Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion of Model 3 Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@03DSG and @Runt8 ?
[
1006532284_1_644x461_r65000-cash-mercedes-benz-c200-sedanfull-service-historyaccident-fre-johannesburg.jpg
Other than the slightly similar part along the top I think they look almost completely different. Are those even LEDs?

The M3 headlights seem to have a number of individual reflectors. Does anybody know if they they operate similar to the "cornering LEDs" on the new Model S (i.e. more illuminate as the steering wheel turns)?
One would assume that yes, they will operate the same. Don't believe it has been confirmed or mentioned anywhere, so just speculation at this point.

The model 3 lights look like every other car model that does not have halos or audi lights for the last 10 years.
I agree.

Model 3's daytime runners look like the DRLs when the technology first started to be popularized, i.e. a boring shape whose sole purpose is to illuminate in the day time. In recent years, automakers have become more adventurous with the styling of their DRLs. No longer do they exist just to make the car safer, but they add personality and have become a style element.

Tesla embraced this styling on the S/X with arguably some of the best and most recognizable DRLs in the industry. So many people tell me they've seen Teslas on the road because the DRLs are what caught their attention and identified the car. I'm the same way. Seeing a Model S in dusk lighting is an incredible spectacle, and despite other commenters in this thread, I find them to be unique. DRLs are often the first thing that draws you to a car on the highway, and Tesla DRLs snap my head into full-on ogle mode faster than that of any other car.

Seeing Model 3's DRLs, I was left rather disappointed. They don't look cool or futuristic, nor do they follow Tesla's design language. They're just... there. I don't hate them, but there's nothing to love because they're boring. In that sense, it is a step back, which is strange considering Tesla typically steps forward.

I believe this was yet another attempt to make Model S/X more desirable than the 3, rather than a conscious design choice because Franz thought it looked good.

In fact, older Model 3 renders show the bottom reflector lit up as if it was a DRL. This was also my first thought after seeing it at the reveal. Had Tesla gone the double DRL direction, I would've been more than pleased. It looks awesome. Or perhaps the original design intent was only the bottom strip? It would make sense since you still get the halo/wrap around effect of S/X, but it wouldn't wrap as much or look as cool, which would be perfect for a car of its price point. Hell, even the top DRL in the below render appears to wrap more and have an elongated taperered shape to it which also looks rad. It's also unique.

But instead we just got that dull, amorphous blob. Disappointing and likely an Elon anti-selling decision when presented with the original sketches of an awesome looking car. "Can you make the car look less cool?"

rlGQouf.jpg

I agree.

Model 3's daytime runners look like the DRLs when the technology first started to be popularized, i.e. a boring shape whose sole purpose is to illuminate in the day time. In recent years, automakers have become more adventurous with the styling of their DRLs. No longer do they exist just to make the car safer, but they add personality and have become a style element.

Tesla embraced this styling on the S/X with arguably some of the best and most recognizable DRLs in the industry. So many people tell me they've seen Teslas on the road because the DRLs are what caught their attention and identified the car. I'm the same way. Seeing a Model S in dusk lighting is an incredible spectacle, and despite other commenters in this thread, I find them to be unique. DRLs are often the first thing that draws you to a car on the highway, and Tesla DRLs snap my head into full-on ogle mode faster than that of any other car.

Seeing Model 3's DRLs, I was left rather disappointed. They don't look cool or futuristic, nor do they follow Tesla's design language. They're just... there. I don't hate them, but there's nothing to love because they're boring. In that sense, it is a step back, which is strange considering Tesla typically steps forward.

I believe this was yet another attempt to make Model S/X more desirable than the 3, rather than a conscious design choice because Franz thought it looked good.

In fact, older Model 3 renders show the bottom reflector lit up as if it was a DRL. This was also my first thought after seeing it at the reveal. Had Tesla gone the double DRL direction, I would've been more than pleased. It looks awesome. Or perhaps the original design intent was only the bottom strip? It would make sense since you still get the halo/wrap around effect of S/X, but it wouldn't wrap as much or look as cool, which would be perfect for a car of its price point. Hell, even the top DRL in the below render appears to wrap more and have an elongated taperered shape to it which also looks rad. It's also unique.

But instead we just got that dull, amorphous blob. Disappointing and likely an Elon anti-selling decision when presented with the original sketches of an awesome looking car. "Can you make the car look less cool?"

rlGQouf.jpg
TLDR; The Model S has stylized DRL's just like everyone else which makes it stand out.;)

• Funny
Reactions: tracksyde and Runt8
Or perhaps the original design intent was only the bottom strip? It would make sense since you still get the halo/wrap around effect of S/X, but it wouldn't wrap as much or look as cool, which would be perfect for a car of its price point.
I knew I had a render to back this statement up, but I couldn't find it. Of course it's on the OG renders Tesla sent out with a reservation!

model-3-poster-e1466343982687.jpg

I think this looks way more snazzy, but not too snazzy that I would prefer it over S/X. Maybe these will be the DRLs on the Y?