Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure you have much of a choice depending on the model, options and location. The MYP seems to be made exclusively at Fremont though.

Fremont has traditionally had the advanced matrix headlights, mud flaps and possibly splash guards while Austin has trunk covers (I think). Austin's build quality was initially inferior due to ramp-up but now seems to be much improved maybe (almost) at the same level as Fremont.
My wife’s MYP delivered last month from Fremont and doesn’t have mud flaps.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: beewang and erktrek
I am taking bets on how much the electrician estimate will cost for the wall charger install.

Detached garage and electric box in my basement. About 40-50 feet away from where charger will be installed.
$2000.. Are you going under ground conduit or overhead? We went overhead because we did not want to dig up our driveway which had been recently repaved. Remember you will need a 60 amp breaker and maybe upgraded service.

Reactions: Skunis
I had a MYLR ordered in the configuration I wanted. There is an April 30 deadline for a state rebate and there was no way my car would be here in April. I saw a MYAWD in inventory, so I converted to that car on April 14, thinking I would get it in April. I just got the schedule delivery for it and the first available date was May 5, so I scheduled for May 5. So I won't get the state rebate.

At this point, I'd rather have a MYLR If I can have it within a month or so. If I see a MYLR I like in inventory, is there any way to switch to that new car without paying another $250 order fee. If not, I am assuming I can order it and cancel the scheduled one and just lose the $250. Is that correct? Thanks.

$2000.. Are you going under ground conduit or overhead? We went overhead because we did not want to dig up our driveway which had been recently repaved. Remember you will need a 60 amp breaker and maybe upgraded service.
Under ground conduit. There is one already from the house to the garage but it only goes about half way or so and there is a 3-5 foot gap to the conduit into the house. I had a 50 amp installed (I believe) for the NEMA 14-50 and did not have to have any service upgraded so hopefully for a 60 amp it is the same. I know I have plenty of space in the breaker box.

On the website for one of the electricians I saw a picture of a separate breaker box in the garage just for the charger. I am not an electrician so not sure how they do that with the electric service at the garage but all the electric wiring going into the house under ground.

One electrician coming Thursday and another coming Friday.

Reactions: erktrek
That is a lot. I paid, this is 4 years ago, about $900 to install a 14-50 Nema outlet and 50 amp breaker. Same situation going under our patio.
I mentioned we paid $3K for ours - but ran 2 lines: one to side of house - NEMO 14-50, one overhead to detached garage - Tesla Charger. Since I'm friends with the electrician and we do projects together I don't think he was purposefully trying to rip me off just the complexity of the install and length of cables etc and what the market will bear for this area. They did not install a panel in the garage just went direct.

I got lucky because my panel is in my garage, so my cost to install a Wall Connector was about $60 for a breaker, wire, and conduit plus about 30 minutes of my time.

The biggest expense for an electrician will be labor ($100-250/hr. depending on market, overhead, greed, etc.). The second biggest expense will be wire. An electrician's cost for three 6 AWG THHN conductors in 3/4" conduit is about $3.25/ft.

So, figure:

Labor = ?/hr.
Wire/conduit = $3.25/ft.
60A breaker = ~$30
Inspection = ? (my city charges $75, but that varies)

Add that up and you can get an idea how much profit they're making.

Reactions: imgcs and erktrek
Called two electricians from Tesla's site in my area. One is coming Thursday. The other cannot come until late next week. Already booked for estimates all this week. I just said no thanks. I need the charger hooked up for when the car is delivered.

Crossing fingers that they do not overcharge knowing that we get $1500 through the electric company and NJ.

Only issue for me is the wiring from the garage to the house (detached garage). It has to go underground and when my Nema outlet was installed the electrician found that the conduit did not go all the way under the patio (way for my builder to cheap out when building the house). That electrician was able to figure it out. Of course I will not mention that to this electrician. :)

Happy to pay the full $1500 as it is nothing out of my pocket. :)
Central Jersey is expensive. My first quote was around $3K. I am yet to call other electricians.

Reactions: Skunis and erktrek
I am taking bets on how much the electrician estimate will cost for the wall charger install.

Detached garage and electric box in my basement. About 40-50 feet away from where charger will be installed.
Try this, they will give you free online quote.

Update on NJ $2K rebate. Just received this email. Looks like you need to pick up car by May 1st to receive this rebate.

Due to the program nearly out of available funding. Please submit these documents by 04/27/23 so we are able to submit your application by the May 1st program deadline.

We do apologize for the short turnaround time but due to the program funding availability, we want to ensure you are able to receive the incentive as stated in your contract.