Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you keep FSD after a crash resulting in total

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your Tesla with FSD package crashes and results in a total, does your FSD get Transfered to the new Tesla?

Watched this and it said Tesla made him pay for another FSD package...
I was kind of on the fence about FSD but this seems down right scammy and terribly apathetic.

If your Tesla with FSD package crashes and results in a total, does your FSD get Transfered to the new Tesla?

I was kind of on the fence about FSD but this seems down right scammy and terribly apathetic.

There is no case in which FSD transfers to a new car for the same owner that I am aware of (none). So, the answer to your question is, "no, FSD does not get transferred to your new tesla, and yes you need to re buy it if you decide you still want it on a new tesla, in all cases".

This is also not a model 3 topic, which is why it was moved to the autopilot subforum

Thanks, but I don't have FSD and didn't get in a crash.

Since its not your car or video, perhaps you were looking to join a discussion on this topic. If so, here is a thread with a lot of discussion:

i watched this video earlier, pretty sure that was an insurance issue.... he had to pay out of pocket to get FSD on his new car cause his insurance wouldn't cover that cost, i'm guessing he bought it after the initial purchase so it wasn't on his bill of sale and he never reported the purchase to his insurance.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
i watched this video earlier, pretty sure that was an insurance issue.... he had to pay out of pocket to get FSD on his new car cause his insurance wouldn't cover that cost, i'm guessing he bought it after the initial purchase so it wasn't on his bill of sale and he never reported the purchase to his insurance.
I wonder if you can sue the other driver if they are at fault in order to collect the money

Reactions: mcirish
I wonder if you can sue the other driver if they are at fault in order to collect the money
Depends on the state. However, if the other driver is at fault, it would likely be easier to argue the true value of the car included the FSD package than it would be if you were seeking coverage through your own insurance. Insurance companies are generally more generous paying liability coverage to others than they are paying collision/comprehensive coverage to their own customers.

The video said "State Farm Insurance". If that's true and their on going policy of how to handle FSD I could not be happier I dropped them many years ago. Our Travelers even covers our PPF much less FSD and any other add ons.

Definitely a call to your state Insurance Commissioner sounds like a good idea.

Hmmm. I have wondered about this too, specifically what would Tesla insurance do? If you bought it new and it's on the window price sticker, as mine is/was, it seems like there would be a pretty good case for getting it covered. I mean there is really no cost for Tesla to do this. It would be a good question for me ask them since I have Tesla Insurance...

Hmmm. I have wondered about this too, specifically what would Tesla insurance do? If you bought it new and it's on the window price sticker, as mine is/was, it seems like there would be a pretty good case for getting it covered. I mean there is really no cost for Tesla to do this. It would be a good question for me ask them since I have Tesla Insurance...
I'm curious as well.

I don't know if anyone with Tesla insurance has totaled their car with FSD.

Seems rather silly for Tesla to have Tesla insurance pony up for it, and if it comes with the car I believe the insurance company has to cover it.

Someone just totaled my Model Y. I have Tesla insurance, and I had FSD. Will find out pretty soon how this goes. Even though I was not at fault, I'm filing through Tesla because chances are the driver who hit me has lower property damage limits than the replacement cost for my vehicle which is near 100k..

Someone just totaled my Model Y. I have Tesla insurance, and I had FSD. Will find out pretty soon how this goes. Even though I was not at fault, I'm filing through Tesla because chances are the driver who hit me has lower property damage limits than the replacement cost for my vehicle which is near 100k..
It should be part of the value of your loss and covered by insurance. Should be even more-so with Tesla Insurance. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

Hi @ruraltessla , I am in a similar position where I got hit by a drunk driver with no insurance. and Tesla insurance is offering me only $4081 for FSD but if I have to purchase it right now, its 15k +taxes. May I know what happened in your case? I am planning to negotiate with them but they rarely pick up the phone.

Hi @ruraltessla , I am in a similar position where I got hit by a drunk driver with no insurance. and Tesla insurance is offering me only $4081 for FSD but if I have to purchase it right now, its 15k +taxes. May I know what happened in your case? I am planning to negotiate with them but they rarely pick up the phone.
if you buy a replacement tesla, tesla should just give you FSD... just saying, doesn't cost them anything.
at minimum prorate over 300,000 mile life span.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks