Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placed my order for a MYLR on April 6. Price dropped that evening, which they are honoring. I just got a VIN assigned but no firm date. Just says April 29-May 7. Will have my Wall Connector installed by then so I will be ready to go. Bring it on!
What is your build?

I am getting a little frustrated. Happy for you but frustrated that I have an OD from almost 3 months ago (1/29) and still have no VIN.

I just spoke to someone at the Tesla offices (not the service center I'm picking up from) he was saying there is some sort of disconnect between Tesla and the Charge up program. He was saying they are looking at each reservation on a case by case basis to see who is eligible. I'm hopeful they resolve it but who knows anymore.
That is good to hear. Did you get the person's name you spoke with?

I figured that was the case. They do not want to be on the hook promising a rebate in digital paperwork and then not be able to provide that rebate.

So, if you get your OD is before 4/17 and your DD is on or before 5/1, my guess is that you are eligible.

Just a few updates:

1. Today is my brother-in-law's big day - he drives 3.5 hours to Houston to take delivery of his new Model Y. I'm excited for him because I know he's going to love it! UPDATE: My brother just messaged me saying he has "some other news" regarding my BIL's Tesla, but he'll "email me because there's a lot to say". 😨

2. I was considering selling my 2021 Honda Ridgeline (my daily driver that the Model Y replaced) to Carvana, but a fellow Ridgeline forum member wanted to buy it for the same price. We began discussing the logistics of how to get the vehicle from Texas to California then I got a call from a local Kia dealership who offered more for it. He understood the benefits of selling it locally for a higher amount, so I drove it to the dealer yesterday afternoon. 20 minutes after I arrived, I was given a check and a ride home. I was very pleased with the selling price considering it needed needed new tires and had a cracked windshield and hail damage.

View attachment 929482

3. I now have 465 miles on my Model Y and I'm absolutely loving it. It was definitely worth all the stress and frustration, even though it might have been impossible to convince me of that during the wait. I've been stopped several times and asked questions about it - Teslas and other EVs in particular are extremely rare sights around Northeast Texas, so they tend to arouse curiosities. I've learned that Teslas and Miatas are not good vehicles for introverts to own. 😊

View attachment 929483
Hmm, I have an appointment to get my Outback's windshield replaced next week. $500 from me and another $500 from insurance. Figured I had to do that before trading it in. Plan to go the easy route and trade it in to Tesla. Maybe I shouldn't do that but logistically, it is the easiest.

Can anyone confirm the proper process for getting a vehicle out of inventory when one is on order, and transferring it to your original order as to not have to pay the $250 order deposit twice? I've read about people doing this by calling the delivery center, but curious if anyone knows for sure what the correct way to do it is? I'm stalking inventory and will strike quickly if I see something pop up that matches my build, and would prefer to not have to lose out on the original $250 deposit already paid.

Last edited:
What is your build?

I am getting a little frustrated. Happy for you but frustrated that I have an OD from almost 3 months ago (1/29) and still have no VIN.
I'm starting to think Tesla has a giant bingo ball machine and that's how they select whos order is up next. There really does not seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. I know there are different configs, and production batches, Locations, etc... but I don't think that explains an almost 3 month difference!

Hmm, I have an appointment to get my Outback's windshield replaced next week. $500 from me and another $500 from insurance. Figured I had to do that before trading it in. Plan to go the easy route and trade it in to Tesla. Maybe I shouldn't do that but logistically, it is the easiest.
I was willing to accept less just to avoid making an insurance claim. Even not-at-fault claims have a negative impact on your claim history. For example, you can't control the weather, but if you have a hail damage claim every month, you're either incredibly unlucky or maybe you're a storm chaser and are "high risk". :)

Can anyone confirm the proper process for getting a vehicle out of inventory when one is on order, and transferring it to your original order as to not have to pay the $250 order fee twice? I've read about people doing this by calling the delivery center, but curious if anyone knows for sure what the correct way to do it is? I'm stalking inventory and will strike quickly if I see something pop up that matches my build, and would prefer to not have to pay the $250 fee twice.
Call Tesla - an advisor will need to change the order to avoid paying another $250 order fee.

• Helpful
Reactions: erktrek
I'm starting to think Tesla has a giant bingo ball machine and that's how they select whos order is up next. There really does not seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. I know there are different configs, and production batches, Locations, etc... but I don't think that explains an almost 3 month difference!
I agree! This is just madness.

Sometimes I think I am flagged to not get a VIN. LOL.

I also tried calling the NJ number and ended up sending them an email (waiting on reply). I did just get a response back from the 510 number. Not much help so I have now emailed their suggestion.

from 510 number
Hello - the NJ Charge Up program is a state run program with limited funding. Tesla cannot guarantee funding availability. The state has run out of funding for this period, so the incentive was removed from your order. The store location does not have visibility into the reservation process. Please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Tesla rebate center has responded to my email about the Charge Up NJ. Not able to help and to make it worse they say that if I had ordered in April hey would have been able to submit it. Seems like someone dropped the ball back when our orders were submitted.

We are not able to claim the rebate due to the account not having reserved incentives with the state. However, your vehicle did qualify with the most recent price drops in April as well as the sales tax exemption with the state! State incentives are not controlled by Tesla and are limited to available funding.

The state is allowing Tesla to submit eligible orders and deliveries from 4/3/23-4/17/23 and orders outside that window would be considered ineligible.

As stated in your order agreement, "Tesla makes no promises, warranties or guarantees regarding your eligibility for any incentives, rebates and tax credits (the “Incentives”) related to the Vehicle." We do apologies for the inconvenience but with no current State funding, we are unable to be reimbursed by this incentive.

Tesla Customer Rebates

Tesla rebate center has responded to my email about the Charge Up NJ. Not able to help and to make it worse they say that if I had ordered in April hey would have been able to submit it. Seems like someone dropped the ball back when our orders were submitted.

We are not able to claim the rebate due to the account not having reserved incentives with the state. However, your vehicle did qualify with the most recent price drops in April as well as the sales tax exemption with the state! State incentives are not controlled by Tesla and are limited to available funding.

The state is allowing Tesla to submit eligible orders and deliveries from 4/3/23-4/17/23 and orders outside that window would be considered ineligible.

As stated in your order agreement, "Tesla makes no promises, warranties or guarantees regarding your eligibility for any incentives, rebates and tax credits (the “Incentives”) related to the Vehicle." We do apologies for the inconvenience but with no current State funding, we are unable to be reimbursed by this incentive.

Tesla Customer Rebates
I emailed them as well. I am sure I will get the same canned response.

Now if that is not a bunch of horse crap I do not know what it is! We ordered during the eligibility dates. "outside that window would be considered ineligible" That statement is bullsh*t! Outside that window going forward but not back. State website says who is eligible.

That statement does not cover the fact we were all eligible. They just did not do what they were supposed to do and file when we put our orders in. That is not about eligibility but about incompetence.

They are just trying to cover for their incompetence.

If I do get a VIN and a DD before 5/1, I will politely asked the SA and SC how I am not eligible for a rebate on a car ordered before the cutoff and what was Tesla supposed to do that they did not to cause me to be ineligible but those who purchased after me in April to be eligible.

No update. :( I am losing hope here. My guess is Tesla did put in our orders in NJ for the rebate but until they know the delivery date will be before May 1st they are removing it so we have no proof we were supposed to get it.

Also, Princeton has my build but with 20s! So frustrating!
Hold firm. It'll happen to you too. It finally happened for @erktrek and I.

Tesla Customer Rebates
Got same response and sent a response back that it's their fault not mine and they should honor it some way.

I'm sure that will go no where.

This is all sorts of wrong and corporate misconduct.

Got same response and sent a response back that it's their fault not mine and they should honor it some way.

I'm sure that will go no where.

This is all sorts of wrong and corporate misconduct.

Man that absolutely sucks... you should have a VIN by now.

What the heck did you do? Short Sell $TSLA? Refuse to sign up for Twitter Blue?

🤔

Btw for anyone adding their pre-delivery "vehicles" to insurance, you might want to check out NHTSA's VIN Decoder. It gives some decent info beyond build location.

Some insurance companies may not register certain safety features that the MY has and you could be missing out on some discounts. Probably not a huge amount of course but everything helps...

For USAA these were not checked under discounts when adding:
- running daytime lights.
- front / rear AND side air bags (default was just front/rear).
- Alarm with battery backup (!).
- Any anti-theft system that arms automatically when "key" removed.