Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dissing Tesla Reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toyota has plenty of failures but sudden acceleration isn't one of them. I do thank that scare for letting me buy a Prius really cheap though.

I would have gone with engine sludge.

Vehicles affected include:

Model year(s)Make/Model
1997-1999Toyota Celica 4-cyl.
1997-2001Toyota Camry 4-cyl.
1997-2002Toyota Camry and Avalon V6
2001-2002Toyota Highlander V6
1998-2002Toyota Sienna V6
1999-2001Toyota Solara 4-cyl.
1999-2002Toyota Solara V6
1997-2002Lexus ES300
1999-2002Lexus RX300
Vehicle Engine Sludge | Consumer Reports

The Tacama truck frame recall was also quite notable, but I was thinking of more recent examples.

I am also very convinced that there was in fact a sudden acceleration problem. Some people died, just like the GM ignition.

The Tacama truck frame recall was also quite notable, but I was thinking of more recent examples.

I am also very convinced that there was in fact a sudden acceleration problem. Some people died, just like the GM ignition.

and straight from that link

many of them were determined to be caused by pedal misapplication, and the NHTSA noted that there was no statistical significance showing that Toyota vehicles had more SUA incidents than other manufacturers. Other investigations were closed because the NHTSA found no evidence that a defect existed.

As in some people died because they didn't understand how to turn a car off. And some got hurt because they pushed the wrong pedal.

I guarantee you that if you put me in any gas powered car at 90 mph I can get the cars engine to turn off if you haven't modified the stock controls.

And I guarantee you that any car will accelerate if you push the long skinny pedal on the right.

As in some people died because they didn't understand how to turn a car off. And some got hurt because they pushed the wrong pedal.
Of course people have been pushing the wrong pedal on cars for as long as there have been cars. Mostly this is about the dangers of an unfamiliar, and perhaps poorly maintained, rental car.

My Tesla Model S has not suffered a single failed component in over two years and 32,000 miles of ownership. I've had the drive unit swapped a few times due to noise, but that's it. I had some initial quality issues when the car was first delivered, all of which were resolved within a few days of delivery. What Tesla has accomplished with their first production-quality vehicle is nothing short of amazing.

My Tesla Model S has not suffered a single failed component in over two years and 32,000 miles of ownership. I've had the drive unit swapped a few times due to noise, but that's it. I had some initial quality issues when the car was first delivered, all of which were resolved within a few days of delivery. What Tesla has accomplished with their first production-quality vehicle is nothing short of amazing.

You're painting a rosey picture of it, but in my book that means you've had two failures and however many initial quality issues there were. I wouldn't consider that good reliability.

I would certainly agree that the considering the small budget, team and timeframe with which they put together the S the quality is extremely impressive. I would consider it to be good compared to the rest of the industry though.

not to be argumentative but I would consider needed a drive unit replaced would fall into the failure column

Many here would disagree with you. A failure in my book means an actual failure. Something being noisy doesn't rise to that level in my book.

The part was unacceptable and needed to be replaced. That's a failure. Its not in the same league as a failure that leaves you stranded or prevents you from driving the car, but its a failure none the less.

We have a difference of opinion. An annoyance it is, a failure it is not.

TrueDelta divides those by asking:Has your (car year/brand/model) returned from a repair trip since (quarterly survey start date)?

and then you have to decide what matters to say yes or no?

Wondering what to report?

Always report a repair trip that includes one or more of these:

• Diagnosis of a problem
  • Repair of a problem
  • Repair due to recall

Do not report a trip if it includes only

• Minor routine maintenance (for example, an oil change)
  • Diagnosis or repair of an excluded wear item (see below)
  • Aftermarket modifications or a problem caused by such a mod
  • Windshield and body damage caused by scrapes, dings, rocks, objects in the road, and collisions.

Replacements of these wear items never count as problems:

• Light bulbs (not headlights!), unless the replacement took longer than 10 minutes
  • Tires
  • Suspension alignment
  • Fluids (oil, coolant, etc.)
  • Filters
  • Wiper blades

Replacements of these wear items only count for the first 24,000 miles:

• Brake pads and rotors
  • Clutch lining
  • Battery (except hybrid pack, which always counts)
  • Spark plugs and wires
  • Accessory belts

Always report the replacement of a timing belt

Always report the replacement of headlights

I'd say from that list a drive unit gets reported pretty much no matter why it got replaced because it took time to take it in for replacement and it isn't considered a wear item.

So all the Model S owners complaining about tire wear and alignment don't drag down the stats but anyone that went in for a drive unit does.

Tesla goes above and beyond to replace some minor annoyances so if it truly is something where you didn't make an extra trip and wouldn't bother to do so just for that item, sure don't report it / don't think of it that way. But if it was enough that you'd make the drive to the service center just to have that unit replaced then I'd say it counts as a repair trip.

We have a difference of opinion. An annoyance it is, a failure it is not.
Certainly it not the same kind of failure as the TDI's battery shorting out and requiring a tow (can't jump a shorted battery). In my opinion, TrueDelta is thinking of an ICE drivetrain replacement, which is a big deal, rather than a Model S drivetrain replacement which is not. So there is a case to be made for not reporting it.

Yeah just keep on driving it with the slightly annoying noise--it's not a problem unless it leaves you stranded, and if they come pick you up and give you a loaner, well then it doesn't really count as a failure either! Sign me up for some of that.

Note the survey asks if the car returned from a repair trip, it doesn't say that you have to go with it. :)

Yeah just keep on driving it with the slightly annoying noise--it's not a problem unless it leaves you stranded...

That's exactly what Tesla is telling customers and many owners have no issue with this. No car is absolutely silent, and there is a range of noises that the car makes that Tesla considers normal. For instance, the balloon squeal. While it's annoying and sounds weird, it is completely normal. Just because it makes a noise does not mean there is a failure, and this is a perfect example.

That's exactly what Tesla is telling customers and many owners have no issue with this.
just because some owners are apt to accept whatever nonsense tesla tells them does not change things from being a failure and not being a failure, there are failures and there are FATAL failures. I and many others do not and did not accept the all is well malarkey that we were being sold and demanded and received the necessary repairs. I do not accept failure to go unresolved in any purchase I make.

- - - Updated - - -

Note the survey asks if the car returned from a repair trip, it doesn't say that you have to go with it. :)
in my instance and I suppose in others as well I needed to get the car to a service center for them to record the sound for the techs at the mothership to listen to before a unit replacement would be authorized. that trip was over 250 miles of driving and between the time spent in the shop and the driving time it was an over 12 hour day.
FWIW: the local service center that was promised and was my motivation to by the car is still far far away from ever being reality.

I guarantee you that if you put me in any gas powered car at 90 mph I can get the cars engine to turn off if you haven't modified the stock controls.

And I guarantee you that any car will accelerate if you push the long skinny pedal on the right.

Keep in mind that it is easier said than done. Also, don't turn off the car as you will lose power steering and brake booster assist. Just pop it in neutral.

Yes, there were some people that simply pressed the wrong pedal. Yes, there was at least one idiot in debt trying to create an incident in a Prius perhaps for some quick money or publicity. Yes, perhaps some weren't too keen on Toyota becoming the #1 automaker and politics were at play. But Toyota did screw up.

in my instance and I suppose in others as well I needed to get the car to a service center for them to record the sound for the techs at the mothership to listen to before a unit replacement would be authorized. that trip was over 250 miles of driving and between the time spent in the shop and the driving time it was an over 12 hour day.
FWIW: the local service center that was promised and was my motivation to by the car is still far far away from ever being reality.

Understood. In my case the nearest center is 185 miles away in Nashville, TN not a drive I'd want to take for repairs. I'll gladly concede you have the farther drive.

I'm looking forward to the day that they open up more stores and service centers within the eastern third of my state.