Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat but my end date doesn't change just the first date.

When I placed my order I never thought it would take this long. I thought I was early enough in the price drop wave that I would have got it before the end of March. I guess I was wrong.

I ordered a 3 in 2020, and it took 49 days, as of now it would be 92 days if I take delivery on 4/18.

Seattle area

OD 1/17
EDD 1 - 2/16-3/16
EDD 2 - 3/1-3/29
EDD 3 - 3/6-3/20
EDD 4 - 3/26-3/31
EDD 5 - 3/28-3/31
EDD 6 - 3/31-4/28 (on 3/22)
EDD 7 - 4/4-4/18 on (3/29)
EDD 8 - 4/5-4/18
EDD 9 - 4/6-4/18
EDD 10 - 4/7-4/18 (Today 4/7)

Still waiting on VIN

Reactions: Dr.O and zroger73
Yes cars that are in transit are considered as part of inventory, same with cars sitting at the factory waiting for transport.

I guess the definition of "inventory" varies depending upon what you are talking about. The trouble is on waitingfortesla and in Tesla's Inventory from their website do not include at the factory models and ones in transit but rather on prem at the showroom for the most part. This excludes a large bunch of vehicles.

Reactions: zroger73
Big update! Checked inventory randomly because I have crippling anxiety and there just happened to be a MYLR W/W 20" coming to the Phoenix area, and I went ahead and snagged it! Picking it up next week on 4/11. Fremont build, no other options beyond the above mentioned.

Initially ordered a MYP in hopes of a faster delivery (that def didn't happen), but I'm super happy to be getting a MYLR. White interior will stand out a bit from the pack, and even though I live on the surface of the sun I can pretend that the white interior is less hot and that I'm in an igloo while I roast alive under a glass roof.

Didn't care about the 20" wheels but range is only 12 miles difference between the inductions and geminis so I imagine road trip charging will be exactly the same, and at least these tires can be rotated unlike the uberturbines on the MYP.

Sounds like people have had good luck with the acceleration boost if they really need extra over the MYLR's acceleration, so that's always an option.

A little over two months from my order date. Not my initial configuration, but I'm thrilled to be getting it as my current car is just about to croak.

I'm in the same boat but my end date doesn't change just the first date.

When I placed my order I never thought it would take this long. I thought I was early enough in the price drop wave that I would have got it before the end of March. I guess I was wrong.

I ordered a 3 in 2020, and it took 49 days, as of now it would be 92 days if I take delivery on 4/18.

Seattle area

OD 1/17
EDD 1 - 2/16-3/16
EDD 2 - 3/1-3/29
EDD 3 - 3/6-3/20
EDD 4 - 3/26-3/31
EDD 5 - 3/28-3/31
EDD 6 - 3/31-4/28 (on 3/22)
EDD 7 - 4/4-4/18 on (3/29)
EDD 8 - 4/5-4/18
EDD 9 - 4/6-4/18
EDD 10 - 4/7-4/18 (Today 4/7)

Still waiting on VIN
UPDATE!!!!!!
I just check and I now have a VIN! No text or anything I just happened to check and my EED updated as well.

New EDD 11 - 4/11-4/18 (Now with VIN)

UPDATE!!!!!!
I just check and I now have a VIN! No text or anything I just happened to check and my EED updated as well.

New EDD 11 - 4/11-4/18 (Now with VIN)
Nice!! I am hoping I'll get the same update by Monday 4/7
Looks like they are finally fulfilling our orders at the Pacific Northwest - We all have the same order date.

This is the most frustrating part to me...my exact build is currently in inventory in Dallas - two hours from me which is only 40 miles closer to Austin than Tyler. :) By all rights, that vehicle should have been delivered to Tyler and not Dallas. That also shows me that, yet again, they've made a batch of this build and put the vehicle in inventory instead of selling it to me. Weird.

This is the most frustrating part to me...my exact build is currently in inventory in Dallas - two hours from me which is only 40 miles closer to Austin than Tyler. :) By all rights, that vehicle should have been delivered to Tyler and not Dallas. That also shows me that, yet again, they've made a batch of this build and putting the vehicle in inventory instead of selling it to me. Weird.

They can deliver it to you right?

WaitingForTesla shows that it was built today and is currently in transit. On hold with Tesla. It'll probably be gone by the time someone answers. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: erktrek
WaitingForTesla shows that it was built today and is currently in transit. On hold with Tesla. It'll probably be gone by the time someone answers. ;)

Alternatively, you can just take the car by paying $250 more without losing the car (now that the price is back down )

I think the reality is... your car VIN will be assigned within the next 48 hrs.

1/24 Odered MYLR (Ext White/Int Black/19" wheels/5 seat/basic autopilot)
Orange County,CA
1/24 EDD Jan-Mar 2023
1/25 EDD 3/22-3/31
2/4 EDD 3/19-3/31
2/28 EDD 3/18-3/31
3/7 EDD 4/2-5/7
3/12 EDD 3/25-3/31
3/22 EDD 3/31-4/14

3/25 VIN Assigned EDD 4/6-4/12 (PA095xxx)
3/30 EDD 4/1-4/10
4/2 EDD 4/4-4/10

4/7 - Delivered

Austin build
4D1 Rear motor
Cargo cover was included

Overall satisfied with the build. Frunk, trunk, door gaps looked fine and reasonable based on other's. Only two major issues:
(1) interior front door panel alignment is off for both front doors, is this normal/acceptable?
(2) paint scratches on the interior of the passenger door

Attachments

• Front View.jpg
    Front View.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Door Panel Interior.jpeg
    Door Panel Interior.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Door Scratch.jpeg
    Door Scratch.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Pillar gap 1.jpeg
    Pillar gap 1.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Pillar gap 2.jpeg
    Pillar gap 2.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Door Panel.jpeg
    Door Panel.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 64
  • rear corner gaps.jpeg
    rear corner gaps.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 60
Alternatively, you can just take the car by paying $250 more without losing the car (now that the price is back down )

I think the reality is... your car VIN will be assigned within the next 48 hrs.

I spoke to a nice guy with Tesla who lives in Dallas and has been to Tyler many times. He said the vehicle has been built and is at a rail yard in Austin. It is going to Dallas and that cannot be changed. He said if I wanted to reserve that one, he could assign this one to me and I wouldn't have to pay another order fee. The downside is that I would have to find a ride to Dallas (probably next week). I decided to wait for one to be delivered to Tyler.

I did have to chuckle when he made the comment that "the delivery dates in the app are usually pretty accurate" when I asked about the likelihood of my VIN being assigned soon. :)

Found this old article to locate TESLA VIN. I already have a VIN and not sure if this will work withs others who have not got their VIN. Worth a try. Wished I had found this earlier, not that it would have made my VIN assignment any faster but, just some satisfaction. Please don't take this any confirmation of any sort, as it is ultimately upto Tesla to assign VIN number and can change anytime.

Reactions: erktrek
1/24 Odered MYLR (Ext White/Int Black/19" wheels/5 seat/basic autopilot)
Orange County,CA
1/24 EDD Jan-Mar 2023
1/25 EDD 3/22-3/31
2/4 EDD 3/19-3/31
2/28 EDD 3/18-3/31
3/7 EDD 4/2-5/7
3/12 EDD 3/25-3/31
3/22 EDD 3/31-4/14

3/25 VIN Assigned EDD 4/6-4/12 (PA095xxx)
3/30 EDD 4/1-4/10
4/2 EDD 4/4-4/10

4/7 - Delivered

Austin build
4D1 Rear motor
Cargo cover was included

Overall satisfied with the build. Frunk, trunk, door gaps looked fine and reasonable based on other's. Only two major issues:
(1) interior front door panel alignment is off for both front doors, is this normal/acceptable?
(2) paint scratches on the interior of the passenger door
Totally normal! And you hit the jackpot with austin build 4d1 motor!

As there has been a surge of comments today along the lines of "why is there a car in inventory at location X that matches my exact order!?", I thought I'd ask Chat GPT this question for fun:

Q: Why do some tesla builds go into inventory somewhere rather than being delivered to fill an existing customer order which is an exact match?
Tesla, like other automakers, builds cars for inventory in addition to fulfilling custom orders. There can be several reasons why a Tesla build might go into inventory instead of being delivered to fill an existing customer order, even if it's an exact match. Some of these reasons include:

1. Geographic location: Tesla builds cars in batches for specific regions. A vehicle that matches a customer's order may be produced, but it could be in a different region, making it logistically inefficient or expensive to transport to the customer.
  2. Production planning: To optimize production efficiency, Tesla may produce a batch of vehicles with similar configurations at once, even if there are no immediate matching orders. These vehicles then go into inventory and are available for sale to new customers or as test drive vehicles at Tesla stores.
  3. Cancellations and order changes: Customers may cancel or modify their orders after production has started, resulting in completed vehicles that no longer have a corresponding customer. These vehicles then become available in Tesla's inventory.
  4. Demo and loaner vehicles: Tesla may allocate some vehicles to be used as demo models or loaner cars for service centers. These vehicles may eventually be sold as inventory or certified pre-owned (CPO) vehicles after they've been used for a certain period or mileage.
  5. Order prioritization: Tesla might prioritize the production and delivery of certain vehicles based on factors such as demand, profitability, or strategic goals. For example, Tesla could prioritize the production of higher-margin variants, resulting in lower-margin configurations being temporarily placed in inventory.
In summary, Tesla's production and delivery process is a complex operation that needs to balance multiple factors, such as customer demand, production efficiency, and logistical constraints. Sometimes, this may result in vehicles being placed in inventory instead of immediately fulfilling existing customer orders, even if they are an exact match.
Also, still wondering if @Skunis will get the Model Y, get the Rav4, or get the Model Y and a divorce ;)

After two and a half months on this roller coaster, I finally decided I've had enough whiplash. I called Tesla back and had the Dallas-bound vehicle assigned to my order. I finally have a VIN even though I had to locate the vehicle myself and will have to travel farther to pick it up. I'll need to find a ride to Dallas - my delivery appointment has been scheduled for the evening of April 12. I could have waited until a match showed up in Tyler, but I'm tired of the uncertainty at this point and need to get on with living life instead of tending to the blisters on my thumb caused by feverishly swiping my smartphone's screen to check for updates all day long. :)

1680903392976.png

Last edited:
As there has been a surge of comments today along the lines of "why is there a car in inventory at location X that matches my exact order!?", I thought I'd ask Chat GPT this question for fun:

Q: Why do some tesla builds go into inventory somewhere rather than being delivered to fill an existing customer order which is an exact match?

Also, still wondering if @Skunis will get the Model Y, get the Rav4, or get the Model Y and a divorce ;)
Still married! Dealer never emailed me spec sheet on the RAV4h. Holding pattern there. I figure if the MY comes in first we go that way. :)