Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Do I buy a 2016 model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Looking for your advice on which EV to buy, as I've been considering this for a long time.

Factors to consider:
I'd like to spend 20k or less, but could stretch to more.
I transport materials, and my bike, so I want a good sized boot.
I travel 500 mile journeys usually once a month.
I'd like to be able to camp in it on a rare occasion or emergency.

The cars I've been considering are Model 3, high efficiency but small boot. Model Y, lower efficiency but outside budget. MG4/Kia Niro cheap to buy with 3k miles, but poor supercharging access for long journeys.

The curve ball option, is a used 2016 Model S with free supercharging. Available for about £20k with 50k miles, 6 months warranty. Benefit is it's huge inside, with unlimited access to Free SC network, downsides maybe poorer autopilot, expensive repair costs, I dont know, so I'm here to ask for your feedback as owners, what would you buy from what I've said, and from any other option you think that I should consider?

Thanks 👍🏻

Reactions: TheLastDon
I have a 2018S with dad and almost never use it ..can be dangerous with random braking and frankly more relaxed just doing it myself unless the motorway is very deserted.
Guessing you might do 3k a year free supercharged which is worth 5/600 squid? So unless you have one local to you it's not that good a deal.
Check what the warranty covers..headlights @£2k each, screen burns etc and give it a total inspection beforehand.

That said they're comfortable for long journeys and relaxing to tool about in. Make sure you have aa or RAC etc cover in case of punctures or recovery needs...

Reactions: Michael C
The value for money is clearly with the Model 3 for a *much* younger vehicle ... the boot is not small ... but obviously it's a boot and not a hatch so only you can judge if it could work or not. When buying the 3 we really thought the lack of hatch could be an issue but in practice it hasn't been. A 2016 car is not only out of general warranty you don't even have your 8 year battery/motors warranty.

The main downsides to the Model S of that age other than reliability/warranty etc will be

- Range will be relatively low at around 200 miles. I had a 2015 90D and it struggled to do 200 miles back then on the motorways.
- Charging speed will be relatively slow, so topping it back up (say adding 150 miles of useable range) will take longer than on some of the other cars you've mention.
- The big screen will be struggling unless it's been upgraded, which it may have been, and it might glitch etc.

They are a big relatively comfy cruiser for sure, with lots of space, but they do feel their age compared to the newer cars.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but it sounds like you are stretching to buy this car. Please keep in mind that owning a Tesla comes with hidden costs like tires. Tires for a Tesla wear out faster and are more expensive. For example, I just got a set of tires on my Ford Fusion Hybrid for ~800USD at Costco. For a Tesla that's going to run you around 1800. I'm not sure how your registration for cars works where you live, but in my state my car registration went up from 200 to 900 a year. Also, my insurance rate went up. Please consider these points. You might better off just getting a cheap hybrid.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but it sounds like you are stretching to buy this car. Please keep in mind that owning a Tesla comes with hidden costs like tires. Tires for a Tesla wear out faster and are more expensive. For example, I just got a set of tires on my Ford Fusion Hybrid for ~800USD at Costco. For a Tesla that's going to run you around 1800. I'm not sure how your registration for cars works where you live, but in my state my car registration went up from 200 to 900 a year. Also, my insurance rate went up. Please consider these points. You might better off just getting a cheap hybrid.
Thanks for the advice, I'm merely looking for best value for money verses functionality. Luckily I live in the uk where prices are much cheaper, for the 2016 S 90D insurance is $250 more (reduces after year 1), tyres are $100 each which is similar to my current car, and registration (called VED here) is nil for electric cars.

Reactions: TheLastDon
Thanks for the advice, I'm merely looking for best value for money verses functionality. Luckily I live in the uk where prices are much cheaper, for the 2016 S 90D insurance is $250 more (reduces after year 1), tyres are $100 each which is similar to my current car, and registration (called VED here) is nil for electric cars.
That's great! Glad to hear. 100 dollars each for tires? Wow, we are getting ripped off here in the states!

Hi all

Looking for your advice on which EV to buy, as I've been considering this for a long time.

Factors to consider:
I'd like to spend 20k or less, but could stretch to more.
I transport materials, and my bike, so I want a good sized boot.
I travel 500 mile journeys usually once a month.
I'd like to be able to camp in it on a rare occasion or emergency.

The cars I've been considering are Model 3, high efficiency but small boot. Model Y, lower efficiency but outside budget. MG4/Kia Niro cheap to buy with 3k miles, but poor supercharging access for long journeys.

The curve ball option, is a used 2016 Model S with free supercharging. Available for about £20k with 50k miles, 6 months warranty. Benefit is it's huge inside, with unlimited access to Free SC network, downsides maybe poorer autopilot, expensive repair costs, I dont know, so I'm here to ask for your feedback as owners, what would you buy from what I've said, and from any other option you think that I should consider?

Thanks 👍🏻
Autopilot version 1, which I believe is on 2016 models is still amazing to this day for highway driving. It stays dead center and operates so smoothly. Little to no phantom braking, and any odd moments are very predictable. Plus you can still set the level to 1 and stay very close in stop and go traffic, and it will go up to 90MPH.

I've owned a 2015 Model S for 5 years. I've put over 65K miles on it. It's been extremely reliable and only has a 10% loss in battery capacity.

The M3 has a much bigger boot than you realise with the underfloor storage and you can fit a decent amount in with the seats down. The key issue is the boot aperture and it does miss out not being a hatchback. But, M3 does have a tow option (if specced from new) so you could carry your bike on the tow ball. I’ve an LR and move my kids to & from Uni with all their stuff, bike etc in the M3.

Even with a roof box fitted for those everything plus the sink journeys, I still get over 240 miles on a charge. The efficiency is worth thinking about.

Free supercharging can beat efficiency but it does depend on it continuing to be offered. I actually think the free premium connectivity is more useful.

Try both. It's the only way. The S is a big fat land yacht but it's a great way to travel. Charging is a bit slower but mine still peaks at over 100kw so it's not too shabby compared to my previous EVs.

Free supercharging can beat efficiency but it does depend on it continuing to be offered. I actually think the free premium connectivity is more useful.

2016 S should have both free SC and connectivity. Since Spotify introduced Audio books the connectivity that comes with far is really been put to use. My home ‘student’ Spotify account doesn’t get me access to Audio books, where it seems like the Tesla ones doesn’t event have a 15hr time-limit per months. Gone through 3 books this month already in the car :).

Reactions: srichards