Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodge Demon 1/4mi 9.6 @ 140 - 0-60 2.3sec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
I just hope we (civilized Tesla enthusiasts) don't turn into the ICE monsters I see all over YouTube racing channels...
"The Tesla doesn't count because it's electric!"
"The Tesla doesn't count because you have to spend an hour fueling it!"
"The Tesla doesn't count because it's AWD!"
"The Tesla doesn't count because it's a one trick pony!"
"The Tesla doesn't count because after one race, your battery is empty!"
"The Tesla doesn't count because only rich kids can afford it!"
etc, etc, etc....

Let's not drop to that level; we're better than that...
The Dodge Demon is a street legal production car; regardless of how different it is from the majority of the cars on the street. The same thing that we, Tesla owners, faced when we rolled down the street all excited about our new ride; it was different than anything anyone had seen before. That didn't make it a lie or a cheat; it just made it different.

While I get (kind of, after maybe 4 beers) the whole:

"My car can do 0-60 in 2.XX seconds and when I take it to the drag strip I do the quarter mile in 10.XX seconds"...

"Yeah, but the rolling start shaves off 0.02 seconds so you can't compare those numbers to the Motor Trend numbers"...

"Well, the 30-60 time is the really important number, that really is what counts when racing"...

"Yeah but can the car do 6 laps without overheating, thats the TRUE test of a real car"...

Blah, blah, blah...

Honestly, sure there is a sub-culture that absolutely lives and dies this stuff, just like most people here live and die Tesla cars and EV's in general. But from a "bigger picture" standpoint, who makes the fastest production car is absolutely irrelevant. By "bigger picture", I mean from an "earning money" perspective, and even from a "normal user" perspective. The sub-culture that lives in the niche that cares about this will go apoplectic over every magazine cover where another 0.01 second is shaved off some timing run or another.

I used to be a regular drag strip guy back in the 1970's. But when you really get down to it, whats the point?

From a business standpoint, I don't expect, and certainly don't want, Elon and company to invest $0.01 in making any effort to "One up" the next "Demon" or "Veyron 2" or whatever. I'll ask the obvious question once again: What is the point?

RT

Ya know what? I'd be FAR more impressed if FCA could get this kind of power out of something that could actually turn. This kind of power in, say a Ghibli S or Alfa Giulia QF WOULD actually be impressive and might even make me curious to spend my own coins. This? Just...just no. Honestly the only ICE cars that are even on my radar anymore is the new GLC63 AMG crossovers and the Alfa Stelvio QF. Now would be a good time to show at Model Y prototype, Elon.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
From a business standpoint, I don't expect, and certainly don't want, Elon and company to invest $0.01 in making any effort to "One up" the next "Demon" or "Veyron 2" or whatever. I'll ask the obvious question once again: What is the point?

The point is Money. Why is the P Series $37K more only for only faster times? Its because people are willing to pay for it to say they have the quickest production car.

That is truly impressive if true. I had somebody tell me the other day that a Hellcat did it in 7.6.
I told him to check his numbers!

:eek:

This will just egg Elon on and I say go for it!

0-60 in zero seconds! 1/4 in 10 milliseconds! Bring it on! Oh...that's HyperLoop.:) Next stop...Warp Drive.

If anybody can do it, Elon and Tesla can.

Time for Elon to announce a limited edition P100DL with no rear seats, no passenger seat, no frunk liner, and barely legal drag radials, In addition to it already be a stripper, no sound system at all plus anything else they can remove. Good for 0-60 in 2.1.

Honestly the vast majority of times a manufacturers claims of 0-60 can be met without a professional race car driver is is rare and even when it's possible, it's usually not consistent.

I remember when Dodge released the Neon SRT-4. It was a fast car that rivaled a stock Corvette. I had a Corvette, was intrigued, and went to the Dodge dealership to test drive it. Yes, it was fast... but it was, after all, a Dodge Neon (with a ridiculously tuned engine). I'm feeling a little deja vu with the Challenger Demon.

It's fairly apparent that Dodge made this for marketing purposes. If they had half a brain, they would have done this to the Viper to save it. Instead, they put a beast of an engine into a $21k car. Minimum $80k premium making it a $100k car. The P series for $37k premium is a deal in comparison.

Reactions: GSP
IMG_4529.JPG
I am a car enthusiast! It's part of what drove me to look at Tesla! I appreciate the auto industries creative culture and engineering. The Dodge Demon looks like a very impressive unique release! I will give Dodge credit it's a bold move for a production car, and has created a lot of talk and buzz! I like it! It's fast, it looks cool, and dodge has put into production a lot of ice racing tricks of the trade. Using the ac to deliver cold air to the intake was genius! Comparing the p100d to the demon is apples and oranges.
Fwiw, I sold my modified challenger to get our tesla! Two totally different animals! Yet both very impressive machines!

Ok, I watched the video release. For those who don't have 86 minutes to waste, here's a very cynical rundown:

- Skip 26 minutes because the countdown is... 26 minutes? WTH?
- The host is who I envision the demographic. Sort of a DB, but at least he's better on his feet than that Faraday Future guy.
- Overproduced and lots of plugs for various suppliers.
- The last Viper produced comes out, which Penzoil uses for adverts. They even made a movie on it with lots of sound effects... Plus they jacked up the rear end of the Viper on a 3 foot jump :(
- Then a rundown of the Fast and Furious music videos ending with an award for Dodge bragging about how many singles they've sold and how many Youtube hits they received. WTF?
- Then another video of a CGI demon busting out of a cage, smashing a cute white rat on the mean streets of Detroit, and then - for some reason - it decided to eat a gas tank. Fitting, actually. Then it blows up for some reason.
- The "cage" had a sign, "Warning, ferocious animal inside."
- Then the "head of passenger cars" (not sure why he's there when the Demon has one seat) began to give one of the most moronic Yogi Berra-esque speeches. How they shouldn't have made the car, it was a secret project, the engineers were geniuses, etc. Here are some quotes:
  • "We've made the playing field less level by taking things to the next level."
  • "You will know its name - whether you know it or not."
  • "Back seat to no one." After stating it doesn't have a back seat.
  • Lots of qualified statement, "First purpose-built, street legal, production drag car" built on a Saturday in July. It sounded like baseball statistics, "Johnny hits .340 on home games against the Cubs."
  • "Release the beast" coupled with a graphic of a jockey photoshopped on T-Rex.
- We're over an hour at this point.
  • "This is a car that earned a flight manual."
  • "At Dodge, we don't keep our courage in a cage."
  • "We have a higher octane coursing through our veins."
  • "The is the most technologically advanced street legal...."

- Then "security protocols" were engaged, the cage was "initialized" and finally the reveal at 70 minutes.
- Guess what, it was a Dodge Challenger.
- Then Vin Diesel shows up because they paid him a lot of money.
- Finally a rap music video with the Challenger Demon.

Objectively, the Demon has a higher horsepower than the Model S by roughly 150 hp. Until the material composition is confirmed, there cannot be many comparison. The Model S uses aluminum. If the Demon uses steel, the material used to make the car will offset the single vs multi-seat comparison.

Plus it will run the same times as long as there is gas in the tank. No degradation in performance based on the state of charge analog for a fuel tank...
Actually... you get a better run time (theoretically at least) when your ICE is low on it's energy storage; just the opposite of our cars.
There's a couple things like that which I find interesting between EV & ICE that are polar opposites.
Warm Day - EV Advantage
Cool Day - ICE Advantage
High 'Fuel' - EV Advantage
Low 'Fuel' - ICE Advantage
And others I can't think of right now... interesting though!

ob·so·lete
(ŏb′sə-lēt′, ŏb′sə-lēt′)
adj.

2. Outmoded in design, style, or construction: an obsolete locomotive.

im·prac·ti·cal
(ĭm-prăk′tĭ-kəl)
adj.
1. Unwise to implement or maintain in practice: Refloating the sunken ship proved impractical because of the great expense.

un·in·ter·est·ing
(ŭn-ĭn′trĭ-stĭng, -tər-ĭ-stĭng, -tə-rĕs′tĭng)
adj.
Arousing little or no interest or curiosity; boring.