Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret buying (or not buying) FSD?

If Tesla offered your money back for the FSD package, would you take it?

• Yes, I would take my money back if offered.

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • No, I am happy I bought the FSD package.

Votes: 118 38.1%
  • I did not buy FSD and I still would not, even if the price were reduced to $3,000.

Votes: 88 28.4%
  • I did not buy FSD but I'd buy it today if Tesla reduced the price back to $3,000.

Votes: 60 19.4%
  • Other. Explain in your post.

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't expecting FSD features to start being introduced for some time. I am one that keeps my cars for a long time so I still have plenty of time for the features to start getting released. Now if in 5 years they still haven't released any FSD features then I will be wishing I hadn't unless they offer a refund (I don't expect anything other than the $3k option price).

If they release the new computer next year I expect it will be some time before they put them into existing cars with FSD. I also expect a year delay for the new hardware to achieve parity with AP2. However since they have a bit more control over timing of the transition this time, they may have a longer time before the HW change but it will be closer to parity of AP2 in functionality at release than the AP1 to AP2 switch over. I don't have much expectation for FSD features for 2 years or so. That will still give me 7+ years of use out of FSD features.

Unless the FSD is fully working even in my sleep (Around Level 4~5 Autonomy), I would not pay ahead even if it is brought down to $3000 for paying ahead.

If it is fully working and ready to be used, then I don't mind paying $5000 or even more within the reasonable range of cost.

It sure worked to advertise the car and I fell into it thinking I would get FSD around early 2017. I can't be alone. I was mesmerized by FSD on Oct. 15th 2016 reveal and that was the main reason I triggered Model S purchase within a week. Many including me probably thought that FSD would come at least by late 2017. Regardless of the FSD, I fell in love with Model S and the Tesla brand so much with its smooth acceleration and quite ride and bought more cars.

With the FSD ready and quick 0-60 and interior improvement, the Tesla cars would crush the competition in the auto segment. FSD will definitely play the big role in that.

As an owner since 2012....I’ve never seen Tesla lower the price for anything! FSD will only get more expensive going forward.

Rare but it did happen before.

They recently lowered the Model 3's white interior from $1500 to $1000.
Also Model S battery upgrade (S60-->S75) via software $9K --> $7K --> $2k and/or some people report they got it free at SC.
Model X battery (X60-->75) AFAIK went down to $4.5K for the software upgrade but not to $2K. Correct me if I am wrong.

But yeah in general we see increase like Dual Motors going $4K-->$5K-->$6K
Red Paint $1K --> $1.5K --> $2K --> $2.5K
White Paint $1K --> $1.5K --> $2K
Other non Black paint $1K --> $1.5K

Those just popped up in my mind.

Fell into the “never say never” trap! My point was, as you showed, more likely to be a smart move to buy FSD now.

This assumes that FSD (or features for the "FSD" package that you value sufficiently) becomes available before your car has become obsolete. If they develop L4 in a decade (something I think is within the realm of possibility) I will buy a new car with the feature, as I'm certain it will have better hardware than a ten-year-old retrofitted car.

Paying for FSD now is a statement of belief that it's coming sooner than I believe it is. I paid for EAP because it already existed. I'll pay for FSD when it exists. (Or even L3 if it seems to me to be good enough.)

As of now, only a few people who bought FSD want their money back, and only a few who didn't buy it would do so if the price were lowered back to $3,000. Most are happy with their decision, with the number of poll respondents who bought it being more than the number who did not.

Test drove an M3 and MX at a service center in Pittsburgh. I’m happy with the abilities of the current Auto Pilot. We didn’t order the FSD because it feels like you need to baby sit the car. The feeling of NoA, auto lane shift, summon and self parking reminds me exactly when my daughter was learning how to drive. I don’t trust it. So why pay for something you can’t trust nor fully use yet ? FSD is exactly like sponsoring a tech product in indiegogo. As an early adopters, you get discount perks and the money that you gave them is for research and development. The best time to purchase is when it’s perfected. Even if Tesla jacks up the price in the future, you maybe able to tax deduct it especially if you are joining the Robotaxi fleet as a business expense? For those who paid for FSD ahead of time and did financing, then FSD cost much much more due to accrued interest. There’s also a chance of lowering the price because of mass production or competition may not be too far behind.

Reactions: Dan84
No you don’t! You get screwed with being overcharged and only get EAP instead of FSD for the same price. ($5000)

ReyesOzaeta was referring to supporting a tech start-up through Indiegogo. They give you perks and discounts. The main point was that it's better to wait and buy FSD when it actually works. And that if you finance the car with FSD you're paying more because of financing charges than if you pay cash for FSD later (when it actually exists and works).

I'd happily give Tesla money for research. But I want some stock in return. I'm not giving them money on the promise of technology that won't mature during the time I expect to own my car.

Reactions: pilotSteve
ReyesOzaeta was referring to supporting a tech start-up through Indiegogo. They give you perks and discounts. The main point was that it's better to wait and buy FSD when it actually works. And that if you finance the car with FSD you're paying more because of financing charges than if you pay cash for FSD later (when it actually exists and works).

I'd happily give Tesla money for research. But I want some stock in return. I'm not giving them money on the promise of technology that won't mature during the time I expect to own my car.
Exactly. By the time FSD is out I’ll be on my next (or third) Model 3.

I’ll get it when it’s fully functional

Got a new release of the software last week and I must say it leaves a lot to be desired. FSD is still making the same stupid mistakes that it made almost a year ago when the car was new.

Just changed my vote on the survey to "would take my money back if offered".