Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people are not buying this car with cash, that would be a nightmare for both Tesla and banks to mess around with all those refunds. But if you are financing, 3k is a drop in the bucket maybe 30-40 bucks more a month. As much as I think tesla is dropping prices because they are now targeting volume over margin, interest rates for auto loans are ridiculous right now. I would not be surprised if that was a factor as well. I have well over an 800 credit score and the best rate I could get at a local CU was 5%, 10 years ago I was financing a used car for 3.5% with worse credit. However, I took delivery one week from today so I wouldnt say no to a small refund 😆
Your math doesn't make much sense. If you finance at 5.5% for 60 months it is $57.30/month ($3,438.21). $49.01 at 72 months ($3,528.98). In any case, I'd rather have the funds to do something else with each month...

Reactions: beewang
Just as a data point, I took delivery on April 12th. My registration packet arrived today, April 19th. Now, I get to write another check for $4,000 for taxes and registration. :)

Even with these price drops, Tesla MY inventory doesn't look like it's going all the way down which shows that not as many people are purchasing these vehicles compared to the last few months.
Don't forget that production speed is also increasing - just few weeks ago, Giga Texas hit 4,000 Model Ys per week.

Listened to Tesla's earnings call and from my understanding, Tesla is thinking long-term and informed investors they should be doing the same. Emphasized that there are "macroeconomic situations" aka recession/economic uncertainty and profit-margin could suffer short-term but long-term they see lots of profit potential (especially with FSD/AI potential and other things outside of just their vehicles). Elon mentioned that with interest rates being high, the average person can't really afford these expensive cars so cutting Tesla prices allows them that affordability and ability to purchase their vehicles.

As a company, Tesla is looking to grow, continue rapidly increasing production speed and expanding, etc so the stock short-term will probably suffer but as a company and the stock in terms of long-term, things look great for Tesla.

Therefore, I do indeed foresee more price cuts in the future but just not sure by how much.

Last edited:
All those waiting for their vin or vehicles that have yet to be delivered...PRICE DROP!!!!!
Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 9.25.22 PM.png

Reactions: erktrek
Took delivery this afternoon. The car is very good shape except there is a gap on the rear bumper on the passenger side. There is no scratch on the paint. Interior looks great! The SA let me check inside the car before paying them. I traded in my RAV4 hybrid and the whole process was complete in an hour. It would be faster if I did not spend so much time checking everything. Drove the car to a PPF shop for a full Expel Stealth treatment and window tint. Will get it back by Saturday. Can’t wait! Good luck, everyone!View attachment 917569
Congrats. I'm thinking about trading in my 22 Rav4 SE hybrid for a m3sr. How did your trade in value compare to kkb? My wife got a MY last month and driving the Rav4 such a downgrade from the MY.

Listened to Tesla's earnings call and from my understanding, Tesla is thinking long-term and informed investors they should be doing the same. Emphasized that there are "macroeconomic situations" aka recession/economic uncertainty and profit-margin could suffer short-term but long-term they see lots of profit potential (especially with FSD/AI potential and other things outside of just their vehicles). Elon mentioned that with interest rates being high, the average person can't really afford these expensive cars so cutting Tesla prices allows them that affordability and ability to purchase their vehicles.

As a company, Tesla is looking to grow, continue rapidly increasing production speed and expanding, etc so the stock short-term will probably suffer but as a company and the stock in terms of long-term, things look great for Tesla.

Therefore, I do indeed foresee more price cuts in the future but just not sure by how much.
Yep. I, too, heard Musk say that it's better to sell cars at low margins (even zero margin!) and instead make money selling FSD. He thinks FSD will come this year. If you've taken delivery recently like I have, I'd mentally prepare for even more price cuts. :)

Investors aren't pleased, but as I've gleaned from the last few earnings calls and investor day, Tesla is on a mission to "save the world" and seems to not care what other automakers are doing and any investor gains are a side effect instead of a primary goal.

SA: "The price of your order will be updated automatically within 24-48hrs to reflect the new lower pricing."

Okay, but why did I get an order change email? Will update this space when/if I get the discount.
Following on up this: the PDF Order Agreement online now shows the correct price. As others mentioned, well before the PDF was updated all I needed to do is tap on "View" in the Cash section of app to see the discount yesterday. Issue resolved.

Reactions: LetsGoElectric
  • Informative
Reactions: groenqueen
Okay, so here's the story (I hope I'm remembering all the details correctly and in the right order).

My BIL ordered on January 15. His original delivery location was Dallas, but that was later updated to Tyler (can't remember if he was able to request that or if Tesla did it). He's much closer to Tyler. Like the rest of us, his EDDs kept moving all over the place and he was growing impatient. I found his exact build in Dallas inventory, but it was gone in less than an hour before he got my message. There was another one in Houston, which was even farther away than Dallas, but he was able to have it assigned to him. After an unusual delay, he finally got a delivery date, but the location showed Tyler. It turns out that Tesla forgot to change the delivery location from Tyler to Houston when he had the inventory vehicle assigned. That was updated and everything was in order for a Houston delivery. Well, he got a call from Tesla yesterday who told him the vehicle that was scheduled to ship to Houston was accidentally shipped to Tyler. They had scheduled it to be brought back to Houston, but thankfully, someone realized the shipping error actually worked out in my BIL's favor since he's much closer to Tyler so they left it there. The downside is there will be an unexpected delay while they wait on temporary tags to be issued in a different county than originally planned, but the upside is that he'll only have to travel 38 miles to pick up his Model Y instead of 211 miles.
Tomorrow is my brother-in-law's big day! The delay caused by the shipping error saved him $3,000 - that lucky rascal! I'm mad because I'm the one who prompted him to order in January after learning about the price cut and tax credit. He ordered a week before I did, but I sure paid the price to get mine a couple of weeks earlier! :)

Tomorrow is my brother-in-law's big day! The delay caused by the shipping error saved him $3,000 - that lucky rascal! I'm mad because I'm the one who prompted him to order in January after learning about the price cut and tax credit. He ordered a week before I did, but I sure paid the price to get mine a couple of weeks earlier! :)
the 3k stings a bit but nothing I am going to lose sleep over. I do feel bad for people who bought on the price increases this year and really bad for people who bought in 22, they are getting the worst of it.

Here's my update. the TL,DR is - i picked up the car and paid an extra 2k.

Showed up at the Springfield NJ for vehicle pickup this morning. Pushed about the 2k rebate issue with several of the SAs at the counter (each one had a different made up story that didn't help). Talked to the sales manager, who said he'd look into things and eventually just told me to reach out to the tesla rebates group email address (which gave me the same nonsensical answer it gave everyone else). I then spoke with the delivery manager, and was making the point that i had reached out to the service center multiple times over the week prior to try and pick up the car yesterday instead but no one ever answered the phone or got back to me. I expressed how frustrated i was that if they had just let me pick up the car Monday, they would have saved me 2k. she listened but wasn't going to do anything about it. I contemplated delaying the delivery for a few days (which she said she could do) to see if something gets sorted out with this rebate. Eventually i just caved and took delivery rather than prolong the annoyance. Car had a couple of minor marks they buffed out on the spot but otherwise looked good.

Still pissed about the 2k and hate the tesla customer service experience but the car is amazing. hopefully this does get resolved but i wouldn't hold out much hope.
I picked up the car yesterday evening. Arguing with the Sales rep about the 2k rebate didn't help much. They were giving everyone the same canned responses. Given that it is a Point of Sale rebate, Tesla customer rebate sends the application once the vehicle delivery has been made. Since NJ closed the rebate offer as of 9:00pm on 4/17, no new applications could be sent in. The May 1st extensions were for sales prior to the 4/17 cutoff. Tesla does not send in rebate applications for orders placed in order to reserve/secure funds. I did email [email protected], but didn't even get the canned response from them.
Anyways, we were exhausted with the excruciating wait from 1/23 and just wanted the process to be done and over with. I inspected the car thoroughly. No major issues. One headlight had a noticeable gap, which we made a service appointment to have rectified (if possible). A small scuff that was buffed out. The paperwork process was simple. We signed, for the key cards, paired the phones and were off.
The only bright spot was the car and drive back home was simply awesome. All the hype is truly worth it. The next morning's price drop stung as well, but I just chalked it up to my rotten luck.