Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Geez, I can never get my car to remember that I want auto-high beam on! I always have to re-enable it.

I have noticed similar behavior to what you are describing, but I wouldn't characterize it as flashing at other cars. Yes, it may briefly switch to high beams and then go back to low beams just as it recognizes a car in the distance, but at least my experience has been that the cars in question are still quite a distance away. I don't even give it a second thought that the other drivers would interpret that as me flashing them.

I think I have heard that it is a requirement when using AP, but like I said, my car seems to refuse to go into auto high beam mode unless I specifically enable it. That said, I'm not usually using AP when it's dark out, unless I'm on a trip (which is somewhat rare).

Just saw this
Software Updates

Tesla Vision and Cabin camera updates 📷
Tesla started delivering the first vision only 3s and Ys and here are some interesting findings:
The cabin camera is also used to detect if the driver is distracted while using Autopilot
Autopilot hard limit is 75 for now
You can't disable auto high beams while on AP
Summon and lane departure avoidance can't be enabled at the moment

Looks like step backward.

(moderator note: post moved from a separate created thread, to the master thread on this topic)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah so my 2 cents here after taking delivery on Monday:

Autopilot works fine so far during the day (haven't had to drive in the rain yet)
At night, coming back from MA, I had the auto high beams on without thinking of anything, engaged AP, everything was fine and then I was approaching a car and the high beams were still on (too close in my opinion to the car in front) I was sure I was blinding the poor person in front of me because let me tell you these headlights on the MYP on high are BRIGHT, so I turned them to low beams and got the warning from AP that it needs to stay on for it to work.

So to me, this is a safety issue that needs to be worked on, it doesn't work when you're about 4 car lengths away from the car in front of you and your high beams are still on.

Where does one submit feedback on this to Tesla?

Just hit the voice button and say, "bug report," followed by whatever you want to report. But make it quick, because they don't give you much time.

It's worth reporting, because the car will save data and footage from the moments before the report and send them in when you're on Wi-Fi again.

Last edited:
Yeah so my 2 cents here after taking delivery on Monday:

Autopilot works fine so far during the day (haven't had to drive in the rain yet)
At night, coming back from MA, I had the auto high beams on without thinking of anything, engaged AP, everything was fine and then I was approaching a car and the high beams were still on (too close in my opinion to the car in front) I was sure I was blinding the poor person in front of me because let me tell you these headlights on the MYP on high are BRIGHT, so I turned them to low beams and got the warning from AP that it needs to stay on for it to work.

So to me, this is a safety issue that needs to be worked on, it doesn't work when you're about 4 car lengths away from the car in front of you and your high beams are still on.

No point submitting feedback I’m sure tesla is well aware their freaking engineers. If you read the memo about tesla vision they’re doing over the air updates over the next few weeks/months so everything in the beginning won’t be 100%.

I know this is not the waiting room thread but looks like I wont have to ask my SA or Tesla to put a hold on my Model Y order till Vision gets resolved/updated. Got an update today showing estimated delivery window of August 7, 2021 - Sept 6, 2021. I had placed my order May 9th. Hopefully its “fixed” by then
Max

Reactions: BitJam
Kind of mind boggling to me. Did they not take the damn cars out at night to test this AP thing??? Or course they did!!! Hence the "You need to have high beams on at night for AP to work" message and notation. WTF are they thinking, what a complete half-ass decision and rollout.

Expect nothing less from Tesla now. Waymo is right about pretty much everything related to Tesla and their "autopilot" and FSD dreams.

Oh well, delaying my order for a month or two, wait for the tax credit issue to maybe resolve, and this new radarless car nonsense.

Or just go buy a 2yr old 2019 LR AWD with FSD for a few thousand less than a new one and some warranty left and go from there.

Will see!!

Another note, how does my VW Jetta lane hold without high beams?!?! It's not required to be turned on and uses a single camera in the rearview mirror? Also, it's auto high beams actually work amazing. Never had a single car flash me because it didn't pickup on them hundreds of feet ahead and go back to regular beams.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitJam
I wondered that too. The wiring harness is likely still there, but if you plug it in, will the software recognize it? Also, if you have a car with radar and you unplug it, will it automatically use Tesla Vision?

Mike
Looking behind the frunk button door, yes the radar 7 pin harness still exists. Look like it was waiting there for the services center to complete the task. 😆

Attachments

• 20210604_111657.jpg
    20210604_111657.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 677
Looking behind the frunk button door, yes the radar 7 pin harness still exists. Look like it was waiting there for the services center to complete the task. 😆
That's very good news. Hopefully Tesla can refit the radar once it becomes more easily available. I don't care about full self driving. I want the best forward collision warning possible and radar definitely beats vision in that respect.

That's very good news. Hopefully Tesla can refit the radar once it becomes more easily available. I don't care about full self driving. I want the best forward collision warning possible and radar definitely beats vision in that respect.
Is radar just one component though? I thought there were multiple sensors around but maybe it’s just one emitting in different directions

You can find used 7 pin Tesla units for sale on the web (eBay etc) +-$250. I would doubt connecting the unit would be as easy as plug and play. Probably the VIN/vehicle ID does not have the Radar required SW enabled. Wishful thinking.