Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has nothing to do with Tesla. It has to do with allocated funds running out. You couldn't have filed for the rebate until the process was completed under your scenario, so you still would be out.

You knew this when you ordered the car, I knew that I could lose the $2K when i ordered the car. I ran into the funds issue in 2021 and missed out on $5K, and i was on pins and needles for the $2K this year until I saw my approval end of last week, almost two months after my delivery. So I won one and lost one.
I disagree with this. It is not about "filing" for the rebate" which is done after the sale. It is about allocated funds which, under plan, the manufacturer or dealer has to reserve. Tesla did not calculate that the funds would go dry so they figured they could just file for the rebate after the sale and never reserved the funds at the time the order was placed. Now NJ tells us all that all orders made before a certain date qualify and then mention some 14 day window to notify of an order to reserve the funds. Not sure that 14 window was ever part of the original plan and if Tesla is even interpreting it correctly.

So basically, someone who ordered a car in January when there were funds is SOL but someone that ordered a car between 4/3 - 4/17 is eligible. I believe if those that got screwed all agreed to place a complaint with the NJ Department of Consumer Affairs that something would be done.

I cannot see how this is a "fair" way for Tesla and NJ (may not even be NJ) to handle this.

Also wanted to add this from the press release (bold added by me):

"Based on the program’s current rate of application approvals and eligible vehicle orders, NJBPU estimates that the program’s Fiscal Year 2023 (FY23) funding will be committed by purchases, orders and leases made through April 17, 2023. To accurately capture all eligible orders for the program and ensure that residents have adequate time to receive and register their new EVs with the support of available program funding, the eligibility window for the FY23 program will be paused as of 9:00 p.m. EST on April 17, 2023.

A letter issued by the NJBPU Secretary’s Office provides details on this action, giving applicants sufficient time to accept delivery of their vehicle and complete the purchase and lease paperwork for vehicles ordered within the eligibility window (July 25, 2022 through 9:00 p.m. ET on April 17, 2023) while still accommodating any delays due to supply chain disruptions. Dealerships and showrooms will be required to enter all eligible orders as described in the updated Terms and Conditions. The program administrator will accept and review all applications with an eligible vehicle order, purchase, or lease date within the eligibility window."

Also adding this language from the Terms and Conditions (bold added by me):

"A salesperson or representative for the Dealership or Showroom will submit the incentive reimbursement application, signed Terms and Conditions, and required documentation (outlined in the Required Documentation section of these Terms and Conditions, on behalf of the applicant, within fourteen (14) calendar days of the Vehicle Transaction Date that appears on the contract (Vehicle Transaction Date). The Dealership or Showroom shall be responsible for ensuring that its purchase or lease contract shows the FY23 Program incentive as a line-item deduction.

The Program Administrator will process all eligible incentive reimbursement applications. CSE will directly reimburse the Dealership or Showroom for the cost of providing the incentive once the Program Administrator determines that the applicant was eligible to receive it.
The web-based portal that the Program Administrator will operate (Dealer Web Portal) will block applications submitted more than fourteen (14) calendar days after the Vehicle Transaction Date. • The Vehicle Transaction Date must be on or after the incentive effective date of July 25, 2022.
• Vehicles ordered, purchased, or leased prior to the FY23 Program’s effective date of July 25, 2022, are not eligible for an incentive.
• Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) ordered, purchased, or leased on or after January 1, 2023, are not eligible for an incentive."

So is the Mobile Order Agreement considered our contract or is that signed when we actually make the purchase? I also do not see any "Vehicle Transaction Date" on the Mobile Order Agreement. Also, if this was the case, and any order had to be applied for within 14 days of making the order, then no one waiting from January would be eligible. This just cannot be. Tesla, again, is dropping the ball here. They could have entered all of our orders in before April 17th and they would have qualified. The 14 days, I believe, is after the purchase agreement is signed and you buy the car and not after order date.

Just my thoughts on this situation.

Last edited:
I also called Tesla yesterday and confirmed with the sales advisor that an existing $250 deposit fee paid on an order cannot be applied to another vehicle that may be found in inventory. He said Tesla has changed logistics since 2021 when I bought mine, and the inventory cars HAVE to be going to the same delivery center that I'm going to in order to take delivery, otherwise they are unable to redirect or move them to the other delivery center for me. Even if it's 30 mins or an hour away.

He also claimed that it can't be possible for a vehicle to appear in inventory that matches my exact build and same delivery center. He said that car would automatically be matched to my existing order. I'm suspicious of this but 🤷‍♂️
I have read on here stories of SAs that will shift reservations and not charge extra $250.

• Disagree
Reactions: beewang
I also called Tesla yesterday and confirmed with the sales advisor that an existing $250 deposit fee paid on an order cannot be applied to another vehicle that may be found in inventory.
That's either patently false and he needs retraining or there was some miscommunication or misunderstanding on his or your part.

My vehicle was scheduled to deliver to Tyler, Texas. Less than two weeks ago, I found my exact build in inventory 98 miles away in Dallas. I called Tesla and they assigned that VIN to me without paying another order fee. I drove there last week and took delivery. Others have reported the same.

That's either patently false and he needs retraining or there was some miscommunication or misunderstanding on his or your part.

My vehicle was scheduled to deliver to Tyler, Texas. Less than two weeks ago, I found my exact build in inventory 98 miles away in Dallas. I called Tesla and they assigned that VIN to me without paying another order fee. I drove there last week and took delivery. Others have reported the same.
Interesting. Did you call the general Tesla phone number and select sales to speak to accomplish this? 1-888-518-3752. And did they assign the VIN to you over the phone without you reserving the car on your own online first? My concern is waiting the ~25 minutes on hold to speak to someone to do this if I find a vehicle in inventory vs. grabbing the vehicle myself online.

It certainly does but we still should be getting that rebate if they would have followed the process and reserved the money when we ordered.
The PDRNJ does not do things for your benefit................................ The smart thing would have been to allow a funds obligation when the VIN was issued.

there I go using logic again.....................

Reactions: erktrek
So basically, someone who ordered a car in January when there were funds is SOL but someone that ordered a car between 4/3 - 4/17 is eligible. I believe if those that got screwed all agreed to place a complaint with the NJ Department of Consumer Affairs that something would be done.
Do you think it's possible to "reserve" funds on placing an order step? Tesla doesn't know VIN, customer may change an order, customer may pick up another car or even reject a delivery.

Reactions: Skunis
I disagree with this. It is not about "filing" for the rebate" which is done after the sale. It is about allocated funds which, under plan, the manufacturer or dealer has to reserve. Tesla did not calculate that the funds would go dry so they figured they could just file for the rebate after the sale and never reserved the funds at the time the order was placed. Now NJ tells us all that all orders made before a certain date qualify and then mention some 14 day window to notify of an order to reserve the funds. Not sure that 14 window was ever part of the original plan and if Tesla is even interpreting it correctly.

I cannot see how this is a "fair" way for Tesla and NJ (may not even be NJ) to handle this.

Also wanted to add this from the press release (bold added by me):

"Based on the program’s current rate of application approvals and eligible vehicle orders, NJBPU estimates that the program’s Fiscal Year 2023 (FY23) funding will be committed by purchases, orders and leases made through April 17, 2023. To accurately capture all eligible orders for the program and ensure that residents have adequate time to receive and register their new EVs with the support of available program funding, the eligibility window for the FY23 program will be paused as of 9:00 p.m. EST on April 17, 2023.

A letter issued by the NJBPU Secretary’s Office provides details on this action, giving applicants sufficient time to accept delivery of their vehicle and complete the purchase and lease paperwork for vehicles ordered within the eligibility window (July 25, 2022 through 9:00 p.m. ET on April 17, 2023) while still accommodating any delays due to supply chain disruptions. Dealerships and showrooms will be required to enter all eligible orders as described in the updated Terms and Conditions. The program administrator will accept and review all applications with an eligible vehicle order, purchase, or lease date within the eligibility window."

Just my thoughts on this situation.
It is not up to Tesla. Tesla does not/cannot obligate state funds. The rule as stated is that the app is completed at point of sale. The vehicle does not belong to you until you pay for it in full.

The application that has to be filed includes the Tesla certification with a VIN, as well as your certification and copy of your DL and it is dated for the date of delivery.

It is not up to Tesla. Tesla does not/cannot obligate state funds. The rule as stated is that the app is completed at point of sale. The vehicle does not belong to you until you pay for it in full.

The application that has to be filed includes the Tesla certification with a VIN, as well as your certification and copy of your DL and it is dated for the date of delivery.
So then tell me this? Why did Tesla reply to all of us that cars that were ordered between 4/3-4/17 are eligible? They were not delivered yet and no VIN either but they filed to "reserve" the funds.

I am sorry, but you are 100% wrong. I do not want to start a back and forth here but please do not provide false information. I ordered my car 2 months before people and they are eligible and I am not. No way that is correct.

Interesting. Did you call the general Tesla phone number and select sales to speak to accomplish this? 1-888-518-3752. And did they assign the VIN to you over the phone without you reserving the car on your own online first? My concern is waiting the ~25 minutes on hold to speak to someone to do this if I find a vehicle in inventory vs. grabbing the vehicle myself online.
Yes and yes. Your concern is valid - it's a gamble.

Reactions: beewang and suprax
The new price drop makes going for an inventory with 20" very tempting since it still will qualify for the $3.5K MA rebate. But I shall resist! The VIN assignment for the 19" should not take long, no? After all, the wait is paying off $3.5K ($500 last time plus these $3K). :cool:
Hang tight! I expect you'll get a VIN within days. On the Teslike tracker, there was another MA order one day before mine that got VIN one day before me:

I also called Tesla yesterday and confirmed with the sales advisor that an existing $250 deposit fee paid on an order cannot be applied to another vehicle that may be found in inventory. He said Tesla has changed logistics since 2021 when I bought mine, and the inventory cars HAVE to be going to the same delivery center that I'm going to in order to take delivery, otherwise they are unable to redirect or move them to the other delivery center for me. Even if it's 30 mins or an hour away.

He also claimed that it can't be possible for a vehicle to appear in inventory that matches my exact build and same delivery center. He said that car would automatically be matched to my existing order. I'm suspicious of this but 🤷‍♂️
What they indicated matches my experience. The "Accelerated Delivery" button that sometimes shows up under manage order seems to only show ones in-state and I think only at the same delivery center you're assigned to. At one point I saw a blue one in stock at a different MA location and couldn't select it from the website without making a new order. I even tried changing my order to match the configuration, but it didn't get auto-assigned. I've never seen my exact order in stock in MA, though I did see it once at a RI center that is just as close to where I live, but they won't let you take one from another state either.
However I think others have reported it's possible to change order to another location without paying the $250 fee only if you text/call Tesla directly. I tried also doing that with the blue one that was in stock but it was gone before the Tesla SA replied to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: groenqueen
SA: "The price of your order will be updated automatically within 24-48hrs to reflect the new lower pricing."

Okay, but why did I get an order change email? Will update this space when/if I get the discount.
You’ll see it online, not in the order from PDF, but in the financing section (not sure 100% what this looks like for cash purchases).

I experienced the same thing you did this time around, on the last price cut earlier this month. Same old price on the email but when I went online, price was updated, and same thing this morning.

• Informative
Reactions: LetsGoElectric
Ouch. A week after delivery. This is what I get for getting impatient and switching to an inventory car instead of waiting for mine to arrive. I just cost myself $3,000! :)

I sure am glad money grows on trees and I've got so much of it that I shred it and use it as packing material. NOT!

My brother-in-law's delivery date was scheduled for yesterday, but because the vehicle was shipped to the wrong location (which actually worked out in his favor because it's much closer), he has to wait a couple of days for new temporary tags to arrive. I guess he'll be happy when he hears the news. 😐
I imagine a few days from now he'll be saying stuff like "hey, remember that time we got the same car and I got mine $3k cheaper than you? That was rough, I felt terrible. No, honestly!"

You’ll see it online, not in the order from PDF, but in the financing section (not sure 100% what this looks like for cash purchases).

I experienced the same thing you did this time around, on the last price cut earlier this month. Same old price on the email but when I went online, price was updated, and same thing this morning.
Cash buyer: App is updated with the new pricing and shows in the breakdown, at least for me it is.

I am paying cash, so unfortunately can't see an updated price yet. PDF generated on the web still shows the old price. But sounds like from others' experiences and what the SA said this will get sorted out... probably some long-running cron job and I'm just at the end of the queue :)