Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Elon Musk's recent claims about rapid production in late 2017 being assured for the Model 3 I can think of little reason that test mules won't be available for test drives by Q3 of 2017. It would make sense for each Tesla retail location to at least get 2-3 cars for those who have pre-orders as well as other potential customers the opportunity to do a test drive before 2018.
Why do you think Model X vehicles weren't available until just recently for test drives? And by just recently, I mean just recently in limited areas and only if you're lucky. Allowing test mules to be driven by customers would be a huge mistake, and one that Tesla is very unlikely to make. My guess is they'll have production vehicles available for test drives after they've delivered to the Tesla and SpaceX employees at the earliest. However, keeping with the way they've done business to date, it'll more than likely be after Tesla, SpaceX, Model S and X owners all get their cars. Then, things will start to make their way out into the public.

Maybe they'll do it differently this time, but with the number of preorders who are likely to order without touching one, I don't see any reason for them to prioritize early test drives.

I really hope to be able to drive it before confirming the order. If it will delay the delivery too much, say 1 year, I may choose to go for it nevertheless.

I expect the 3 to be fun and dynamic to drive (and not only in straight line) so a bad handling would be a turn-off for me.

The $565 per year maintenance, you'll see if you look around here, is something that is often discussed (contested?) and in my opinion, excessive.

I also dont believe that the cost to maintain a Tesla is anywhere NEAR maintaining a German car, unless you're talking about doing all the work yourself. No fluid changes, except for battery temp management? No air filters, aside from the cabin filter. I dunno.. I just dont see it.

As far as needing a battery in 8-10 years, I doubt that as well. Sure, if you want to "maintain" the same amount of range as new. But if thats is what you're expecting, perhaps a battery powered car is not for you. All batteries degrade. But I also believe that in the future, maintaining a Tesla battery is going to much easier since the pack is composed of multiple sub-packs. There will be aftermarket options, just as there are aftermarket options for Priuses.

Also keep in mind you probably wont need to replace your brake pads nearly as much in an electric vehicle since it will be taking advantage of regenerative braking most of the time. The only thing that worries me about getting a Tesla is my increased use of tires since I will be compelled to floor it everywhere.

And lastly, I realize it doesnt apply to most, but I guess the free charging I get at work really helps with the "extremely cheap to maintain and operate" for me.
Your right that the service îs extensive and yes it has nothing to do with the car but all to do with paying for the sales people and paying for the rent of the showroom/service centre. Expect the model 3 service costs to be cheaper than the model S as way more people will buy the 3 and it's a cheaper car.
Regarding test drive, not needed for most people as most people including me are coming out of sh1t boxes according to the thread what car are you currently driving. So I'm confident it to be better than my old 2003 merc c180.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luke42
I can tell you that I'm a reservation holder and I will not configure and buy my car until I've done a test drive. I'm even more firm on that with the faster ramp up plan. I have a bad feeling there's going to be some serious issues in the early going. I have no doubt they'll iron them out in short order but there will be issues.

I've wanted a Tesla for a long time and I'm so excited to have one but I won't sacrifice poor quality to have it. I might be in the minority in that.

Exactly. As will nearly everyone else that was eager enough to stand in line and put down a thousand bucks sight unseen.

Of course they will eventually have demo vehicles, but I don't see this being an urgent "as soon as possible" priority.

Reactions: navguy12
I drove the Model S and that was enough for me to get a feel for autopilot and electric driving. I'm not concerned about Tesla being able to keep their promise of delivering a good car in this price range. I've seen them extend warranties on the Model S when the drive motors were having issues and so I expect them to continue standing behind the quality of their products with the Model 3.

This isn't Elon's first startup.

I can tell you that I'm a reservation holder and I will not configure and buy my car until I've done a test drive. I'm even more firm on that with the faster ramp up plan. I have a bad feeling there's going to be some serious issues in the early going. I have no doubt they'll iron them out in short order but there will be issues.

I suppose I don't understand what sort of "serious issues" you could possibly become aware of in the course of a ten minute test drive. Sounds to me you'll be more comfortable farther down the production line whether you get a test drive or not.

In general, out of all the research and information gathering I do before purchasing a car, I find the obligatory around-the-block test drive to be practically useless for anything beyond verifying the most basic of conditions like "do I fit in the seat". Which admittedly is important, but probably not an issue unless you're on the far reaches of the bell curve.

I test drove the Leaf and thought it was a blast, but definitely not "M3 blast". I have a 340xi and the Model 3 needs to offer similar levels of engagement for driving. Even if the

Model 3 is not going to be a low maintenance vehicle. Tesla charges Model S owners $565 a year for "maintenance". After 8-10 years the car likely needs a battery replacement if you need to keep the range near the original numbers.

If you add all of that up then the Model 3 is going to cost much more to maintain than most German cars over a 10 year period of time.

I didn't read the whole thread so this may have been discussed at length already... The annual service for the Tesla is optional and even if you don't have it done it does not affect your warranty. Also keep in mind that there is no oil to change and the brakes will wear out extremely slowly since regenerative braking is so strong--I can manage to get around town with hardly ever using the brakes except to fully stop (regen can get you to about 3 mph on a flat road) or to stop abruptly. After our first year we had the service done and honestly it didn't seem necessary. We're now at two years and the only thing we've had to do is rotate the tires every 5,000 miles and replace the wiper fluid. We're getting ready to get new tires which will be the biggest cost to us so far.

On top of that, electricity is so much cheaper than gas where we live, even at $2 a gallon.

As for the battery, we've lost less than 1% per year, so after 10 years I would anticipate it being at over 80% of the original range--maybe more. Of course, by then there will be much cheaper batteries and we'll be able to upgrade to a much higher capacity anyway (if we haven't upgraded already).

I didn't read the whole thread so this may have been discussed at length already... The annual service for the Tesla is optional and even if you don't have it done it does not affect your warranty. Also keep in mind that there is no oil to change and the brakes will wear out extremely slowly since regenerative braking is so strong--I can manage to get around town with hardly ever using the brakes except to fully stop (regen can get you to about 3 mph on a flat road) or to stop abruptly. After our first year we had the service done and honestly it didn't seem necessary. We're now at two years and the only thing we've had to do is rotate the tires every 5,000 miles and replace the wiper fluid. We're getting ready to get new tires which will be the biggest cost to us so far.

On top of that, electricity is so much cheaper than gas where we live, even at $2 a gallon.

As for the battery, we've lost less than 1% per year, so after 10 years I would anticipate it being at over 80% of the original range--maybe more. Of course, by then there will be much cheaper batteries and we'll be able to upgrade to a much higher capacity anyway (if we haven't upgraded already).

The brake fluid on a Model S is supposed to be changed every 25k miles or 2 years and the battery coolant every 62,5k or every 5 years, so those larger service visits will need to be done by Tesla if you choose to follow the maintenance schedule.

You'll be able to see how the car is put together. All it takes is one read around the S or X forums to read about body panels not lining up, things not functioning properly, etc. Things you'll definitely be able to see on a test drive or in the showroom. If the demo model displays these issues I would have no issue at all declining to configure mine when it becomes available and getting the extension to give them a little more experiance with building them.

I'm comfortable that I'll be able to test drive one and see it in the showroom long before I get mine since I'm an East Coast buyer and around 200,000ish in line.

I suppose I don't understand what sort of "serious issues" you could possibly become aware of in the course of a ten minute test drive. Sounds to me you'll be more comfortable farther down the production line whether you get a test drive or not.

In general, out of all the research and information gathering I do before purchasing a car, I find the obligatory around-the-block test drive to be practically useless for anything beyond verifying the most basic of conditions like "do I fit in the seat". Which admittedly is important, but probably not an issue unless you're on the far reaches of the bell curve.

That doesn't fundamentally change anything. I expect the conversion rate from reservation to sale will be extremely high on early reservations.
Of course, if there is no competition.

It's just funny all of the posts describing people waiting in line for a car they've never seen as being "crazy", but in a light-hearted nudge,nudge good way. Rather it's common sense if you want a $7500 tax break and quicker delivery. Nothing was expended but a 100% refundable deposit and a few hours of time.

I cannot imagine spending that much money on a vehicle that I have not personally driven so I voted that I need a positive test drive. While this car is not a car for the masses it is a mass market car made for an audience that traditionally does not purchase cars without driving them. I have decided not to purchase a car after a test drive before, and this will be no different. With that said, I fully expect they will have a car at each showroom for reservation holders to drive if they would like before confirming orders.

Reactions: voip-ninja