26-3/31. After that passed by it gave me a 4/8-5/6 window until it changed back to the 9 day window on 4/3 to 4/3-4/12. It is now doing the 9 day window hold again lol. I wish I had kept track better but I was trying to forget about it and not refresh my app every 5 min. I still refreshed the app every 5 min anyway. 😆
I'm a repeat Honda customer. Similar to Tesla, they only build in batches of identical vehicles and they don't offer individual or packaged options - you pick a trim which determines what features the vehicle has and color combination and that's it - you don't even get to choose things like wheels since those are determined by trim level. This reduces the number of permutations from hundreds or even thousands to only tens. The fewer variants that exist improves manufacturing efficiency and profit and quality due in part to repeatability.

Unlike some automakers such as Ford or BMW that let you special order a vehicle which they build specifically for you, Honda and Tesla wait until they have enough orders to justify a production run of a particular build. Once that build of several to tens or possibly even hundreds of vehicles is complete, they get matched to buyers and scheduled for transport.

Here's where things can get crazy, though. Let's say Tesla accumulates 120 orders for a black MYLR with 7 white seats and a tow hitch. They schedule those for production, but the wheel supplier can't meet demand for the 120 sets of 19" wheels and they only get 100 sets. Tesla could choose to install 20" wheels and send those vehicles to inventory or they could decide to build only 100 vehicles of that combination for moving on to the next. The result is that 20 of those 120 buyers are going to get their orders delayed. On the flip side, a supplier might be able to deliver certain parts like a tow hitch in greater quantities and/or more quickly than originally anticipated which can lead to some orders getting delivered more quickly than expected.

If all Model Ys were identical and there were no choices of color, seating configuration, wheels, trim, or tow hitch, this process could be much easier and appear to be more fair, but everybody wants something different. Even then, you still have to figure out the most cost-effective way to deliver those vehicles to their ultimate destinations. Tesla is at the mercy of third party rail and OTR carriers to handle this.

It's astonishing that it works as well as it does - no matter how discombobulated it may seem.

Great suggestion. Thanks.
Main issue is it's located behind a shelf area. It's always something's isn't it? I could still make it work.I want to see if it's hot with my meter.
Prior homeowners attempted washer dryer hookup in garage. Lines burst. It was a disaster.
You can move it to another place in the garage fairly easily, especially if you don't mind running conduit or MC cable on the wall. I always encourage people to locate the EVSE in a convenient spot. Otherwise you're either coiling and uncoiling the cable constantly, or you're leaving it stretched across your garage.

It looks like the Model Y Standard Range can now be custom ordered on the Tesla website for $49,990. It seems like this option is the pretty much the same as the LR except for the the range obviously (279 miles vs. 330 miles). I believe the SR has dual motors as well. I've been waiting for an LR since early February, but I'm considering switching to the SR. It seems like this would likely get delivered earlier, too. Is anyone else thinking about this as well? I'm not planning on taking a lot of long road trips so I'm wondering if the additional range is worth the extra $3K?

Reactions: HitchHiker71
... I'm not planning on taking a lot of long road trips so I'm wondering if the additional range is worth the extra $3K?
Personally, I'd have to see at least a $5-7K price difference before I'd consider it. I certainly wouldn't make the switch just to get the car earlier, but it kinda depends on your personal values and circumstances. One thing to remember is it isn't only about the range when new, it's about the range 4-5 years down the road when you've had 10-20% battery degradation.

I think the battery care is something to think about. The SR wants to be charged to 100% on a daily basis for longest battery life, whereas the LR probably shouldn't be charged over 80% unless you need the range and it doesn't matter if it's left at a partial charge for days/weeks. So if you have a garage, plan to plug in every day, and generally don't exceed the range often- SR may be a better choice. If you live somewhere you can't plug it in every night, or you need every bit of range, maybe LR is a better choice.

Consider that 80% of 330 miles is 264 miles so an SR charged to 100% has more range than an LR charged to 80%.

Personally I opted for LR because I'm a bit of a nomad, move with the seasons, and often don't have a place to plug in overnight. So for me it's better to have a battery that doesn't prefer to be charged to 100% every night. Also, I'm not a battery expert, so take this with a grain of salt and search for some reliable sources if this impacts your decision.

Edit: davewill makes a good point. The range down the road with battery degradation is something to consider. I haven't read what the expected changes in range degradation between the two battery technologies will be down the road, so no idea which one will be healthier after 4-5 years.
Does the Model Y SR have an LFP battery like the Model 3 SR? I thought it has the same battery as the LR.

I think the battery care is something to think about. The SR wants to be charged to 100% on a daily basis for longest battery life, whereas the LR probably shouldn't be charged over 80% unless you need the range and it doesn't matter if it's left at a partial charge for days/weeks.
You're thinking of models with LFP cells - no Model Ys here have those.

Does the Model Y SR have an LFP battery like the Model 3 SR? I thought it has the same battery as the LR.
The MYAWD uses 4680 structural cells. The other MYs use 2170 non-structural cells. The charge for both should be kept below 90% for daily use per Tesla.

Last edited:
You're thinking of models with LFP cells - no Model Ys here have those.

The MYAWD uses 4680 structural cells. The other MYs use 2170 non-structural cells. The charge for both should be kept below 90% for daily use per Tesla.
Ah see, as I thought I probably didn't know what I was talking about lol I thought the 4680 was LFP.

Nevermind me, continue on as you were haha sorry. I deleted that post so as not to spread mis-information and confuse people. Thank you both for correcting me!

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
VIN assigned! Austin build. Here's the update:

MYLR5 MSM/Black/19"/no options

OD: 1/27
EDD 1: Jan - Mar
EDD 2 (1/31): 3/26 - 3/31
EDD 3 (2/14): 3/27 - 3/31
EDD 4 (3/4): 4/19 - 5/24
EDD 5 (3/22): 3/31 - 4/14
EDD 6 (4/1): 4/1 - 4/13
EDD 7 (4/2): 4/2 - 4/13